Hybrid Car Owners NOT Likely To Buy Another Hybrid

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
IVI
Groupie

Post by IVI » Sun, 29 Apr 2012, 18:16

From /. the original article (with reader comments) is here:

+ http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/04/09 ... her-hybrid

"An anonymous reader writes "A new study has found that people who purchased a hybrid car in the past are not likely to buy a hybrid for their next car purchase.

'Only 35% of hybrid vehicle owners chose to purchase a hybrid again when they returned to the market in 2011, according to auto information company R L Polk & Co.

If you factor out the super-loyal Toyota Prius buyers, the repurchase rate drops to under 25%.'

The study also found Florida drivers to be a bit more loyal to the hybrid segment than elsewhere in the country.

'It's hard to know what's causing the low repurchase rate. One reason is that about 17,000 people purchased electric cars last year, and other data shows that many of those were trading in a hybrid vehicle.

Honda has been hounded by high-profile class-action and small claims court lawsuits over fuel economy issues with older models of its Civic hybrid.
:
Hybrid vehicles represent just 2.4% of the overall new vehicle market in the U.S., according to Polk, down from a high of 2.9% in 2008.'""

------ One -possible- reason:

A day or two later: "Just One Out of 16 Hybrids Pays Back In Gas Savings"

+ http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/08/09 ... as-savings

"TheCarChik writes with this snippet from GreenCarReports: "One of the criticisms of hybrid cars has historically been that there's no payback, especially given the cheap gasoline prices in the US. The extra money you spend on a hybrid isn't returned in gas savings, say critics. Well, that may be true, especially when regular gasoline is averaging $2.77 a gallon this week. But as we often point out, most people don't buy hybrids for payback — they buy them to make a statement about wanting to drive green.

Nevertheless, a Canadian study has now looked at the question of hybrid payback in a country whose gasoline is more expensive than ours (roughly $3.70 per gallon this week), with surprising results.

The British Columbia Automobile Association projected the fuel costs of 16 hybrids over five years against their purchase price and financing fees. In a study released in late July, only a single one of the 16 hybrids cost less to buy and run than its gasoline counterpart."

The one car that would save you money, according the study, is the Mercedes S400 Hybrid sedan — and it will only cost you $105,000."

------ An -unlikely- reason:

I -don't- think Hybrid drivers are waiting for this innovation:
"Hungarian Electric Car Splits Into Two Smaller Cars"

+ http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/02/24 ... aller-cars

"Lanxon writes to mention that Antro, a Hungarian car manufacturer, is developing a new electric car that can split into two smaller cars.

Antro plans to have it on the market by 2012.

"The environmentally-conscious company started research back in 2002 and, with backing from various local sponsors, has invested 1.5 million euros in market research and development of a working prototype.

The Antro Solo concept is a three-passenger car, with a hybrid drive and solar cells on its roof that the company says could generate enough electricity for up to 20km a day at city speeds.

Futuristic looking in itself, the grander plan for the car is much more audacious:

Antro intends to allow users to be able to connect two Antro Solos to form a six-passenger Antro Duo.

Or perhaps more interesting still, owners of a Duo could split the car into two smaller Solos should Mum have different weekend plans to Dad.

Or if they divorce.""

-----

For my part, I'll assume another possible reason that Hybrid driver won't buy another Hybrid... is:

+ They're waiting for EV's to hit the market.

LET'S HELP MAKE THAT SO, HERE IN AU!!! :-)

Richo

Post by Richo » Mon, 30 Apr 2012, 21:25

The issue here I believe is that you read slashdot.
Don't read it and the problem goes away Image
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!

IVI
Groupie

Post by IVI » Thu, 03 May 2012, 03:57

Take off the "blinkers" & you see a little more of the world.

Hey, I use an Internet Radio to help me see a bit further afield,
largely to preclude getting "stuck" wearing blinkers, when I need
to be open to others' ideas & research results.

The cited article -isn't- one of my most cherished discoveries, so
I can -almost- get why you can't be more positive or helpful in
your reply.

But it's also possible to add whatever evidence you may have gleaned
- eg, from EV events or enthusiasts, or - straight from the horses'
mouths, ie, those who drive hybrids today... what have you heard 'em
say?

Will they go hybrid next time? Or are they thinking about an EV?

TheMechwarrior
Noobie

Post by TheMechwarrior » Fri, 05 Oct 2012, 20:37

I have a 2006 Prius and this is a long way from my 1977 LXSS Torana Image that I had only 2 cars ago.

With all the travelling I do I can't see myself ever buying another 100%ICE vehicle in the future, Unless it's another Torana Image ,a weekend toy.

A pure EV option is some way off for most Tasmanians as our main shopping hubs are ~100km and 200km apart making some journeys 300km one way. So most families would need a daily commute vehicle, say an EV and an Hybrid for the long haul runs. That's my current plan. Make/purchase an EV motorbike and upgrade my Prius for improved efficiency.

I've been keen on jailbreaking the Prius for a while now and manufacturers are starting to come to the party on power-pack upgrades.

Out of interest the fuel costs to run my car are $2,200 per year, to run my wife's car the same distance costs $6,500 per year. Also carbon emmisions over that distance are 3.3T/year versus 9.7T/y.
Just putting it out there.

Cheers,
Last edited by TheMechwarrior on Fri, 05 Oct 2012, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
Together Each Achieve More

Simon

Post by Simon » Fri, 05 Oct 2012, 21:20

I also have a Prius but what I really wanted at the time was a 100% EV but was too impatient to wait till I had finished my conversion.

I would never want to go back to having a 100% ICE vehicle either! Hybrid cars like the Prius are just so much more pleasant to drive with the smooth, quiet, seamless acceleration.
Now there are finally Plugin Hybrids available (Prius and Volt) and I like the quote found on an EV blog "they are the gateway drug to 100% EV"   Image

IVI
Groupie

Post by IVI » Mon, 08 Oct 2012, 18:21

Funny - isn't it? - that at the 2012 Adelaide Royal Show - folks sent by a local Toyots dealership knew nothing about any 100% electric Prius's.

Not only that, the guy I spoke with there said he doesn't expect to see Toyota selling EV's in AU... ever.

Given the Norwegian study on the environmental impact of EV's, Toyota might well be selective about which countries it markets its [coming] EV's in & to, if only to be seen to be doing the right thing.

('sad if that means AU -won't- be on Toyota's 100% EV market list... eg, because we're still a coal-burning neanderthal-/developing nation...),

Or... AU might change its Black/Brown energy ways by the time Toyota has a 100% EV to market in the world...?

Simon

Post by Simon » Tue, 09 Oct 2012, 04:47

Yes Toyota are not committed to 100% EV's. I think they want to milk the hybrid drivetrain for all it's worth first.

What Toyota EV's are you referring to IVI? The only EV's I know of are the Rav4 EV that is only going to be sold in California in limited numbers and the powertrain is made by Tesla.

bladecar

Post by bladecar » Tue, 09 Oct 2012, 14:23

I haven't seen any reference to 100% battery Toyota cars anywhere (and I haven't looked either).   The more battery ev manufacturers there are, the better, though you need small manufacturers to stop the biggies just putting out similar things to each other.

In the second "Who Killed...." video, Nissan shows how serious it is about the battery future.

In the last couple of weeks, when announcing 2 recharge parking bays in King George Square car park in Brisbane, with 50% parking cost and free charge (though it looked from the photo like it was only V. Fast Charge and not 10 amp or 15, eg, so I won't be taking my car there for that), the Courier Mail accompanied the article with information that business believed that by 2020, there would be 20% pure electric vehicles on the roads (and I think it said 80% by 2050).

If there's any truth in that, then Toyota are simply not telling us what their plans are (if there's any truth in any of this).