Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
Goombi

changing habits and expectations

Post by Goombi »

OMG...AEVA (Aviation section)
Thalass

Post by Thalass »

One thing is that aircraft rely on being lighter at the end of the flight than at the beginning. If there's a problem right after takeoff they have to dump most of their fuel before landing. Otherwise the structure would have to be 5x stronger (and alot heavier), so the cargo capacity would be less. Electric aircraft would have to take this into account, as their landing weight would be pretty much the same as the takeoff weight, and would be the same for long or short flights.
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

Well there you go.
I always thought aircraft dumped fuel to reduce the fireball !
.. and they jamb passengers in 'till there is not leg room too.
Maybe have to fly with less cattle in the truck.

You could dump passengers or cargo if there is no fuel to dump. I have baggage that looks like it was unloaded before landing ! Image
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

Quote:
Here is another example: Eighty years ago petrol stations were not wide spread but a horse could be fed in any paddock. Horse-drawn technology was wide spread and well understood. What were people saying then about the smelly, unsafe and unreliable petrol cars of the day?

I read something on that once.... Apparently people thought the car was less polluting that the horse because it didn't leave mountains of poo and rivers of urine in the city streets.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
woody

Post by woody »

Peter C in Canberra wrote: I read something on that once.... Apparently people thought the car was less polluting that the horse because it didn't leave mountains of poo and rivers of urine in the city streets.
Thanks, you've made me smile today :-)
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack