Electric Vehicle Definition

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
rjws
Noobie

Post by rjws »

What defines an 'Electric Vehicle' ? Is it merely a mechanism to carry people that is powered by electricity? Or should it also have wheels? Can a vehicle without wheels be registered for the road or be defined as an 'electric vehicle'?

I am debating (especially with the 'Financial Controller' in our household) on whether or not to construct an electrically powered version of Theo Janson's walking 'Beest'(Beach Beast). If you haven't followed this man's amazing creations it is well worth a long look. Search on "Beach Beast" to see more.

The upshot is that he has created a very simple mechanism that 'walks' quite daintily like a deer and is driven by a single rotating crank.

So is a 'walking machine' with an electric motor an 'electric vehicle'? What are the odds on getting one passed as per Australian ADR's for road registration?

Food for thought?
Regards,
RJWS
Simon

Post by Simon »

Sure no wheels are needed to be classified as an EV.
Your "financial contoller" must be very understanding to even let you ponder such a project! Image
Have you seen this thing? Solar Chariot
Richo

Post by Richo »

StrandBeest
CGI version
Mesmerising.
Horribly inefficient.
Bad stopping.
I'd like to see one that bounds along with a bit of a bounce.
But cool...

So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!
rjws
Noobie

Post by rjws »

I agree with the bounding along, Richo. I've been looking at how you might change the gait but it wouldn't be that easy with Theo's mechanism, however, Klann's mechanism (Spider) might be simpler to modify for that method of locomotion.
Regards....
RJWS