I guess most of you will say 'all of the above' but what is your
     primary reason.

Andrew
Groupie

Why are you into EV's

Post by Andrew » Sun, 21 Dec 2008, 04:43

Mine would be:

A. Interest in cars and electronics
B. The fact that high performance EVs can out accelerate most big block ICE's with little effort
C. Fuel prices destined to rise (although recently I've filled up for under 98 cents per litre)

I do not even remotely consider environmental effects (and don't really care TBH). I believe "global warming" is a scam.

Down the track EVs will save money, but at present the type of EV I've wanted to convert would cost more than staying on petrol.

mjcrow
Groupie

Why are you into EV's

Post by mjcrow » Sun, 21 Dec 2008, 04:44

B. want a vehicle with minimal enviromental impact

I want to be part of the solution not part of the problem Image

mjcrow

woody

Why are you into EV's

Post by woody » Sun, 21 Dec 2008, 06:01

Great Question!
moemoke wrote: I'm curious to know why members are interested in Ev's, is it
A. sick of been ripped off by the fuel barons / government with
     fuel prices
Nah, fuel is cheap, have you tried walking? That's hard work!

For me I agree with your other 4, but take Andrew's 1st:
A. Into cars and electronics
C. like a challenge, building your own EV
D. like being a bit different or a leader of new technology (even    
       though it's not new)
E. hope to save money.

For me E is a justification to proceed, rather than a motivation.

I'm an ex-climate change sceptic. I was talking to a distant work colleague, he was all for freeing up more carbon as carbon is the basis of life as we know it...
I guess most of you will say 'all of the above' but what is your
     primary reason.

[/quote]
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

acmotor

Why are you into EV's

Post by acmotor » Sun, 21 Dec 2008, 06:24

Why ? because GM isn't.

Next question ? Image
iMiEV MY12     105,131km in pure Electric and loving it !

zeva
MSN: sigmunky@hotmail.com

Why are you into EV's

Post by zeva » Sun, 21 Dec 2008, 06:40

Here's my order:

A. sick of been ripped off by the fuel barons / government with
     fuel prices
       though it's not new)
E. hope to save money.

To those not so concerned with the environment, you are of course entitled to your opinion Image skepticism is healthy and we need people to play devil's advocate, though I am legitimately curious to hear what it might take to convince you.. e.g would the complete loss of the arctic ice cap in summer be enough? Maybe evacuation of pacific islands due to rising sea levels?

(Scientifically, the greenhouse effect of higher atmospheric CO2 is fairly well established and rarely in dispute [reference], though I will agree that it is yet to have an irrefutable impact on our lives - and generally humans only respond well to crises in the present, not future possibilities! Especially when they involves sacrifices in the present.)

Sorry if I tend to harp on about this stuff.. I just believe it's too important for people to ignore! (But then.. perhaps I'm not unlike those 7th Day Adventists who so passionately want me to believe in their God!?)
Ian Hooper
--
"Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world." - Margaret Mead
http://www.zeva.com.au

Electrocycle
MSN: dumhed@dumhed.com

Why are you into EV's

Post by Electrocycle » Mon, 22 Dec 2008, 01:57

I built an EV because I've always wanted to, it became affordable, and I had a use for one (short trips to / from the train station).

I think it's a good idea to try to do everything more efficiently than people do now, and replacing an ICE with an EV for short trips saves money as well as pollution - so it can't be a bad thing!
The Engine Whisperer - fixer of things

Mark T
Groupie

Why are you into EV's

Post by Mark T » Mon, 22 Dec 2008, 04:41

I have been a mechanic all my life, battling with hot, oily, dirty, noisy, smelly, disgusting petrol and diesel motors thinking "there has to be a better way" and I recon EVs are it.

I like to do projects that are a bit different from the norm.

I'm more concerned about saving the planet than saving money.

antiscab

Why are you into EV's

Post by antiscab » Mon, 22 Dec 2008, 08:06

all the above, plus a few more:
mobile electricity storage (my 288v pack means any switchmode powered device can be used directly without an inverter....handy in a blackout when u desperately need the internet:p)

or, need 70+kw at 200v (emergency welding anyone?)

needed a decent final year project

wanted a realistic knightrider?

k, thats all that comes to mind.

Matt
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

Johny

Why are you into EV's

Post by Johny » Mon, 22 Dec 2008, 16:35

Because I have a car I love that has been off the road for 3 or 4 years while it waits for me to get time to find/build it a new motor/paint job/interior. Since (like many) I'm into electronics and embedded software it just seems right to bring her back as an EV.

Taffy
Groupie

Why are you into EV's

Post by Taffy » Mon, 29 Dec 2008, 05:22

I like technical challengers
Want to go fast

umm check and check.. done both of those.
Now i just want 1 i put in my garage.

Rattrap
Groupie

Why are you into EV's

Post by Rattrap » Mon, 29 Dec 2008, 15:20

I'm mostly interested in own/building an EV to stick it to the fuel companies & to hope to save money - which is why i haven't started on my EV yet but i'm reading hard & learning every day in the meantime.

Thalass

Why are you into EV's

Post by Thalass » Sun, 04 Jan 2009, 19:31

I want an EV because I'm sick of lining up to pay too much for a fuel that I don't want, only to have to come back two weeks later and do it again.

It's effectively impossible to make your own petrol, but making your own electricity is as easy as moving a magnet near a wire. Child's play! Also I'm into electronics and gadgetry, and I need a large project to keep me busy and an EV is a good challenge.

There's also the environmental thing, too, but that's secondary to improving my transportation independence. :p

Last edited by Striker on Fri, 30 Jan 2009, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.

EV2Go

Why are you into EV's

Post by EV2Go » Sat, 24 Jan 2009, 01:24

Well my primary reason was... E. hope to save money. But that pipe dream went out of the window very quickly. So if saving money is not only out the window, but going to cost a crap load more, I need a new form of motivation.

My very close second reason would have to be pure anarchy. A. sick of been ripped off by the fuel barons / government with fuel prices. But they are only going to wind up sticking it to us through increased electricity prices...

So... the primary reason I would build an EV would now have to be C. like a challenge, building your own EV.

Still finding it hard to justify with poor distance and high costs, but yet I feel almost compelled to MODIFY. Image
Last edited by EV2Go on Fri, 23 Jan 2009, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.

Goombi

Why are you into EV's

Post by Goombi » Sat, 24 Jan 2009, 02:42

The Barina is creating a lot of satisfaction in my family .. My wife likes Barina better then Subaru Forester when she goes out she sees people waving at her and smiling.. I keep telling her its because of her good looks.
----------------------
Now i have to make another one Toyota Hi-Lux ute with 11 kw- 144 volt system-- Mini tray on top-- simple and agriculturaly primitive.. Only way to go.. Up Kev.

gpsnettrack
Groupie

Why are you into EV's

Post by gpsnettrack » Sat, 24 Jan 2009, 04:20

though it's not new)

Just want another porsche to play with, well they did come with Electric Wheels in the first place Image

Alan

Striker
Groupie
MSN: passport2@evilhouse.net

Why are you into EV's

Post by Striker » Sat, 24 Jan 2009, 05:08

This topic has been difficult for me. I wanted to respond right away when it was first posted, but I looked at the options presented int he first post, and thought to myself "Am I really in to EVs?"

The answer is probably no.
Other than a remote control car and a remote control boat, when I was a kid, I've never owned an electric vehicle. Not even a scooter.

I doubt that I will ever build an electric car, it is simply too expensive for me.

So Why am I here?
I've struggled with that question a bit myself, which is why it's taken me so long to respond here.

I believe in the cause, and I want to move EV's from being something that people associate with HAM Radio operators and those with science backgrounds.

I'm here because I want to help with the website, the online services, making things look "everyday", and attempting to change people's perception of EVs in general.

I'm here so that I can tell the public at large that an EV doesn't have to look like a Reva, an NmG, or an Aptera.

I'm here so that I can tell people that an EV can go like White Zombie, or a Tesla.

I want to help people associate EVs with fun sporty goodness. I want to help people associate EVs with clean power. I want to tell them that not all power comes from dirty sources.
I want to educate people about ticking that box that states your electricity company will source your power from green sources.

Would I use an electric car if I owned one?
Sure. I'd drive it everywhere that I could, and I'd brag about having an electric car to anyone who'd spare me four seconds..

--Striker.
"Remember, remember the eleventh of September,
the government treason and plot.
I know of no reason why the government treason
should ever be forgot."

lachlanmac
Groupie

Why are you into EV's

Post by lachlanmac » Sat, 24 Jan 2009, 06:42

I wanted to build an electric car back in the early 1970's. Electricity for motion just seemed to make more sense than petrol powered mortars.

It makes more sense now. I want to do something for the future. I want my son to see that its possible to do something different. Ive impressed my friends. Im having fun doing the basic building. I love the learning and its good for me to be humbled by all the knowledge others have.

I get to fiddle with a machine all weekend and my wife thinks its a good idea.

Its a bit of a trap though. I keep looking at all sorts of moving vehicles and wonder if I could put an electric motor in them.

Lach

EV1day
Noobie

Why are you into EV's

Post by EV1day » Fri, 30 Jan 2009, 20:00

Well I hope some saw my post.

Anyway, back on topic, :D

I am into EVs because its going to be the way of the future, no doubt! I dont own one, but I have an electric forklift.. its the best f$ckin thing ever! Batteries weight 1.5ton!! It can lift 1.5t @ 5.6m high. Charge it once a week and its perfect.. !

Scott

Tonic
Noobie

Why are you into EV's

Post by Tonic » Fri, 06 Mar 2009, 21:25

This one will scare you. I'm in the process of converting a 1998 Hyundai Excel and can claim no success as yet ... however my primary reason is that I want to stop funding Saudi Arabia's Islamic Expansionist regime. Work that one out. Image
To change the world, start by changing yourself.

VectrixADL
Noobie

Why are you into EV's

Post by VectrixADL » Fri, 20 Mar 2009, 05:17

My primary reason:
B. want a vehicle with minimal environmental impact

Climate change? Yes, that's part of it, but Peak Oil is another big part of it. It seems to me that if we keep using oil the way we have been, then at some point it will run out. If we wait until that happens before doing something about it, then there's going to be a panic. But if we get electric vehicles more widely accepted beforehand, then there will be more petrol available for emergency services vehicles, and there will be more incentive to improve the EV technologies now so that EVs can suit the needs of a wider range of people :)

Also, the idea of being energy self-sufficient is very nice - the solar PV on the roof of the house is part way there, except that it's grid-connected...

MAtt.

djsharpe
Groupie

Why are you into EV's

Post by djsharpe » Tue, 24 Mar 2009, 15:03

My EV is a pleasant way of driving. Just leave it in 3rd & away you go. Its primary power source is our 6kW PV array so it is truly solar powered. 100ks driving is easily done on one charge.