Bring on the BERM please

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
LouB
Groupie

Bring on the BERM please

Post by LouB » Sat, 17 Nov 2018, 09:54

I have to mow a couple of acres around our house. I do not care about making a nice lawn, The mowing is to reduce the impact of possible bushfires and to prevent regrowth of shrubs and trees. In restricted spaces I have been using a Victa 82V cordless electric mower; and have been very happy with its performance. To cope with larger areas I have had to use an ICE ride-on mower. I would definitely prefer to be driving a Battery Electric Ride-on Mower (BERM).
There are several models/brands available in US and Europe but, as far as I am aware, only one in Australia. This is the Husqvarna Battery Rider retailing at $6499. The price is a bit steep, but understandable there being no competition. One that I would like to see is the Ryobi RM480E. It looks like it could do the job for me and also complete our transition away from ICE machinery.

If you are interested, you can see it reviewed and at work in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SxtYbCB2TI

If you know of other readily available BERMs I would be very interested.

I know its not a car, but its still a sort of EV right? :)

Cheers
Lou

PiMan
Groupie

Re: Bring on the BERM please

Post by PiMan » Sat, 17 Nov 2018, 15:50

Given that it's not a car, what's the practicality of importing?

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Sat, 17 Nov 2018, 18:23

Oh but making your own would be a hoot!
I know Husqvarna make a very solid electric ride on mower.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Sun, 18 Nov 2018, 00:19

buy a $600 quad Ebike and attach something like this 42inch Mower Deck :-)
If you don't have time to do it right,
When will you have time to do it over

Help those who help themselves first

dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 05:25

Sally at Zeromow has one of the Mean Green electric ride-on mowers - see http://www.zeromow.com.au/equipment/ for details.
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
2013 Nissan Leaf

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 11:43

If you don't have time to do it right,
When will you have time to do it over

Help those who help themselves first

LouB
Groupie

Post by LouB » Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 06:26

Thank you for all the suggestions.
If I was a lot younger, I would consider making up my own electric ride-on but, tempus fugit :( .

I knew of Zeromow's Mean Green Machine but it had to be self-imported at considerable expense. I also queried Cub Cadet to see if they were about to import the electric RZT S 42, but answer was negative.

On a more positive note, Ryobi Australia replied that: "We will be releasing the RRM4896 48V Brushless Ride On Mower Kit at your local Bunnings in December."

No idea of retail price so far, however, going on US posted prices, it should be considerably cheaper than the Husqvarna Battery Rider.

4Springs

Post by 4Springs » Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 06:43

Been waiting for an electric ride-on, keeping our ageing petrol one going for 'just one more season' for the last few years.
Would like a catcher, but otherwise that Ryobi looks good.

brendon_m
Groupie

Post by brendon_m » Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 06:55

4 x 75ah 48v included. For $3999usd ($5500aud). Seems too cheap to have a mower bolted around it

4Springs

Post by 4Springs » Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 07:11

brendon_m wrote:
Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 06:55
4 x 75ah 48v included. For $3999usd ($5500aud). Seems too cheap to have a mower bolted around it
You mean the Ryobi? It is lead-acid. Gives better traction!

brendon_m
Groupie

Post by brendon_m » Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 08:00

Makes more sense. It seems to be actually $3999aud not US as well so even cheaper.

LouB
Groupie

Post by LouB » Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 08:29

It's also available with 100ah batteries (for US $200 more).
Brendon - where did you find the $3999 AUD price?
At that price I would snap it up today!

LouB
Groupie

Post by LouB » Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 08:58

Hi 4Springs, I once believed I needed a catcher for my ride-on. At great expense, I bought the catcher kit for my then Cox Orion ride-on. Cox Australia made good mowers 30+ years ago. My present Cox (Stockman 4000 LiveAxle) is a POS. The Orion was a side discharge mower and the catcher contraption was heavy, awkward, and the feed shute would clog all the time.
These days, I just let the clippings rot in-situ. If I need it to look neater, in close to the house, I just take care to lay the clippings in windrows and rake them up for composting.
So for me, the fact that the Ryobi does not bag the clippings, is no problem.

LouB
Groupie

Post by LouB » Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 10:17

Just a postscript on catcher for Ryobi 480e. There's this video showing that a grass catcher is actually available (in US at least):

Ryobi RM480e Bagger Attachment with Blade Swap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI4SiwKHLqg

brendon_m
Groupie

Post by brendon_m » Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 10:44

I just googled the thing and this page came up
https://www.ryobi.com.au/battery-powered-ride-on-mower/
I thought it was US at first but it's .com.au so I'd say it's aud

antiscab

Post by antiscab » Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 10:48

3 year warranty on lead acid, that's brave
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

brendon_m
Groupie

Post by brendon_m » Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 10:49

Each 48V 75Ah battery included in the kit can power your mower through up to 2 acres of lawn, or 2 hours of runtime. And to make sure you can get the job completely done, this kit comes with four 75Ah batteries

Seems to have an 8 hour run time, if it takes you more than 8 hours to mow your lawn you should buy a tractor.

LouB
Groupie

Post by LouB » Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 11:39

Thank you - Brendon

I'm sure that the page at: https://www.ryobi.com.au/battery-powered-ride-on-mower/ must only have been uploaded within the last 24hours, or so. I think I would have seen it had it been there before. I have registered my interest with Ryobi.com.au and await news of its public release.

4Springs

Post by 4Springs » Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 12:06

LouB wrote:
Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 10:17
Just a postscript on catcher for Ryobi 480e. There's this video showing that a grass catcher is actually available (in US at least):

Ryobi RM480e Bagger Attachment with Blade Swap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI4SiwKHLqg
Thanks for that.
Now I look, it even says that the 'bagger' is available on the Australian Ryobi website.
Doesn't look very convenient to empty, and looks like it would clog up at the first hint of wet grass, but it is available...

Our current lawnmower (Stiga) has the grass exit backwards straight into a large catcher. It is designed so that you can empty it without getting off the mower. I'm mainly interested in the catcher for when the grass is very long, and leaving it there would kill the grass underneath it. Looking at that catcher I think I'd be emptying it far too frequently to be convenient. I'd be better going around and raking it up afterwards.

antiscab

Post by antiscab » Fri, 23 Nov 2018, 07:57

brendon_m wrote:
Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 10:49
Each 48V 75Ah battery included in the kit can power your mower through up to 2 acres of lawn, or 2 hours of runtime. And to make sure you can get the job completely done, this kit comes with four 75Ah batteries

Seems to have an 8 hour run time, if it takes you more than 8 hours to mow your lawn you should buy a tractor.
I took that as marketing speak for there's 4 x 12v 75ah batteries. That would be quite the swap out if they do actually supply 3 spare 48v 75ah batteries
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

LouB
Groupie

Post by LouB » Fri, 30 Nov 2018, 14:26

Bunnings now has the Ryobi RM480e available on special order.

See:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-38-48 ... r_p0089488

I went and ordered one today. I didn't agree to pay for delivery because the shop assistant said it would cost an extra $148 for the 'crane lift truck'. In the past I have always carted my ride-ons in a box trailer. I have ramps suitable for ride-ons and ATVs. I'm hoping that when the mower arrives, the yard staff at Bunnings will fork-lift the framed package onto my trailer. The Ryobi's weight of approx 270kg should not be any problem.

LouB
Groupie

Post by LouB » Tue, 04 Dec 2018, 08:42

For anyone else interested in the Ryobi RM480E ride-on mower:

As the sales people at Bunnings could not tell me whether the AU standard 240V 10A power outlet was adequate to charge the battery, I emailed Ryobi Australia for clarification. The reply was affirmative, in that the charger has a standard 10A plug.

I was not sure before because most of the Info on the Web comes from users in the U.S.A. where 120V 15A is commonly recommended.

Charging at 240V 10A should be actually faster than the U.S. published times.

Hopefully, once I get the mower, within 10 days or so, I'll be able to test for myself and let you know how it performs on our typical scrubby Aussie block.

LouB
Groupie

Post by LouB » Sat, 29 Dec 2018, 08:53

The Ryobi ride-on was delivered on 18 Dec and it's now done just over 4.5 hours mowing. So far, the experience has been mainly positive. It took some getting used to the sudden standing start acceleration, but, the very tight turning circle, almost as good as a Zero-turn mower, made up for it. Having no drive belts, makes removing the mowing deck very fast and easy. It does a good job on lawn but the blades could do with a bit more tip speed for the scrubby areas of our place. The twin blades are described as being 20 inches long but really measure just 19.25". The mower came with a mulching plug that helps re-cut clippings and prevents leaving windrows on lawn.

There has not been any problem with charging the battery from the standard 240V 10A outlet. No obvious heating of wiring, when using an extension power cord either.

In summary, I think it will do the job for us. Now I have to start cleaning and tuning our ICE mowers in preparation for sale; while there is still a market for the outdated technology, that is :lol:

wozz
Noobie

Post by wozz » Wed, 29 May 2019, 08:30

Just received my Ryobi ride on, incredibly hard to get at the moment, though i'm lead to believe it will be easier in Summer (10 were delivered to bunnings stores around Australia, more cannot be ordered via Bunnings special orders as they're a "promotional item" - the 1 I bought was actually destined to be a display model though i was very lucky, Ryobi Australia could not tell me when more would be delivered)

Going to sell my Husqvarna 22hp Ride on, the Ryobi is amazing in comparison, especially with the tighter turning circle. My lawn is quite dry at the moment and i found the petrol mower would whip up a dust storm so i'd end up caked in dirt after mowing the yard - with the Ryobi there was virtually no dust in comparison - though it certainly does a great job of cutting the grass.. Was surprised, it's still relatively loud when blades are running, though obviously near silent without them.

Only thing I dont like so far is around really tight spots where reversing is required - You have to manually stop the blades, put it in reverse, then start the blades before driving again..
If you don't stop the blades, then they won't start again after you go back into drive, you'll have to come to a complete stop, turn them off, then back on before they'll begin again (safety 'feature').. You can use blades in reverse with a reverse button, have not tried this yet, might make the process easier!

Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce » Wed, 29 May 2019, 11:58

Thanks for pointing the Ryobi out Lou - just wrote it up for TheDriven. Hopefully a cut above my usual articles .... ;-)

Cheers
Bryce
AEVA Vic Branch Secretary
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drives: Kona electric, 2001 Berlingo conversion
Selling: 2011 Leaf
Past drive: 2011 Blade Getz
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter