Plug-in conversion kit for Prius - NilCO2 kit?

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
tjgeel
Noobie

Post by tjgeel »

Hi, I'm a newby to this forum so please be kind..... Image
I appreciate that this is not a pure EV, but has anyone had any experience with the NilCO2 conversion kit for the Prius? Apparently they have installation contractors available across Aust, or DIY is possible. Kits are currently around $5k for a 4kW diy kit.
http://nilco2.com.au/
Appears to be very similar to the 'Enginer' kits available in the US
http://enginer.us/
Any experiences??
Thanks
tim j
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

The following is the part that is of most interest to EV'ers:

======================

New HED LifeMnPO4 cells from NilCO2 have raised the power/density bar by a massive 25% over other industry leaders. As a result EV and PHV developers can now add 25% more range with no weight gain to their vehicle designs.

As an example, NilCO2 now offers PHV conversion kits of up to 12kW capacity, and in a Prius, it's still mainly stowed under the luggage bay floor.

EV developers, educators and component retailers interested in switching to leading Lithium technology note: NilCO2 now stocks "HED" 200Ah and 100Ah cells.

Our range will soon be expanded to include 80Ah, 60Ah and 40Ah cells, and complete Developer's packs will include optimised chargers with modular battery management systems. See our Downloads page for product specifications and pricing.

===================

I have to rush off now, no time to digest.
Last edited by coulomb on Mon, 24 Jan 2011, 02:41, edited 1 time in total.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

tjgeel wrote: Hi, I'm a newby to this forum.....
Welcome! (Sorry for not welcoming you earlier.)
I appreciate that this is not a pure EV,
Hybrids have been discussed before on this forum; no problem.
Apparently they have installation contractors available across Aust,
Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, and Coffs Harbour at present, with more to come (per the FAQ "General car service and after sales service to the PHV pack?").
or DIY is possible.
Good. I may be interested myself.
Kits are currently around $5k for a 4kW diy kit.
Interesting. The equivalent Enginer kit is around US$3500.

I assume that this is for standard LiFePO4 cells. Do you happen to know roughly how much more (if any) it costs to have the LiFeMnPO4 cells? They appear to be GBS cells, as imported to the USA by Elite Power Solutions (see for example http://elitepowersolutions.com/docs/GBS_batteries.pdf). Jack Rickard did some torture tests of four 200 Ah GBS cells on 10th Sep, 2010 (see http://media2.evtv.me/archives.html and scroll down to see this movie).

So this company seems to be an agent for GBS cells, which would appear to have some advantages over TS/Winston and SE/CALB cells. It would be nice to know what their prices are like.
Appears to be very similar to the 'Enginer' kits available in the US
Yes, it looks like NilCO2 imports the metalwork, converter and probably charger, but uses his own BMS and maybe cells as well. They provide custom stickers, and hopefully some local support.
Any experiences??
No, thanks for bringing it to our attention. Someone probably knows someone who's had one of these installed.
tjgeel
Noobie

Post by tjgeel »

Here's the PHV spec sheet that I recently received from NilCO2. I'll also try to add the pricelist...
Chrs
tjgeel
Noobie

Post by tjgeel »

FYI, I finally installed a NilCO2 K40 kit into my Prius. It was an easy job, even for a novice like myself, but took a total of 6-7 hours to complete. Fuel use in city commuting has not dropped significantly yet (still around 5.8 l/100k), but that's mainly due to my wife not alternating her driving technique (it's her car). Note that the Prius is labelled as having fuel consumption of 4.4 l/100km, but a realistic city commuting figure for a standard Prius is 6 l/100km.

The kit itself is nicely packaged, with stainless box, LiFe batteries and BMS, all labelled as Enginer items. The NilCo2 installation manual is OK but still work in progress, but the Enginer install CD was very useful viewing prior to install.

Rgd
lithbattboss
Groupie

Post by lithbattboss »

We also have a Prius PHEV conversion kit. Our kit provides up to 100km range in battery mode with our 9kWh pack. We have supplied dozens and dozens of these kits to customers in the USA and I might be bringing a few to Oz soon since lately I am receiving some enquiries from councils.

Last edited by lithbattboss on Sun, 20 Mar 2011, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
Where power matters.
XPS Power cells 25C discharge for high performance applicatiopns.
www.lifetechlithium.com
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

tjgeel wrote: FYI, I finally installed a NilCO2 K40 kit into my Prius.
Good to hear it!
Fuel use in city commuting has not dropped significantly yet (still around 5.8 l/100k), but that's mainly due to my wife not alternating her driving technique (it's her car).

You mean she forgets to plug it in? Or just has a lead foot?

I would think that even with a lead foot (and plugging it in), you would see a significant difference right away. Are you looking at the long term average? It would be a good idea to reset that average after a major change like installing the PHEV kit. I'd be interested to hear what your consumption goes to.

Our Prius is also mainly driven by my wife, and the long term average (on the "consumption" screen) is 5.3 l/100 km. When I'm careful, I manage under 5 l/100 km, but she also uses the air conditioning a lot more than me, and the car is usually full of equipment.

Are you sure about the 4.4 l/100 km figure? That seems unrealistic.
tjgeel
Noobie

Post by tjgeel »

Lead foot is the issue and she has not learnt yet how to feather the accelerator once at speed to get the blended EV to kick in.

I have been resetting the consumption each week, depending on who's driving it. I can get lower consumption 'cos I regularly pressing the 'EV' mode button whilst under 45 km/hr. Pity the ECU can't be easily modofied to push that speed up to 55 kmh.
tjgeel
Noobie

Post by tjgeel »

By the way, does anyone have any recommendations for a bumper mounted power inlet? I'm currently feeding the extension cord into the boot as I'm not keen on installing a crappy looking Clipsal unit on the rear bumper. I have seen the Marinco Guest inlets in the US (as per Hymotion kits), but not in Aust. Suggestions appreciated as I can't find much on this and other forums.
munter
Noobie

Post by munter »

Tj,
It looks like there is plenty of scope to improve your economy just based on behavioral change. We drive a standard 2005 model and our worst ever tank would be 4.9 or 5 l/100 km. Mostly we get somewhere between 4.5 and 4.8l/100km. That is suburban Sydney driving. Perhaps check your tire pressure and bump it up a little?

I'm very interested to hear how your phev performs on the road as I've been contemplating one for our car too. Cheers munter
tjgeel
Noobie

Post by tjgeel »

Hi munter,
We've had the kit in for a little while now and average consumption for suburban driving in Geelong is around 4.1-4.3 l/100km. We'd only get about 25km of 'blended' EV/ICE driving from the 4kwh unit, so we usually charge it every 2nd night or more. Based on my plug-in power meter we use about 2.8 kwh from when the kit is empty to fully charged, so the BMS is fairly conservative to look after the batteries.

Tyre pressure is around 38PSI, but the key ofcourse is driving technique ie as my wife describes 'you need to drive like a nanny' to get into the low 4s (l/100km). I'm sceptical that you'd be able to get close to 100MPG (2.8 l/100km) as claimed. Without the kit we'd probably average in the low to mid 5s (l/100km).

I quite enjoy the challenge of trying to get the vehicle to operate in EV mode by feathering the accelerator once reaching the required speed, and seeing the instant fuel consumption guage drop to 0.0 l/100km!! Payback for the kit will never be achieved, but we never expected this to be the case, but it certainly has made us think more about our driving technique.
Rgds
gannet
Noobie

Post by gannet »

I'm tempted to get one of these kits too....
but as it would be mainly used by the teen queen, sensible drving might not happen.

I'm wondering if anyone will get the kits ( with ECU mods?) that allow speeds up to 110kmh on electric only.

I posted something on that down here:

viewtopic.php?t=2607
GT Jennifer
Noobie

Post by GT Jennifer »

I have kit fitted in Canberra. I'm also the installation tech for NILCO2,so if anyone is interested in further details, let me know.
I'm selling my current K40 kit soon as I am upgrading. Contact me also if interested.

I'm getting 3.8L/100 at 80kph daily with 50 km round trip supplemented EV power.

Jen
evric
Site Admin

Post by evric »

Just a quick note about our Gen 2 Prius prior to installing a Plug-In Supply "10KW" kit.
Today we returned from a round trip of 700Km and our average was 4.6L/11km. This was mainly at 100 - 110km/hr.
Air-conditioner usage was for about 50% of this trip.
Around town (Adelaide metro area) I can average around 4.4L/100km.
I think the original "Spec" for the Gen 2 was 3.9L/100km. (Probably on a track at a constant 50km/hr.)
I am hoping to average 2.2L/100km with the kit installed.
Last edited by evric on Mon, 02 Dec 2013, 02:05, edited 1 time in total.
Prius Plug-in Conversion: http://www.evplus.com.au ...Holden Barina EV: http://www.evric.kestar.com.au
evric
Site Admin

Post by evric »

tjgeel wrote: By the way, does anyone have any recommendations for a bumper mounted power inlet? I'm currently feeding the extension cord into the boot as I'm not keen on installing a crappy looking Clipsal unit on the rear bumper. I have seen the Marinco Guest inlets in the US (as per Hymotion kits), but not in Aust. Suggestions appreciated as I can't find much on this and other forums.

I have purchased and am going to use:
1 x POWERUN: Power Inlets, 15amp, Weatherproof lid, WHITE (PR-IL/15)

Link to unit...

caravansplus.com.au
accounts@caravansplus.com.au
PH: (02) 6284 2182
21 Endurance Ave
Queanbeyan NSW 2620

This unit is better than the Clipsal unit because with the lid closed, there are no screws showing.

Cost is just over $30.00 including postage.

Eric (www.evplus.com.au)
Last edited by evric on Mon, 02 Dec 2013, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
Prius Plug-in Conversion: http://www.evplus.com.au ...Holden Barina EV: http://www.evric.kestar.com.au