New guy saying hi

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
Mr Camouflage
Groupie

New guy saying hi

Post by Mr Camouflage » Wed, 23 Jul 2008, 10:25

Hi Guys

I've been interested in electric cars for a while now, but never thought I'd take the plunge, so to speak, but with the ever increasing price of petrol I'm thinking now might be the time to go electric.

I've been inspired by this guys 240Z : http://ampeater.wordpress.com I've seen a few other 240Z's converted to electric on the net. I have one beside the garage doing nothing, but I'm not sure if I want to go electric with it.

Other choices I have in mind are a Mini or a VW Kombi van (I love older 60's/70's cars). The Kombi seems like an easier conversion than the Mini, but I really like the idea of an electric mini.

Another thought that crossed my mind was to take a four wheel drive Laser TX3, remove the 1.6 liter 16V DOHC engine and front transmission, and replace that with a smaller lighter 1.3 liter OHC Laser front wheel drive engine and transmission, leaving the rear diff available for direct connection to an electric motor, essentially creating a hybrid.

Of course this would involve some pretty major bodywork modifications to the back of the car to create the space to fit the electric motor. You'd have to enlarge the transmission tunnel at the back where the rear seat is, most likely making the rear 3 person seat into a 2 person seat. Or maybe you might be able to fit the electric motor more forward behind the ICE, where the gearbox would be on a traditional North-South type engine setup. The 4WD gearbox is a pretty big one.

Not sure how efficient pushing around an ICE would be, whether it would be worth the effort to convert it in the first place, but you'd have the ICE as a fall back to increase the range of the vehicle.

I think it could be done, but I don't think I'll be doing it.

I like the idea of an all electric car. So now I just need to decide which one... Z, Mini or Kombi. ( and empty the shed of a few other projects ;) ) Anyone have any opinions on my choices?

I've found some info on Kombi's and Mini's on avalbum and this one on the mini forum http://www.ausmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42150

Though the info on converting Mini's is a bit sparse. The reason I think it would be easier to do a Kombi, is that the Mini's engine and gearbox is all cast together in the engine block, whereas with the Kombi, its a typical engine bolted to a gearbox arrangement. Also the Mini doesn't really leave you much room for batteries, and you'll be etting close to the max weight rating of the car with all the batteries onboard.

Anyway. I have a lot of research to do and a V6 turbo 300ZX to fix and sell before any actual work takes place.

It would be great if people could post some more info on their vehicles in the Members Machines forum so we could see other peoples handy work, and discuss it with them.

Cheers for now,
Mr C.

Last edited by Mr Camouflage on Wed, 23 Jul 2008, 00:28, edited 1 time in total.

Samo
Noobie

New guy saying hi

Post by Samo » Wed, 23 Jul 2008, 13:38

Giday Mr C,

Well my 5c on the old vehicles is that they make good candidates because - no power steering, well no power anything.... So you don't have to worry about electric power vacuum or fluid drives... Nice and easy! Well easier...

I like the Mini, but the Kombi would be way cool.

Samo

Thalass

New guy saying hi

Post by Thalass » Wed, 23 Jul 2008, 17:37

I wanted to do an electric mini, but finding one for a decent price is almost impossible!

It would be nifty.
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.

EV2Go

New guy saying hi

Post by EV2Go » Wed, 23 Jul 2008, 18:14

There may be some kind of physic cosmic force that joins people like us because all the cars you just mention (other than the combi) have either crossed my mind or I have owned.

I have owed the Mini and a 2WD TX3 KC Laser (really wanted the 4WD turbo version), and have always been partial to the 300ZX to the point where I nearly bought one. Strange really because they are all very different cars…

I thought about the 4WD as a potential candidate for an EV conversion doing exactly what you suggested and kind of mid mount it, because I just enjoyed driving the KC so much. The same idea crossed my mind for the mini, but would either need to put a diff in or put the engine in the boot in an east / west config.

Mr Camouflage
Groupie

New guy saying hi

Post by Mr Camouflage » Sun, 27 Jul 2008, 01:50

I used to have a KE Laser TX3 AWD turbo.

I've added VW and mini moke to the list of cars I'm considering.

I'm like the idea of a separate chassis car, so that later down the track I can swap the body with a better looking/more aero dynamic kit car without too much trouble.

Now if they only made a Porsche 550 spyder kit locally :)

Mr Camouflage
Groupie

New guy saying hi

Post by Mr Camouflage » Mon, 28 Jul 2008, 01:23

I'd like to end up with something like this:

electric spyder history

Electric Spider