Sky Energy LiFePO4 Bulk Buy this Week

How do you store and manage your electricity?
Powered By DC
Noobie

Post by Powered By DC » Thu, 07 May 2009, 09:43

For those that were not aware we just finished a bulk buy from Thundersky of over 150,000AH . It went very well and we had several requests for the Sky Energy cells so we have decided to make the same offer on the Sky Energy cells as we did for the Thundersky cells.

We have started a Sky Energy bulk order that is being submitted to China this week.

Sky Energy has discontinued the "TK" cells that they were making for Thundersky.
As of this month they are now making the SE cells that have a slightly better discharge rating of 4C vs the TS cells at 3C and 12C pulse vs the TS cells at 10C

We are ordering 100,000+ amp hours to get a lower $/Ah price from Sky Energy.
Over 1/3 is already committed to individuals.

The price available is $1.10 USD per Ah. We can have the cells shipped to your nearest port for only the actual shipping costs. You will be responsible for all taxes or duties.

Here are the remaining cells that are not yet committed and still available:

100 of the SE 60 Ah cells at $66 each plus shipping and customs

312 of the SE 100Ah at $110 each plus shipping and customs

150 of the SE 180Ah at $198 each plus shipping and customs

Sky Energy has these sizes available in the SE cell. 40 Ah, 60 Ah, 90 Ah, 100 Ah, 120 Ah, 160 Ah and 180 Ah.
The 120 Ah is on the list, but not in regular production yet.

If you want one of the sizes that is not currently part of our extra cells in the order, I need to know ASAP to add it to the purchase order.
We don't need payment this week, but we do need a firm committment if you are requesting a size other than those on our extras list.
We selected 60 Ah, 100 Ah and 180 Ah because those are the most popular.

The SE 180 Ah cells are interesting because they have the same physical dimensions as the Thundersky 160 Ah cells but are more energy dense at 102 wh/kg and 159.48wh/l compared to 91.43wh/kg and 144.16 wh/l on the 160ah TS cells

The 100ah and the 180ah are the most energy dense large format LiFePO4 cells on the market that I am aware of.

Last edited by Powered By DC on Thu, 07 May 2009, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Kois
Current EV Tech, LLC
http://www.currentevtech.com

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Thu, 07 May 2009, 18:15

Weber and I are interested in this. But we are concerned about the cost of the double shipping (China to Seattle, then Seattle to Brisbane). I believe that there is someone from Australia that is part of this buy (or maybe the last buy, of Thunder Sky cells). If you are an AEVA member, what is/was the shipping arrangement?

Are any other Aussies interested? Maybe we could get them to split the shipping, part to an Australian port, and we can road frieght to other cities from that port.

We'd be ordering 40 Ah cells, so it sounds like we need to be quick with this.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Thu, 07 May 2009, 18:25

The other question is, does anyone know if this Powered by DC mob are Fair Dinkum? For example, none of the photos of their only conversion to date shows the motor or battery. There are also very few details on their web site.

Powered By DC
Noobie

Post by Powered By DC » Thu, 07 May 2009, 18:40

We would be shipping the cells for AEVA members directly from China to your nearest port. If several of you end up purchasing them we can probably combine the shipping. Yes there was 1 person from Australia that was part of our TS buy. The shipping quote for that order was under $300 USD.

I know that we did not put much info on our conversion website. I put it together myself and I am certainly not a web designer. We are currently having a web designer build the parts website. I can provide pictures of what ever you want from the conversions we have done if requested. We have done several Rav4's with TS batteries and we ae currently Working on converting the first of 7 2009 Rav4 EV's I used the BMS from Rod Dilkes for the Rav that is on the website.

We can also Provide references to anyone who needs them.

We also just purchased 30+ AC55 motors and inverters, several Enova 90KW inverters hundreds of Kilovac contactors, fuses and fuse holders etc from a bankrupt company and will be able to give very good pricing on this stuff.

We are providing a 1 year warranty with the purchase of the bateries
2years if you purchaes the BMS from us. The BMS we are offering is from Elithion www.elithion.com

Last edited by Powered By DC on Thu, 07 May 2009, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Kois
Current EV Tech, LLC

zeva
MSN: sigmunky@hotmail.com

Post by zeva » Thu, 07 May 2009, 21:08

I'm really looking forward to hearing people's feedback on these Sky Energy batteries. Kudos to everyone who's taking the plunge with a different manufacturer, I hope the cells perform well.

Seems like ThunderSky have enjoyed a bit of a monopoly for a few years because they're the only brand to have earned much of a reputation, which is a bit of a "chicken and egg" problem for other manufacturers! But some healthy competition could do wonders for the industry.

PS: Sorry, I myself don't need any more batteries right now Image
Ian Hooper
--
"Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world." - Margaret Mead
http://www.zeva.com.au

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Thu, 07 May 2009, 21:32

Powered By DC wrote: We would be shipping the cells for AEVA members directly from China to your nearest port.
Ah, excellent.
... We also just purchased 30+ AC55 motors and inverters, several Enova 90KW inverters hundreds of Kilovac contactors, fuses and fuse holders etc from a bankrupt company and will be able to give very good pricing on this stuff.
Wow, cool.
We are providing a 1 year warranty with the purchase of the bateries
Ah, that answers another question. Thanks for the assurances!

antiscab

Post by antiscab » Fri, 08 May 2009, 01:57

hi Guys,

I was the one who participated in the TS bulk buy.

the shipping for me should be done through China Post.
for larger orders, this probably wont be possible (each package has a weight limit of 20kg).

Matt
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber » Fri, 08 May 2009, 06:49

Powered By DC wrote: Sky Energy has discontinued the "TK" cells that they were making for Thundersky.
As of this month they are now making the SE cells that have a slightly better discharge rating of 4C vs the TS cells at 3C and 12C pulse vs the TS cells at 10C

Dave, I note that the SE cells say charge 3.6 V and discharge 2.0 V while the TK cells say charge 3.9 V and discharge 2.5 V (very similar to TS). Can you explain why these differ so much? Are the SE still LiFePO4? Do they still have a no-load voltage at mid-charge of around 3.3 V? Is the 12 C pulse rating based on the cell voltage falling to 2.0 V rather than 2.5 V? If so, it wouldn't be a fair comparison with the TK or TS 10 C pulse rating.

Do clamping plates and straps and screws come with the cells, included in the price? If so, are they for a fixed number of cells per block? If so, how many?

Are electrical links and their screws and washers included?

Sorry for all the questions.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber » Fri, 08 May 2009, 07:30

Apparently some Sky Energy factory photos here
http://www.evdl.org/archive/index.html# ... td23251023

Also some discharge curves that look mighty strange when they go below about 2.3 V. I don't think I'd be taking them down there, and if this is how they get their higher capacity figures I think it's a bit dodgy.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).

Powered By DC
Noobie

Post by Powered By DC » Fri, 08 May 2009, 23:36

The SE cells are still the LiFePO4 chemestry just changed a bit. They are a step closer to being a large format nano phosphate battery. If anyone wants more info about this please contact me off list.

We have been testing the 100ah cells and they have been impressive. The cells we have tested had more than the rated capacity.

The clamping plates, straps and screws come with the cells and are included in the price. They will package them to your requirements. for the smaller cells I have seen as high as 18 packed together.

The electrical links and their screws and washers are included in the price.
Dave Kois
Current EV Tech, LLC

Powered By DC
Noobie

Post by Powered By DC » Sun, 10 May 2009, 20:31

Update on the bulk buy:

We have two bulk orders from China currently in process.
One with Thundersky and one with Sky Energy.
Delivery is expected in late June or July.
The price on both is $1.10 per AH plus customs and shipping.

On the Thundersky order:
What have ordered 144,000 AHs of cells.
92% of this order is sold and committed to individuals.

It is too late to change the quantity and sizes of the cells.
Here are the remaining extras from Thundersky that are available and on the way.

49 of the 100 AH cells at $110 each

http://www.thunder- sky.com/pdf/ 20092201189. pdf

44 of the 160 AH cells at $176 each

http://www.thunder- sky.com/pdf/ 200871782241. pdf

On the Sky Energy order:

We have ordered 100,000 Ahs of cells.
About 75% of the order is already committed to individuals.
The first payment has been wired to Sky Energy in China.
We have about another week to adjust the mix of the different sizes and quantities in the extras that are uncommitted, then that windows closes and we have to pick sizes that we believe are in demand.

We are planning on just filling up the extras with the SE 100 Ah and SE 180 Ah cells.
Those sizes have been most popular.

If you need a different size, 40 Ah 60 Ah, we need to know ASAP before our window closes on adjustments that can be made to the order.

Even if you are not ready to pull the trigger yet, try to give us an idea of what you are looking for down the road so that we can plan accordingly with our extras that we order.

Delivery is expected in late June or July.

Dave Kois
Current EV Tech, LLC

Powered By DC
Noobie

Post by Powered By DC » Fri, 15 May 2009, 00:01

Both the Thunder Sky and Sky Energy LiFePO4 battery orders have been finalized.

95% of the Thunder Sky order is committed to buyers.
78% of the Sky Energy order is committed to buyers.

Here is the list of extras that we included in the orders. The estimated arrival date in the port of Seattle is late June or early July. If you are interested in any of these cells let me know ASAP so that I can arrange to have them Shipped diretly to your nearest Port.

Thunder Sky available cells:
101 of the 60 Ah cells
5 of the 100 Ah cells
44 of the 160 Ah cells

Sky Energy available cells:
140 of the 100 Ah cells
48 of the 180 Ah cells

The price available is $1.10 per Ah plus customs, container shipping, etc. Expect about 10% extra for those costs. There is also shipping from our location in the Seattle area to your location unless you are local to us. Delivery is expected in late June or July.

The SE 180 Ah cells are interesting because they have the same physical dimensions as the Thundersky 160 Ah cells but are more energy dense at 102 wh/kg and 159.48wh/l compared to 91.43wh/kg and 144.16 wh/l on the 160ah TS cells

The Sky Energy 100 Ah and the 180 Ah are the most energy dense large format LiFePO4 cells on the market that I am aware of.

If you have any questions, please contact:

Dave Kois