A hard nut to crack?

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
Winnovation
Noobie

A hard nut to crack?

Post by Winnovation » Fri, 12 Nov 2010, 05:31

Hallo!

As you are a strong community of electric vehicle users, I do not want to let the chance pass by, to ask you for your help! We are looking for ideas and creative minds! Within an international innovation project we are looking for creative talents, with interest to actively participate in designing the future of electric mobility.

1. As soon as electric vehicles cannot be charged at home (City apartment with no private parking & loading possibility) or public charging stations are occupied, users for electric vehicle wish for more comfortable solutions. → Can you think of any new solution, how electric vehicles (cars and bikes) could be charged without spending a lot of time, and in a simple, sage and location-independent way

2. As soon as electric vehicle drivers want to travel distances longer than 150 km, need (fire brigade, ambulance) or want more flexibility (vacation trip by car), electric vehicle users want better solutions. → Can you think of any new solutions, how users of electric vehicles become more independent from the cruising range of a battery and from frequently recharging, and cover greater distances if needed?

3. Since expensive battery technologies result in high purchasing costs and cause insecurity about life duration, wear and amortization time, people are deterred from investing in electric vehicles. → Can you think of any new solution to decrease the financial risks for users when purchasing and operating an electric vehicle?

We are looking for users with innovative solutions for these 3 areas. The goal is to make e-mobility more user-friendly than it has been so far. Users should be able to bring in line their individual mobility needs with protecting the environment in a simple and convenient way.

If you have ideas how one or more of the 3 problem areas listed above could be solved or improved we would like to invite you to submit your ideas to ideas4electromobility(at)winnovation.at
until 30th of November 2010. 

Thank you very much in advance!
Best regards from Vienna,
Antoinette Rhomberg
www.winnovation.at

ps: Personal experience with electric vehicles might be useful but is not necessary. Innovative ideas from different industries are welcome, too! The purpose of this initiative is that users and providers jointly develop new and better solutions. In addition we raffle an iPad and three hampers filled with Austrian food specialties- as a little thank-you gift - among all participants.

Richo

A hard nut to crack?

Post by Richo » Fri, 12 Nov 2010, 06:30

Hi Antoinette welcome to the AEVA.
Now you do realise that the AEVA doesn't stand for AUSTRIAN Electric Vehicle Assciation? Image

Sorry had to say it Image

So I could win an iPhad and some food for solving Another countries eV problems!
Super I'm there Image
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

EV2Go

A hard nut to crack?

Post by EV2Go » Fri, 12 Nov 2010, 06:52

Winnovation wrote: Hallo!

As you are a strong community of electric vehicle users, I do not want to let the chance pass by, to ask you for your help! We are looking for ideas and creative minds! Within an international innovation project we are looking for creative talents, with interest to actively participate in designing the future of electric mobility.

1. As soon as electric vehicles cannot be charged at home (City apartment with no private parking & loading possibility) or public charging stations are occupied, users for electric vehicle wish for more comfortable solutions. → Can you think of any new solution, how electric vehicles (cars and bikes) could be charged without spending a lot of time, and in a simple, sage and location-independent way

2. As soon as electric vehicle drivers want to travel distances longer than 150 km, need (fire brigade, ambulance) or want more flexibility (vacation trip by car), electric vehicle users want better solutions. → Can you think of any new solutions, how users of electric vehicles become more independent from the cruising range of a battery and from frequently recharging, and cover greater distances if needed?

3. Since expensive battery technologies result in high purchasing costs and cause insecurity about life duration, wear and amortization time, people are deterred from investing in electric vehicles. → Can you think of any new solution to decrease the financial risks for users when purchasing and operating an electric vehicle?

We are looking for users with innovative solutions for these 3 areas. The goal is to make e-mobility more user-friendly than it has been so far. Users should be able to bring in line their individual mobility needs with protecting the environment in a simple and convenient way.

If you have ideas how one or more of the 3 problem areas listed above could be solved or improved we would like to invite you to submit your ideas to ideas4electromobility(at)winnovation.at
until 30th of November 2010. 

Thank you very much in advance!
Best regards from Vienna,
Antoinette Rhomberg
www.winnovation.at

ps: Personal experience with electric vehicles might be useful but is not necessary. Innovative ideas from different industries are welcome, too! The purpose of this initiative is that users and providers jointly develop new and better solutions. In addition we raffle an iPad and three hampers filled with Austrian food specialties- as a little thank-you gift - among all participants.

1) Hot swapable batteries, but that idea is far from inivative.
2) A big genset in a trailer, but traveling beyond the battery capacity presents new problems. How long can the motor run at decent highway speeds / currents?
Cars have radiators and thermos to control heat soak, motors are often air cooled and subject to thermal creep over time.
3) I'm still trying to convince myself that buying a battery pack is a good idea let alone convince someone else Image For me it comes down to I can't build an EV without it, so I need no convincing beyond that irrifutable fact.

T1 Terry

A hard nut to crack?

Post by T1 Terry » Fri, 12 Nov 2010, 19:15

(1A)Every parking meter has a recharge point that can be activated from the meter to add a debit to the cost of parking for the required period.
(1B)Every new development must have parking spaces with a power point near by to gain development approval
(2) Build an LNG or even better liquid hydrogen distribution network and LNG fuel cells like the Blu Gen unit but smaller that can be fitted to the vehicle to enable on a continuous recharge for the battery pack or pour more money into the development of the diesel fuel cell to get it up to useable levels, the present 250w is a joke.
(3) Establish a battery pack leasing system with repayments averaged out over the battery pack design life allowing for the pack residual value and then the pack is returned to the lease point and either another pack and lease plan is taken out or the financial deal is finalised.

Will it ever happen, will there be second coming of the great spaghetti monster? Which is more likely to happen? Think I'll practice my spaghetti twirling techniques :lol: now, what to do with a new ifad?

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

Richo

A hard nut to crack?

Post by Richo » Fri, 12 Nov 2010, 20:29

No you need to go to thier website for any credit.
Now other people can get credit for your comments.

I think they should sell the electric BMW's to Australia then they won't have so many over there that they can't charge Image
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

T1 Terry

A hard nut to crack?

Post by T1 Terry » Sat, 13 Nov 2010, 00:03

Image Does that mean someone else will get my ifad or picinic basket (insert Yogi bear voice here), the scoundrels. Do you think the would have put little stickers on all the ideas they implemented, "This was suggested by T1 Terry on AVEA forum" Bugga, my big chance for a claim to fame on the other side of the world and I've blown it Image

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

EV2Go

A hard nut to crack?

Post by EV2Go » Sat, 13 Nov 2010, 00:37

Richo wrote: No you need to go to thier website for any credit.
Now other people can get credit for your comments.

I think they should sell the electric BMW's to Australia then they won't have so many over there that they can't charge Image
I could hardly be bothered posting here let alone go to a whole new website Image I figure if they want a great idea let them come up with there own, rather than pay someone a pitence for a fanstastic idea that they make a killing off.

Richo

A hard nut to crack?

Post by Richo » Sat, 13 Nov 2010, 04:12

I had a look at thier website.
But when I thought how they were going to get MY Austrian food basket through customs I came to the conclusion I would be doing for nothing.

Richo

A hard nut to crack?

Post by Richo » Sat, 13 Nov 2010, 04:15

And I'm sure my iPhad would get lost in customs while they are eating imported food.
Then I get a bill for the "disposal" of my food. Image

acmotor

A hard nut to crack?

Post by acmotor » Sat, 13 Nov 2010, 16:57

Winnovation wrote:

1. good point. Though if you live in a city apartment then you shouldn't have a vehicle or need one. In Australia at least you would be in the serious minority if you fitted into this category so I don't really see that it is a significant factor in recharge infrastructure design. That said, try 3sqm of 90% (Image!) efficient PVs on the vehicle surfaces while it is parked in the street.
I do wonder why such minority charging concerns seem to be offered as reasons to delay the adoption of EVs.

2. you don't need to worry about that point. Advances in battery technology will fill the need. Honestly, chill out !

3. well.... it is not the cost of the battery pack that limits public takeup of mass produced EVs. (it is a major factor in the low cost expectaions of the conversion market) True, the overall purchase price of the EV is a factor but the offerings so far do not reflect the actual production cost of the EVs (despite the winging of some manufacturers that they cost the earth !).
Finincial risk ??? People purchase new vehicles from AUD$12,000 to $1M now. Hey, people buy lexxxus for $100k+. Once again, chill out. It is only the bottom end purchaser who really hesitates. Consider Tesla !
I doubt if an iMiEV purchaser considers the life of the battery pack or its relative cost in the vehicle. A (little)prius pack comes with 8yr warranty. What more do you want ?

'personal experience with electric vehicles'. Essential at this stage of the technology but will very soon become less important as the commercial offerings of EVs are so familiar that I've already heard folk ask 'is this electric ?' a bit like is this front wheel drive.

iMiEV MY12     105,131km in pure Electric and loving it !