Energy White Paper- Issues Paper-EV's

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
evric
Site Admin

Post by evric »

Is there some sort of warranty requirement?
Prius Plug-in Conversion: http://www.evplus.com.au ...Holden Barina EV: http://www.evric.kestar.com.au
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

evric wrote: Is there some sort of warranty requirement?
Pretty sure there is. Also, I am not so cynical to think that Mitsubishi are not also collected usefull real world data about the use of the car and performance of parts at the same time that might help with making EVs better etc. Finally, for a few hundred dollars I am relieved of the need to go around checking connections are tight and clean and watching the end of charge battery balance periodically and so on that I had to do with my home-converted car for which I was the only service guy but I had to be sure it was safe and reliable for the rest of the family. Frankly it is a bit of a relief now I am the only driver of the converted car.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
Johny

Post by Johny »

offgridQLD wrote: That's it I am going to be the Ginny pig who never takes his in for the "service" I should save myself a good $3000 - $5000 over 10 years. And not be without the car for a full day. There's virtually nothing in the service book to be done other than a few small things like change brake fluid every few years and some visual inspections for broken/ worn parts.
Kurt
Take care with the small print though Kurt. It may be that they will not honor warranty because they "would have picked up this problem before it became serious" had the car been regularly serviced by an authorized dealer.
MrD
Groupie

Post by MrD »

Hi all.....I am happy to take my car in once a year to the local dealer and pay my $274......the looks on the faces of the apprentice mechanics is priceless. I also want to maintain a good relationship with my local dealer, should anything serious go wrong, and to encourage them to stock EV's and Plug-in hybrids.....they are both the Mitsubishi and Nissan dealership. Finally, I have established a good relationship with Mitsubishi Australia, who have loaned me cars in Sydney and Tamworth for Industry events, and therefore I want to maintain a geed service history.
Chris
MrD-85-TSLA
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

Yes each to there own do what your comfortable with. We all have different needs, skill sets and level of responsibility we want to have with things in our life.

I'm just a cynical tight ass Image

I feel more at ease putting my own car up on the hoist for 30min every 3 months or so (much more regularly than in the book and to be honest most likely in more detail) The apprentice can ding the door, fiddle with the radio stations and learn from his mistakes on some other car.

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Fri, 14 Feb 2014, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

offgridQLD wrote: Yes each to there own do what your comfortable with. We all have different needs, skill sets and level of responsibility we want to have with things in our life.

it comes with road side assist which by itself is $105 per annum no servicing no road side, which is how I like to appeal to my penny pinching side..
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

I guess,
        I'm always within 100km , 1hr or so of my house so not in the middle of now where if I had a issue that I couldn't work out on the spot (needed towing) I could always call a friend and get them to pick me up and go get my ute and car trailer and tow it back myself.

I don't think towing is free anyhow on the road side assist perhaps for a few km it is. Anything serious beyond a flat (accessory battery or tyre) the roadside assist isn't going to be able to sort it out on the spot.

Kurt
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

offgridQLD wrote: I guess,
        I'm always within 100km , 1hr or so of my house so not in the middle of now where if I had a issue that I couldn't work out on the spot (needed towing) I could always call a friend and get them to pick me up and go get my ute and car trailer and tow it back myself.

I don't think towing is free anyhow on the road side assist perhaps for a few km it is. Anything serious beyond a flat (accessory battery or tyre) the roadside assist isn't going to be able to sort it out on the spot.

Kurt

"If we can’t get your vehicle back on the road, we’ll organise for
it to be towed from the breakdown site to the closest authorised
Mitsubishi Dealer or service facility of the local auto club" Mitsubishi
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
woody

Post by woody »

evric wrote: Is there some sort of warranty requirement?
Your warranty cannot be legally invalidated if your servicing is done by a qualified mechanic but there are other issues..

e.g. a friend of a friend's out of warranty, car was stolen, joyridden, thrashed, but his insurer (they are all bastards) didn't pay for the motor rebuild required as he had been doing his own servicing.
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

""If we can’t get your vehicle back on the road, we’ll organise for
it to be towed from the breakdown site to the closest authorised
Mitsubishi Dealer or service facility of the local auto club" Mitsubishi

So unless you live at the dealership, or local auto club. Then you are still going to have to call a cab or friend to come pick you up and take you home.

With the price of taxi now days you my as well skip the road side assist and just call a tow truck to take you and the car home.

Kurt