EV Conversion Sticker

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
polo-ev
Groupie

EV Conversion Sticker

Post by polo-ev » Sat, 31 Jul 2010, 15:28

Just read that Ontario require any EV conversions to have one of these stickers on the front & back windscreens to alert emergency services that the vehicle is an electric conversion.

Although we don't have very many EVs yet, the numbers are slowly growing.
Seems like a pretty sensible idea.

antiscab

EV Conversion Sticker

Post by antiscab » Sun, 01 Aug 2010, 10:02

indeed it is,

the AEVA has been pushing in this direction for a while now.
our one was to be put on the number plate, in the same place as the gas ones are located for LPG cars.

the idea is still going back and forth though.

Matt
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

acmotor

EV Conversion Sticker

Post by acmotor » Sun, 01 Aug 2010, 15:39

Like this....

The smaller text probably wouldn't work in this location so a windscreen sticker as well with the electric conversion statement would be good EV promotion as well !
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !

procrastination inc
Groupie

EV Conversion Sticker

Post by procrastination inc » Sun, 01 Aug 2010, 20:16

I was surprised when I registered the Vectrix that there was no requirement to identify it as electric drive. This is just a standard industrial sticker chopped down to fit

Tim
Groupie

EV Conversion Sticker

Post by Tim » Wed, 04 Aug 2010, 01:48

Actually Victoria is the only State that has in its legislation a requirement to have a special 'Hybrid' label on the numberplate of a hybrid vehicle. Not at all logical, as I pointed out at the time, and does not fit well with other similar labels.
Don't listen to what I'm saying... just understand what I mean.

procrastination inc
Groupie

EV Conversion Sticker

Post by procrastination inc » Wed, 04 Aug 2010, 01:59

useful info for emergency services though.

Both fuel and electricity to worry about

Tim
Groupie

EV Conversion Sticker

Post by Tim » Wed, 04 Aug 2010, 06:03

Which is how it was justified at the time.
However, the only thing different from the majority of vehicles on the road today is the presence of a higher voltage than normally encountered in a vehicle.
Logic would dictate that it was an electrical/high voltage label that should be displayed, as shown in the posts above.

This would be in keeping with the theme of the LPG/CNG stickers. An LPG sticker means "Hey, as well as the normal hazards, this vehicle has an LPG system on board". For HV, it should work the same. And just as a petrol and LPG equipped vehicle, or an LPG only vehicle wears an LPG sticker... a petrol and electric, or electric only vehicle should wear the same HV label.

Choosing 'hybrid' was not the result of much thought.

Also, as Victoria did it alone rather than raising it as a National initiative... it is not really of great value. I believe that Nationally, most States are in favor of displaying the international HV symbol.

Whatever is eventually used, it needs to be consistent across Australia... which means agreed by all jurisdictions at a National level.
Don't listen to what I'm saying... just understand what I mean.

acmotor

EV Conversion Sticker

Post by acmotor » Thu, 05 Aug 2010, 03:21

True, but do call it the HAZV (hazardous voltage) label as HV (high voltage) is not the correct naming under existing electrical standards.
The new revision of NCOP14 will acknowledge this naming.
HAZV is also going to be the EV terminology.

It was good that Victoria showed some EV support.

The National Code of Practice is the one we should work with.

I'd still venture to say that an EV will be safer than 70litres of ULP or LPG anyday since a properly designed EV has its electrical power source isolated/disconnected/broken into banks etc. by ignition switch off or inertia/inversion switch operation.
In 2 million priuses, how many electrocutions have occured (real ones) ? and how many pertol fires ?
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !

procrastination inc
Groupie

EV Conversion Sticker

Post by procrastination inc » Fri, 06 Aug 2010, 01:32

I think Hybrid tags are useful

Just tagging them with an electrical hazard sign might lead fireys to assume it is an EV and overlook the fuel hazard

Peter C in Canberra

EV Conversion Sticker

Post by Peter C in Canberra » Mon, 16 Aug 2010, 20:18

polo-ev wrote: Just read that Ontario require any EV conversions to have one of these stickers on the front & back windscreens to alert emergency services that the vehicle is an electric conversion.

Although we don't have very many EVs yet, the numbers are slowly growing.
Seems like a pretty sensible idea.

Agreed. Is there a shop in Ontario from which we could mail order some of these stickers? Someone from each branch could buy a suitable number to pass around. In the absence of a required standard this one seems as good as any. I'd happily stick one on each of front and rear windows. BTW I do have the symbol, small without the text, on my licence plates like the other photos in this thread.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-present, on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity. Kona on order.

antiscab

EV Conversion Sticker

Post by antiscab » Tue, 17 Aug 2010, 00:12

EVWorks used to give out free stickers with every order.
I wonder if they have any left.....

Matt
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

Jeff Owen
Groupie

EV Conversion Sticker

Post by Jeff Owen » Tue, 17 Aug 2010, 01:03

When I first converted my car, I was faced with the decision whether to put some form of warning on it. Fortunately, as a result of my liking for well done toast, we had a fire alarm go off at work. As a consequence of it being a CSIRO micro (as in nasty bugs not small) site, the fire brigade response was swift and a bit over the top with three large fire trucks and a dozen firefighters turning up. Two of the firefighters went off to deal with the alarm while the rest stood around eating vegemite toast with me. I pointed to my car parked nearby and asked them what they would do if they arrived at a crash scene and found me injured and bleeding in the car with an electrical hazard warning sticker. All of them said they would stand back and watch me die as they had no idea what they were dealing with. On another occasion I put the same question to a fire crew and received the same response.

Needless to say my car has nothing on it to indicate that it is an EV.