EV ID

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
Trev
Noobie

EV ID

Post by Trev » Wed, 11 May 2011, 02:12

Recently we were involved in Qld Fire & Rescue State Road Crash Challenge. Our task was to raise awareness of Converted Electric Vehicles and potential safety hazards posed to Rescue people. Sorry no pictures on the day. It was excellent to be so close with the professionals cutting up vehicles, that had been simulated crashed at 100km/hr, to get out the dummies. Most certainly an eye opener to the safety aspects designed into the vehicles. It was a great day.

It was raised on the day that there is no National Standard for identifying Converted Electric Vehicles. One fellow said to me that in a crash scene he would not know my Hilux was Electric Drive. He said it just looked like his Hilux at home in the garage. I pointed out the word Electric on the side. He said that he took that to mean that I was an electrician running an electrician business, and just advertising on the side.

Here are some pictures with the lableing.

It was suggested that there should be a National Standard, perhaps a green diamond with CEV on it. Vehicles with LPG used to have a red diamond with LPG on it.

Please write your opinions.
Should there be a National Standard?
If so, what should that National Standard look like?

Squiggles

EV ID

Post by Squiggles » Wed, 11 May 2011, 02:47

Maybe EVs should have special green number plates with "eclectic vehicle" as the moto....Ok Electric Vehicle might be better.

CometBoy
Groupie

EV ID

Post by CometBoy » Wed, 11 May 2011, 03:21

A symbol as shown below is currently being look at by the relevant authorities in SA and also nationally (or so I am told?) should be finalized soon apparently.

The label will be mounted on your current license plate similar to the current “LPG” diamond on LPG equipped vehicles.

Some EV drivers in SA are currently using these....

Hope this helps.