Petition to Ban Advertising for ICE Vehicles

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
Peter WA
Noobie

Petition to Ban Advertising for ICE Vehicles

Post by Peter WA »

I have lodged a petition with the Australian Parliament, it would be great if you all consider signing it.
https://www.aph.gov.au/e-petitions/petition/EN3672

Fossil fuels now are what tobacco was a generation ago: vested interests will fight as long as they can to keep revenues up. Seeing an ad of an ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicle driving through the very pristine landscapes that will be destroyed by climate change is the same as the smiling Marlboro man on the back of his horse. Let's ban advertising for ICE vehicles.

With an advertising ban for ICE vehicles, manufacturers that sell EVs only overseas (like VW) will have to speed up their introduction here, to be able to still advertise their brand. Companies that only bring in token quantities (like Hyundai with the Ioniq 5), will have to allocate more to meet the demand they create by advertising.

And of course by being advertised, EVs will be on the mind of every consumer who wants to buy a new car.

That's the idea. No cost to the taxpayer, no subsidy, no price increases. Just a change in public perception and some added urgency for car makers to bring clean cars to Australia.

Not everyone can buy a clean vehicle now. Some can't afford it yet, others might not have all their requirements met. But everyone should at least consider it when they are in the market to buy a new vehicle.

I know my idea is not the perfect solution. Emissions standards would be a lot better. But seeing how easy it is to make them into scare campaign, Labor will be very careful. This idea doesn't lend itself to the same kind of misinformation campaign. With the federal election just around the corner, now is the time to build momentum and force the two major parties to act.

In case you want to support this even further than signing the petition yourself, I've attached a banner and a flyer format, feel free to share as widely as you like.

Thanks so much for your time!
Attachments
Banner_M.jpg
Banner_M.jpg (219.5 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
Flyer_M.jpg
Flyer_M.jpg (498.24 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
Nagaman

Re: Petition to Ban Advertising for ICE Vehicles

Post by Nagaman »

Lobby groups opposed include the entire commercial media sector and the Australian Automotive Dealers Association (AADA)
All legacy manufacturers Australian representatives and all automotive importers. The realestate industry plus professional sales and marketing bodies. Neither major party wants that many enemies with an election soon.
None of the above include Tesla.
The lone supporter being Tesla.
We are nothing more than useful idiots in the grand scheme of things because we are takers not decision makers.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

Why the real estate industry?
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

The auto retailers compete for space with other industrial SMEs as either those bidding or leasing.
Tesla uses warehouses but the legacy ones are mini Taj Mahals…………… there are the shopfitters, glaziers, flooring, furnishings
Ss much expense in dispensing which Tesla doesn’t have hanging over them.
You can understand what a threat so many workers are facing .
Peter WA
Noobie

Post by Peter WA »

As far as I am concerned legacy car makers can stay in business, with the same buildings and all.

The petition doesn't aim to kill off the legacy car makers, just to force them to bring a lot more of their EVs into Australia.

For the first few years that might be less profitable, that's why they won't do it voluntarily right now, but VW for example expects EVs to be as profitable for them as ICE vehicles by 2025.

Toyota might have a problem though, and deservedly so. They need to catch up, anything that motivates them to speed up their own transition is a bonus.

Nagaman wrote: Thu, 02 Dec 2021, 07:17 The auto retailers compete for space with other industrial SMEs as either those bidding or leasing.
Tesla uses warehouses but the legacy ones are mini Taj Mahals…………… there are the shopfitters, glaziers, flooring, furnishings
Ss much exptense in dispensing which Tesla doesn’t have hanging over them.
You can understand what a threat so many workers are facing .
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

Peter WA wrote: Thu, 02 Dec 2021, 08:30 As far as I am concerned legacy car makers can stay in business, with the same buildings and all.

The petition doesn't aim to kill off the legacy car makers, just to force them to bring a lot more of their EVs into Australia.

For the first few years that might be less profitable, that's why they won't do it voluntarily right now, but VW for example expects EVs to be as profitable for them as ICE vehicles by 2025.

Toyota might have a problem though, and deservedly so. They need to catch up, anything that motivates them to speed up their own transition is a bonus.
I’m not aware of any legacy EVs that are profitable as they start out on this painful transition.
Specifically Hyundai/KIA have stated that they have no intention of quickly ramping up EV sales in order to satisfy demand if it comes at the expense of profitable ICE unit sales which are to fund the transition.
Seems like a precarious balancing act for some years.
Billy2Hats
Noobie

Post by Billy2Hats »

Peter WA wrote: Thu, 02 Dec 2021, 08:30 ~~ The petition doesn't aim to kill off the legacy car makers, just to force them to bring a lot more of their EVs into Australia.
I'm missing the connection between banning ICE vehicle advertising and O/S manufactures being forced to advertise and sell more EVs in our market.
Peter WA
Noobie

Post by Peter WA »

Nagaman wrote: Thu, 02 Dec 2021, 13:14 Seems like a precarious balancing act for some years.
EVs are not yet as profitable as ICE for legacy car markers, that is correct. That's why they don't want to sell EVs here in Australia. Overseas they do, because of emissions caps. Here we won't have emissions caps since our leading parties are ****. This is the next best thing to put pressure on legacy car makers.
Peter WA
Noobie

Post by Peter WA »

Billy2Hats wrote: Sun, 05 Dec 2021, 08:03 I'm missing the connection between banning ICE vehicle advertising and O/S manufactures being forced to advertise and sell more EVs in our market.
Car makers now advertise to get the public to buy their cars instead of cars from competitors. If they can't advertise ICE cars and still want their brand names to be well known, they have no choice but to advertise their EVs.

All it takes is one manufacturer (i.e. MG who sell the most competitively priced EV in the country right now, and never had a supply shortage this year) to advertise an EV, and other makes will want to follow so they don't lose market share.

Don't forget: sales of ICE cars are not banned, but manufacturers need to get people to their showrooms to sell them. Many might try to advertise EVs only to then have sales staff try to flog ICE, and that might work with some customer, but not with others. If I go to a shop that has advertised something and they don't have it in stock I will leave in protest without buying anything.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Apparently the banning of advertising for cigarettes increased profitability, as they saved a heap of money on advertising, but people kept buying. Could result in ICE dropping in price compared to EV.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

Dealerships survive on maintenance revenue and don’t want low maintenance choices replacing ICE in their lifetime.
drlizau

Post by drlizau »

A young man of my acquaintance noted that his decision not to pursue a career as a car mechanic was a good one, as there wouldn't be that much need in the future for mechanics.
Anyway I passed the link around and had some negative feedback and some positive. Some are annoyed about the focus on climate issues. Another person sent me a link to a petition banning gambling ads in return, and that was fair enough.
Personally I think this is early days and it will be a couple of years before we can get anything like this looked at seriously. I'd also suggest a different government. This one hasn't sat long enough to cover its own legislative agenda, never mind that of the populace.
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
Solar powered as much as practical