Noobie

Power lobby moots petrol kick for electric cars

Post by jamie85063 » Tue, 26 Nov 2013, 01:29

I found this article out today. Link here
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor. ... 2E0023814E

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Tue, 26 Nov 2013, 01:47

Amazingly low sales numbers eh? A hike in the price of unleaded would be nice for the EV movement, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would notice a hike in diesel - that's how most of our stuff gets moved (food, building materials etc).

The Australian electricity market is desperate to sell more power since we're generally using less and less each year.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

mjcrow
Groupie

Post by mjcrow » Tue, 26 Nov 2013, 02:48

From the article - "The cheapest – and currently the only – EV on sale in Australia is Nissan’s Leaf". Obviously the author has never heard of an i-Miev Image

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Tue, 26 Nov 2013, 02:50

jonescg wrote:The Australian electricity market is desperate to sell more power since we're generally using less and less each year.

that is because its dam expensive

my bill has gone up by about 15% with my Kwh's i use has gone down by about 10% every year for the last 5 years
Last edited by Adverse Effects on Mon, 25 Nov 2013, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

Gabz

Post by Gabz » Tue, 26 Nov 2013, 14:30

residential users are using more or at least more peak load, because residential substations is what we are mainly paying more for to be upgraded.

it's a lack of industry is why power usage is down. one aluminum smelter closing is the equivalent of like 100 000 houses of usage.

BigMouse

Post by BigMouse » Wed, 27 Nov 2013, 00:53

mjcrow wrote: From the article - "The cheapest – and currently the only – EV on sale in Australia is Nissan’s Leaf". Obviously the author has never heard of an i-Miev Image

The i-MiEV isn't "on sale" in Australia anymore. They'll import one, but only if you order it (and probably at full sticker price as well).

Tesla will be here soon! Shame the Model S will be expensive enough to warrant the Luxury Car Tax. I think Australia has its incentive/deterrent priorities backwards.

Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra » Fri, 29 Nov 2013, 03:49

Gabz wrote:it's a lack of industry is why power usage is down. one aluminum smelter closing is the equivalent of like 100 000 houses of usage.

That is a part of the decline in electricity demand but not as much as people make out.
A whole lot of factors have contributed. The uptake of rooftop PV looks like less demand. Insulation has made a difference. Energy efficiency standards and labelling has helped. People have been more conscious of where they are consuming energy in the last few years as the message finally gets through. Lighting is more efficient. Sure, a minority of us were buying more efficient globes a decade or more ago but now everyone does.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, demo iMiEV 2013-present, used Holden Volt 2018-present, on the ACT's 100%-renewable-by-2020 electricity.

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Fri, 29 Nov 2013, 04:28

Personally I would love to buy some incandescent bulbs for my house. No CFL bulb has ever lasted longer than 2 years in my house. And then there's the mercury and phosphorescent coatings, the fact that no-one recycles them... I can handle an extra 25 cents in my power bill for the safety and simplicity of a tungsten filament. Plus with insulation my lights can help warm the house up in winter.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra » Fri, 29 Nov 2013, 04:34

We have recycling for CFL in Canberra if you take them to a depot. I live in a set of townhouses and have a little box for people to drop them off near my front door. I also take the ones from our communal path lighting.
I am now replacing with LED globes. Better light at the same efficiency and not expensive any more. It is worth checking the lumen/W rating as some are better than others.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, demo iMiEV 2013-present, used Holden Volt 2018-present, on the ACT's 100%-renewable-by-2020 electricity.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Fri, 29 Nov 2013, 13:35

While residential consumption might be big in our minds. The reality is its only a small part of the big picture.

In Australia roughly residential makes up just under 26% and Industry and commercial make up other 74%.

Just one Aluminum smelter consumes more than 10% of NSW consumption.Large mining projects can consumer more than 50% of a states consumption.Industry really is a mind boggling totally different ball game to domestic consumption.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Fri, 29 Nov 2013, 02:36, edited 1 time in total.

Gabz

Post by Gabz » Fri, 29 Nov 2013, 13:52

jonescg wrote: Personally I would love to buy some incandescent bulbs for my house. No CFL bulb has ever lasted longer than 2 years in my house. And then there's the mercury and phosphorescent coatings, the fact that no-one recycles them... I can handle an extra 25 cents in my power bill for the safety and simplicity of a tungsten filament. Plus with insulation my lights can help warm the house up in winter.

CFL are horrid you need to go LED all the way http://www.ledbenchmark.com/
is a good site for research into what is good.

I have sunny lighting ones to replace some halogens and they are great.

carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 » Fri, 29 Nov 2013, 19:09

I got a couple of CFLs a while back but now I'. Replacing everything with LED as they die.
TToilet room now has a flushmounted 3W downlight and all of the batten fittings are being swapped for Phillips drop in lights now at Woolies for $10-15 each.

chris
Groupie

Post by chris » Thu, 12 Dec 2013, 16:57

Got rid of two kids- power bill is down.

Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra » Sun, 29 Dec 2013, 01:23

The breakdown of the reduction in electricity consumption is teased apart here:
http://theconversation.com/why-is-elect ... alia-20998

Gabz

Post by Gabz » Tue, 14 Jan 2014, 00:28

more support from the electricity companies of sorts

http://www.esaa.com.au/energy_you/elitr ... rison_tool