AEVA Members: your Forum Login (here) is NOT the same as your new AEVA member login.
You do not need to change your existing Forum login.

IPA Report on Road User Charges

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
roddilkes
Groupie

IPA Report on Road User Charges

Post by roddilkes »

Have you read this report?
https://infrastructure.org.au/ruc-for-evs/

This report smacks of a biased and short sighted stop gap measure that specifically targets EVs without considering the larger picture. Lots of sweet talk and then a brick-bat for EV owners.
This report could easily be leveraged by anti-EV Federal politicians to stall the uptake of EVs across Australia.

The main points of my argument:
1) Road user charges should cover ALL vehicles, not just specifically target Electric Vehicle owners. Too much scope for government ideological bias and lack of transparency. Fuel excise could be phased out over time.

2) Road user charges should also include active incentives to reduce emissions from ALL vehicles.
If EV owners pay for the roads, how about fossil fueled vehicle owners do their bit with carbon emissions.

memecode
Groupie

Re: IPA Report on Road User Charges

Post by memecode »

Carbon tax FTW!

PiMan
Groupie

Post by PiMan »

When you said IPA, I was worried it was going to be the Institute of Public Affairs. That would have been extremely biased if it had been them.

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

PiMan wrote:
Mon, 06 Jan 2020, 18:30
When you said IPA, I was worried it was going to be the Institute of Public Affairs. That would have been extremely biased if it had been them.
But completely unsurprising.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Why hasn't someone invented a vehicle that runs on crap? You put a politician to the boot and drive for ages until it was fully depleted, then chuck the suite (who would want to wear it after it had something like that in it) out and replace it with another pollie. There is an excess of them, besides the lack of "how good is it to ride the bushfire hype using an ad for all the great things we have done" they wouldn't be missed and the country would run better without their noise pollution.
Still think we should put forward a submission for transparency of where the fuel excise tax and road tax actually goes. Then drag all the snouts out of the trough so all the collected tax went into road building and there would be so much money floating around they wouldn't need to consider taxing EV road users.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

I think we need to stop building new roads. WA laid more tarmac on the Tonkin highway outside the airport than the landing strip. We're now widening our freeway to 5 lanes in both directions... all this in a city of 1.5 million! We're just lazy.

Fewer new roads will save so much money.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

g4qber

Post by g4qber »

2020 Model 3 SR+ - Delivered Fri 17 Jan ‘20 - k kms 22
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211

Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy »

jonescg wrote:
Tue, 07 Jan 2020, 13:40
I think we need to stop building new roads. WA laid more tarmac on the Tonkin highway outside the airport than the landing strip. We're now widening our freeway to 5 lanes in both directions... all this in a city of 1.5 million! We're just lazy.

Fewer new roads will save so much money.
This is indeed my angst. Where other citizens rejoice on new road (hence, vote), I lament the sheer waste of this endless road building in the city. Same money will be better spent on public transport and cycling.

But hey, that's what citizens vote for... :|