EV Driving Styles

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
Bas
Groupie

EV Driving Styles

Post by Bas »

Having finally sorted my car (for the moment) I have been trying various things re. driving "style" and what’s good for fuel consumption, the motor, the controller and the batteries. So a few question for comment:
1. Does it help to vary (pump) the throttle while driving? This has been suggested to me and it may be reducing battery consumption per kilometre on certain trips.
2. What is the effect of putting the car into neutral gear down hills? There is little resistance from the motor and spinning may help cool the motor but is there an effect on the controller? Is gearbox friction an issue?
3. Regards charging. I assume that the batteries should be charged whenever possible even after a short trip say 10-20Ks. Is this best practice?
4. If you have a gearbox should revs be keep generally low or high? The difference seems marginal in terms of acceleration in some cases. Are motor and controller temperatures a factor?

Other comments about driving style and other related practice would be interesting.

roddilkes
Groupie

EV Driving Styles

Post by roddilkes »

Congrats Barry.
It is good to see another EV on the road.

1) Pulse and go is the go. ie get the vehicle up to speed then coast as much as possible.
2) Next to nothing.
3) Charge LFP batteries at every opportunity. They don't have a memory but the results of over-discharge can be very bad indeed so it is best to keep them topped up.
4) It is best with gears to keep the motor on its "sweet spot" as much as possible. With ADC and Warp motors this is around 3000 rpm.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by roddilkes on Thu, 22 Jul 2010, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.

Simon

EV Driving Styles

Post by Simon »

1. After accelerating upto speed I back right off the accelerator and gently reapply power to just maintain my speed. Or just get off the accelerator and coast to the next light, stop sign etc.

2. Very little difference. I think its better to just coast in gear to keep the motor cool. A couple of times I have been coasting in Neutral and forgot to put it back in gear.Image
When coasting in gear you gotta be careful not to over rev the motor on big hills.

3. I charge pretty much after every trip (but I only got a little Lead acid pack)

4. Keeping the revs too low heats my motor up pretty quick. Using 4th gear at 50-60kph after 10km its warm/hot.
3rd gear @ 50-60kph it gets warm.
Using 2nd gear @ 40-50kph it will not even feel warm.
1st gear is too low to bother with in my car.

My normal driving style is just to stick it in 3rd gear and leave it there. Accelerate gently and coast whenever I can.
If I'm driving for maximum economy then I use the gears more. And the brakes rarely. Takeoff in 2nd and shift to 3rd at 50kph.

EClubman
Groupie

EV Driving Styles

Post by EClubman »

Just like everyone else said, except for a couple of things.

Pulse and go is good for hypermiling fuel economy in an ICE car, but not as good in an EV.
Your best economy comes when you keep the amps as low as possible to avoid the I^2R losses of high current.
So, rather than pulsing, just cruise at low amps.

Don't put your car in neutral down hills. Letting the motor spin will spin the internal cooling fan, especially after you just warmed it up climbing the hill in the first place.
Also, if you have a clutchless gearbox, you might have some difficulty getting it back into gear at the bottom of the hill.

I like the idea of cruising around in just one gear. Size your motor and controller big enough and you might not even need to worry about a gearbox :-)

Mark

Simon

EV Driving Styles

Post by Simon »

Yes indeed EClubman.
I dont think either me or Rod were suggesting Pulse & Glide would be the appropriate technique to use in an EV.
Its more of a reeaaally slow "pulse" Image if you like and by the time you have got upto speed you can glide to the next stop sign/intersection.    Image