Ventilation for Hipower cells

How do you store and manage your electricity?
Thomas
Noobie

Post by Thomas »

My first conversion - all help appreciated :)

It's a Kia van. Total 100 x 100ah HiPower cells. The odd distribution is to accommodate the crosspieces on the chassis. The battery boxes will straddle the crosspieces and be sunk into the floor, to finish flush with the floor so that the interior is unchanged.

The photo below is how I hope to arrange the cells at the back. I have removed the spare wheel. This battery box will sink into the spare tyre well. It will sit between two chassis crosspieces.

With a group of 37 cells bunched together like this, is it enough to have 10mm ventilation space below and 20mm at the top, or do I need to leave 10mm between each row of cells?

Ambient temperature is 35 degrees with 90% humidity. There will be forced ventilation of the boxes by 12v 380 milliamp fan.
Thomas
Noobie

Post by Thomas »

More info: the cells in the photo will go in the area of the diagram marked 500 x 900.
Richo

Post by Richo »

Have you allowed room on the top of the cells for the bus bars and BMS?
These cells don't need ventilation like old flooded cells.
Just cooling - depending how hard you push them.
But with 32kWh of capacity 3C is still around 80-90kW.
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!
Thomas
Noobie

Post by Thomas »

Thanks Richo. I'll measure the headroom.

Please comment...

1. With LiFePo I understand that they don't vent toxic gas in normal operation or if they rupture, so the Prius uses cabin air to cool it's pack.

2. Since I live in a very wet area I'd like to use cabin air since it'll be via the aircon all the time, hopefully keeping the ambient temp to 27 celsius and the pack temp to 30-35. The traffic here is so bad I rarely crack 80km/h. Average speed around 40km/h with aircon running so I hope to be at 1.5C most of the time.

2. For air circulation I plan 10mm underneath, 30mm (more headroom) on top, and 2mm between each row to avoid heat buildup by conduction in the centre of the bunch.