Name Dropper

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
AirAg
Noobie

Name Dropper

Post by AirAg »

Hi all,
I thought I would share this interesting EV experience I had last week.
I presented a talk at an aviation convention in New Zealand and caught up with Larry Perkins (famous racing car driver) who was showing some of his racing car technology he has developed for aircraft. I ended up getting a ride with him back to Christchurch to catch our planes back to AUS . It was a very interesting drive (about 3hrs) and in the conversation I mentioned my EV conversion and he told me about his. I guess a few of you are aware, but Larry developed a solar powered car in 1983 and he and Hans Tholstrup drove it from Perth to Sydney totally on solar power. It took about 2 weeks and he averaged 67kph. The bits he could remember were that it was a 28volt system and the highest power draw was about 150amps going over the range near Sydney, and that it wasn't the most comfortable trip.
It was one of the world's firsts and it kicked off a series of across Australia solar car races in the late 80's. He said he got a huge write up in National Geographics. When I got home I googled it and found a lot of hits but not much detail.
Larry is a pretty smart operator who is still pretty involved in two super car race teams and also has developed some pretty good engine and airframe monitoring equipment for aircraft that our industry has nicknamed the 'Larry Box'

Peter
Peter
Thalass

Name Dropper

Post by Thalass »

I didn't know he had been involved in solar racers. That's kinda cool. He'd be a great rep for EVs! haha
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.
AMPrentice

Name Dropper

Post by AMPrentice »

LarryEV who would have guessed
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

No Queen, No Prime Minister, No hierarchical system to break down our communities
Never vote Labour, Liberal or Maggots like them.
Tritium_James

Name Dropper

Post by Tritium_James »

The writeup is in the November '83 National Geographic. It says top speed for The Quiet Acheiver was about 65, average about 23 km/h. The car was built by Larry and his brother Gary.