AEVA Members: your Forum Login (here) is NOT the same as your new AEVA member login.
You do not need to change your existing Forum login.

Electric Hot Rods

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
Kieran
Groupie

Electric Hot Rods

Post by Kieran »

G'day

Has anyone heard of an electric hot rod in Australia? Because they have separate chassis and body would that make them easier to covert/build? Ta.

woody

Electric Hot Rods

Post by woody »

There is a Caterham (Lotus 7 replica?) which was kit built as an EV by one of the Sydney members - does that count?

I think front engine - RWD gives you plenty of access.
The older the donor car, the simpler it is as various complexities weren't invented - CANBus, ECU, A/C, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Reversing Lights, Heater/Demister.
It also seems that Hot Rods have a fast track to rego somehow - not sure how that works - maybe just that certain chassis are a known quantity...
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

EV2Go

Electric Hot Rods

Post by EV2Go »

Kieran wrote: G'day

Has anyone heard of an electric hot rod in Australia? Because they have separate chassis and body would that make them easier to covert/build? Ta.
Yes but it's just an idea in my head. For quite some time now I have been slowly gathering information on an early 30's hot rods like a pinched nose for EV use.

I wont say conversion because basically the car would be built from scratch as an EV. There are some great early 2 door body styles (my preferences are towards the 3 window styles).

I can very easily see a Kostov duel 11" sitting quite nicely between the chassis rails with a 9" out back.

Because they are basically a kit the wiring is so much simpler than trying to convert an existing vehicle.