DC-DC Converter Charging

How do you store and manage your electricity?
KDRYAN
Groupie

DC-DC Converter Charging

Post by KDRYAN »

Is there any reason I shouldn't wire my IOTA DLS-55 DC-DC converter with constant power connected from the main battery pack. I require 12 volt to support the BMS while charging the main battery pack, I am not running a seperate 12vdc charging system to charge the aux from the mains.
coulomb
Site Admin

DC-DC Converter Charging

Post by coulomb »

KDRYAN wrote: Is there any reason I shouldn't wire my IOTA DLS-55 DC-DC converter with constant power connected from the main battery pack. I require 12 volt to support the BMS while charging the main battery pack, I am not running a separate 12vdc charging system to charge the aux from the mains.

I read a poll about this recently. It was very roughly equally divided, with a slight majority switching their DC/DC, some running it continuously, and the minority not using a 12 V battery at all (and hence running the DC/DC all the time also).

So it's not unheard of. Personally, I'd switch the DC/DC, but that's just a preference. It has to be HV fused, of course.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
lithbattboss
Groupie

DC-DC Converter Charging

Post by lithbattboss »

coulomb wrote:
KDRYAN wrote:It was very roughly equally divided, with a slight majority switching their DC/DC, some running it continuously, and the minority not using a 12 V battery at all (and hence running the DC/DC all the time also).

So it's not unheard of. Personally, I'd switch the DC/DC, but that's just a preference. It has to be HV fused, of course.

...."the minority not using a 12V battery at all". I am surprised to hear this since under NCOP14 a separate auxiliary battery MUST be used. It is not permitted to just use a DC/DC converter supplied via the traction pack.
Where power matters.
XPS Power cells 25C discharge for high performance applicatiopns.
www.lifetechlithium.com
coulomb
Site Admin

DC-DC Converter Charging

Post by coulomb »

lithbattboss wrote: I am surprised to hear this since under NCOP14 a separate auxiliary battery MUST be used. It is not permitted to just use a DC/DC converter supplied via the traction pack.

This was likely on DIYelectriccar, with a predominantly American readership. The land of the free, and all that.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
lithbattboss
Groupie

DC-DC Converter Charging

Post by lithbattboss »

OK fair enough. But we are in Oz and not Obama Land so we need to go by the Oz regulations.
Where power matters.
XPS Power cells 25C discharge for high performance applicatiopns.
www.lifetechlithium.com
KDRYAN
Groupie

DC-DC Converter Charging

Post by KDRYAN »

Thanks guys, my aux battery is in, but small (lawn mower) at least that part of the regs is covered.