Importin i-Miev or Leaf from Japan…?

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
martinwinlow
Noobie

Post by martinwinlow » Mon, 03 Feb 2014, 02:55

Hi,

I'm a UK resident and recently bought a 2011 Peugeot-badged i-Miev (Peugeot call it an 'Ion') with 3k4 miles on it for a reasonable £9k5 (AU$17k) - well, I thought it was reasonable!

I have family in Perth, Esperence and Tasmania and was intrigued to see that prices of the i-Miev are somewhat higher in Oz than they are here. That in turn led me to look at what used i's are going for in Japan (where they must be most common) and found they are somewhat cheaper than AU ones...

So, question… has anyone ever imported a used i from Japan, and if so, what was the experience like? I ask as one of my family has expressed an interest…

Regards, Martin Winlow.
Regards,
Martin WInlow

antiscab

Post by antiscab » Mon, 03 Feb 2014, 05:06

to be able to import one you would have to have owned it personally over seas for at least a year, and be able to show you lived with it

all the other ways of doing a grey import require the car not to have been sold officially within Australia before

so perhaps doable with a RHD Tesla S (which has yet to be sold here) but not so much a leaf or iMiev (which has been on sale here for some time)

btw - second hand iMiev's in Australia are around the AUS$20k mark so not much more (specifically the 2010/11 versions)

don't worry - they're cars, they'll depreciate
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

Gabz

Post by Gabz » Mon, 03 Feb 2014, 14:45

I can't see it being worth while a LEAF is $39k new probably able to get a demo for $35k. there are still ex-demo i-mievs for $24k and they are 2012 models. (14 last time i checked carsales.com.au)

add the extra cost of insurance because it's a grey import etc..

Troglodyte
Groupie

Post by Troglodyte » Mon, 03 Feb 2014, 16:15

A couple of months back I looked at bringing in an 18 month old Renault Kangoo ZE from the Old Dart & was told by a few sources including a so-called 'expert' car importing broker, some federal government muppets & Renault Australia that it was totally impossible unless I was prepared to pay some utterly extortionate amount. Note that no Renault ZE vehicle has ever been sold here although there are five Fluence ZEs gathering dust somewhere (no they are NOT for sale ... I've asked countless times) officially something to do with lack of proper compliance however battery ownership is probably another issue. Seems there is some trick to do with low volume compliance that means its only practical to import hundreds of vehicles (like those Nissan Silvias & Skylines so beloved of boy-wonders). All that aside, I noticed a media story recently suggesting the grubs in Canberra are talking about watering down restrictions on private imports. If there is any truth in the report Australians might be able to get their hands on a few interesting vehicles.

tassie_tiger
Groupie

Post by tassie_tiger » Tue, 04 Feb 2014, 13:58

Procedure is outlined here: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicl ... rview.aspx

This might be of interest to i-miev owners: http://www.j-spec.com.au/wiki/Mitsubishi/i/id-529 as it has some interesting colour combinations in the petrol model (scroll down for the images).
Last edited by tassie_tiger on Tue, 04 Feb 2014, 03:15, edited 1 time in total.
My hobby interests are EV's and competitions. aeva.asn.au for ev's and www.lottos.com.au for competitions. If your partner complains about you ev'ing, send 'em to lottos!

Troglodyte
Groupie

Post by Troglodyte » Tue, 04 Feb 2014, 14:24

Been there done that. Written rules are one thing but how they are interpreted is subject to the whim of over-officious bureaucrazy muppets who believe they have a God-given duty to render things impossible. In the case of the Kangoo ZE, if I had been content to live in the UK for the requisite year or whatever it is, everything would have been fine. On another tangent, if Renault Australia was even remotely helpful it would be possible to bring in a new Kangoo ZE. FWIW, there is a deal in the works involving a hundred odd Kangoo ZEs (apparently for a major courier company) on a lease / buy-back arrangement but Renault Australia won't even consider letting anyone else in this country near them. Obviously the 25 y/0 option isn't available. That leaves the 'registered workshop' option, fine if one wants to import a few hundred of the same vehicle but a non-event otherwise.   

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Tue, 04 Feb 2014, 14:30

I have looked at some of the ICE powered I car's . A few have sprung up on ebay and the like. They might be good for mechanical parts - front suspension, shocks, and a few common body parts and panels. That's if you found one being parted out.

I'm not keen on importing the Imiev as a hole but parts like the traction pack I might be interested in in the future.

Kurt

Troglodyte
Groupie

Post by Troglodyte » Tue, 04 Feb 2014, 15:17

I thought of acquiring the necessary bits from a wrecked Kangoo ZE / Citroen Berlingo Electronique or whatever but despite emails to every significant wrecking hotline in Europe I didn't get even one response. Assumption is that precious few EVs get pranged and those that do are quickly snapped up by someone. Whether or not other countries would be any better is another question. When its all said and done, there aren't many vehicles sold in EV version elsewhere and ICE version in Australia, so options are limited to the aforementioned, Mitsubishi (derivatives sold in plenty of countries), Ford Focus (USA only), Renault Megane / Fluence (only Europe & Israel) & if one is EXTREMELY lucky, Mercedes A / B class (did I miss anything ??). I wonder if the officious muppets would consider importing a complete powertrain strictly verboten ??

tassie_tiger
Groupie

Post by tassie_tiger » Tue, 04 Feb 2014, 16:42

"Apparently" there is a 2010 i-miew for $3900: http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... =9&sdmvc=1

My hobby interests are EV's and competitions. aeva.asn.au for ev's and www.lottos.com.au for competitions. If your partner complains about you ev'ing, send 'em to lottos!

Troglodyte
Groupie

Post by Troglodyte » Tue, 04 Feb 2014, 16:47

I think Carsales has the bull by the horns. Judging from the photos associated with that ad, its some weird SUV rather than a MiEV. Specs are definitely MiEV however so its anyones guess. Might give the dealer a call to see whats going on.

Johny

Post by Johny » Tue, 04 Feb 2014, 16:49

Wow that is one screwed up Ad.

tassie_tiger
Groupie

Post by tassie_tiger » Tue, 04 Feb 2014, 16:55

Troglodyte wrote: I think Carsales has the bull by the horns. Judging from the photos associated with that ad, its some weird SUV rather than a MiEV. Specs are definitely MiEV however so its anyones guess. Might give the dealer a call to see whats going on.

I'd say some grey import (petrol).

Troglodyte
Groupie

Post by Troglodyte » Tue, 04 Feb 2014, 16:59

OK, its as the photos suggest, some weird poxy SUV style HOS, the exact details of which I didn't bother to discover, its most definitely **NOT** a MiEV

Johny

Post by Johny » Tue, 04 Feb 2014, 17:00

It's a Mitsubishi RVR. Yeah - that sound like iMiev.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi ... present.29

Troglodyte
Groupie

Post by Troglodyte » Tue, 04 Feb 2014, 17:25

Is there some kind of incentive for asian car designers that encourages / rewards people who churn out the most pig-ugly creation ever ?? SsangYong started the rot with virtually everything they produced, then Nissan grabbed the clown SsangYong sacked and put him / her / it / whatever to work, first on the Leaf and more recently on the Juke. Why FFS can't they use designers with a clue, like for instance the one who did the nice looking 300ZX back in the 1990s. Mazda isn't any better, they were on the right track with Michelotti & the early 1500 / 1800, but its been downhill steadily from then. All of the present crop of Mazda cars are cringeworthy & the BT50 extends the theme to the light commercial market. Meanwhile, not to be outdone, Mitsubishi came up (right concept, like a technicolour yawn) with the current shape Triton, something that not even Noddy & his big eared mate would accept. Before the politically correct fraternity get on their soapboxes, weren't 'Noddy' books banned from schools because someone complained about the 'improper' relationship between Noddy & Big Ears ?? Interestingly some companies at the bottom of the heap (like Hyundai & Kia) manage to produce marginally attractive products ... maybe they can't afford the 'top' designers who specialize in horrendously ugly cars.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Tue, 04 Feb 2014, 17:36

They sure are ugly and the imiev is no exception. There is a stack of them that just never grow on you no matter how good the mechanicals are under the ugly body.

Some shapes just don't date. I guess there is a lot of function, cost and safety that Hamper's the look of a lot of the new designs.

I would have to agree that hyundai are producing some smart looking bodys,. There was a pic in the local paper of there big 6 replacement for the Au market. Made the shape and spec of the dying bread of Au family cars from Ford & Holden look 2nd rate.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 04 Feb 2014, 06:45, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Owen
Groupie

Post by Jeff Owen » Tue, 04 Feb 2014, 20:01

Troglodyte wrote: A couple of months back I looked at bringing in an 18 month old Renault Kangoo ZE from the Old Dart & was told by a few sources including a so-called 'expert' car importing broker, some federal government muppets & Renault Australia that it was totally impossible unless I was prepared to pay some utterly extortionate amount.

If you really want a Kangoo EV, why not buy an Australian petrol Kangoo and convert it using conventional DC components? I believe this would be a lot simpler than trying to retrofit Kangoo ZE components to an Australian Kangoo.
Last edited by Jeff Owen on Tue, 04 Feb 2014, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.

Richo

Post by Richo » Tue, 04 Feb 2014, 20:15

Troglodyte wrote: Is there some kind of incentive for asian car designers that encourages / rewards people who churn out the most pig-ugly creation ever ?? ...Nissan grabbed the clown SsangYong sacked and put him / her / it / whatever to work, first on the Leaf and more recently on the Juke

Image ROFL Image
I'm going to be sniggering for the rest of the day    Image

Not Pig ugly - FISH ugly
Fish ugly leaf

Yeah I reckon some of the designers need to get out their dog box more often...
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!

Troglodyte
Groupie

Post by Troglodyte » Wed, 05 Feb 2014, 01:23

Due to where I choose to live I'm really pushing the range limits to the max. AC / regen are two of the items I figure are essential if an EV is going to be halfway practical.

markrmarkr
Groupie

Post by markrmarkr » Tue, 18 Feb 2014, 19:17

Not every body can drive a handi ... sob Image
MarkR

Driving a 2012 Nissan Leaf, Red - they go faster.
Autumn