Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
nightweave
Noobie
MSN: nightweave@hotmail.com
AIM: nightweave@gmail.com

Pointers for a newbie

Post by nightweave »

Hello WAEVA crew,

So I am new to the EV world and would love to own an EV or convert my Suzuki Vitara. So for a computer geek like myself who wants to learn more do you have suggestions?

Keeping in mind that I would classify myself not mechanically inclined. Also being me and not holding the purse strings in the family, it would be a long term project.

acmotor

Pointers for a newbie

Post by acmotor »

Not everyone has the mechanical/electrical skills, budget and workshop space !!! Image

.... but keep researching, that part is cheap !
Hopefully through groups such as the WAEVA you, me and many others will be able to gain the knowledge and be helped along the way. Maybe kit form or conversion services will be offered as EVs gather more momentum.

Attend WAEVA meetings and workshops. They are great social and tyre kicking events. Image
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !
jpcw
Groupie

Pointers for a newbie

Post by jpcw »

Hi nightweave,
I'm like you, a "computer geek" with "little mechanically inclined" but I'm takling it right now. All you really need is patience, and access to a few people who have the skills your missing. The guy's at WAEVA are a good start and if you have any friends who are "mechanically inclined" then your 90% there. The money is a bit harder but if you take your time and don't rush at the first pats you see (like I did) then you can keep the costs down a bit.
Anyway welcome to the club and I hope you eventually get to do your conversion.
“The best way to predict the future is to invent it,” Alan Kay 1971
nightweave
Noobie
MSN: nightweave@hotmail.com
AIM: nightweave@gmail.com

Pointers for a newbie

Post by nightweave »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for replying.
Mechanically inclined people are hard to come by or maybe I am looking in the wrong places.
So when you guys made your cars what where the bits that caught you up?
I figure I am going to need a plan of attack and a list of parts that will get me there, and knowing me some pointers to make sure I don't do the usual damn should have thought of that.
jpcw
Groupie

Pointers for a newbie

Post by jpcw »

I'm still in the progress but so far the parts that I needed help with are

1) Removing the engine. Other than randomly undoing bolts I didn't have the equipment to lift the engine out. Fortunately a friend had a winch so fixed this for me. If the engine in the ICE is in good condition then you may be able to advertise it for sale and say that they had to remove it.
2) The adapter plate, you need an adapter plate to join the motor to the gearbox, not exactly complicated but someone will probably have to do this for you. My neighbour is a sheet metal worker and organised this.

That's where I'm up to at the moment. The only other part that I have to organise now is the building of a battery box and brackets to hold the electric motor still. Again my neighbour will help with this. Might find a few other things as I go along.

Oh remembered one more. I’ll need to get a heavy duty set of rear springs to cope with the extra batteries in the back. Don’t know where I’m getting that from yet.
“The best way to predict the future is to invent it,” Alan Kay 1971
Andrew
Groupie

Pointers for a newbie

Post by Andrew »

Using a tractor to lift out the old IC-Engine is one way to do it. Good times.