Dashpad Restoration

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
Johny

Dashpad Restoration

Post by Johny » Mon, 01 Jun 2009, 18:16

I have researched this a fair bit now and I can not find anyone who will restore a dashpad for less than a mint.
Many of the forums I have read from people doing it themselves do not sound like the result was good.
Anyone have any ideas? I am doing the wood part but the foam pad on the top is the problem.

Mark T
Groupie

Dashpad Restoration

Post by Mark T » Mon, 01 Jun 2009, 18:37

Dashboard Restorations in Arcacia Ridge Qld. have Singer Vogue dash pads. It may be an easy solution.

moemoke
Groupie

Dashpad Restoration

Post by moemoke » Mon, 01 Jun 2009, 18:45

That looks like a tough one, usually small tears etc can be repaired with a plastic welding gun and some vinyl weld rod but a big gash like that is a lot harder. Have you asked at car yards who they get to do
there repairs?
The only way I can think of is to cut back the vinyl and trim out the lumpy foam then get some stiff foam (from Clark rubber) and cut it to fit in the gaps then try and cover the whole lot in vinyl. still may not look good but other than sorcing one in good nick cannot think of any other way.

good luck
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
we borrow it from our Children.

Johny

Dashpad Restoration

Post by Johny » Mon, 01 Jun 2009, 18:54

Thanks Mark - I discovered them about Thursday last week and nearly wet my pants. "No, sorry, we don't do them any more!".
It would have been perfect.

moemoke. I've bookmarked about 3 viable looking methods so far but the results are mixed. I was prepared to pay but the only quote I have so far was $800. I may end up doing it but I have so much else to do I'd like to avoid it.
Best DIY so far

Johny

Dashpad Restoration

Post by Johny » Mon, 01 Jun 2009, 18:59

Actually that forum pointed to this one.

Squiggles

Dashpad Restoration

Post by Squiggles » Mon, 01 Jun 2009, 23:37

About 1994 I had the dash in my Fiat X1/9 re-skinned in Sydney, they did a pretty good job and it included covering a stereo pod I had built into it and some major cracks as yours shows. It is too long ago for me to remember the company. I am guessing similar companies are still out there.
I think it cost about $200 back then.

I can remember the company was recommended to me by a chap who had restored a 1918 Fiat, ask some vintage car restoration enthusiasts.

BaronVonChickenPants
Noobie

Dashpad Restoration

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Tue, 02 Jun 2009, 00:30

For reference the acacia ridge fella's quoted me $400 to do the dash in my RA40 celica.

Jordan.

Johny

Dashpad Restoration

Post by Johny » Tue, 02 Jun 2009, 00:44

I might get back onto them to see if I can't get them to try to resurrect the Singer Vogue dashpad. Thank fellas.

woody

Dashpad Restoration

Post by woody » Tue, 02 Jun 2009, 15:59

Noisyland Mob quoted me NZ$595 for a Mk 1 Cortina dash. Freight is a killer, about NZ$200.
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

Johny

Dashpad Restoration

Post by Johny » Tue, 02 Jun 2009, 16:34

Thanks woody. I have just emailed them photos and a request for quote.

Here is another photo of the dash pad so the thread doesn't get boring...

The Vogue went off to the spray painters on Saturday (30th May) - you can see in the cabin where I had removed all the door liners as well.

I thought I'd do it so they didn't get wrecked a bit (where the clips pull through). They were damp at the bottom so I'll have to redo them all anyway - I was just going to re-cover them - now it's a whole new door liner x 4.

fuzzy-hair-man
Groupie

Dashpad Restoration

Post by fuzzy-hair-man » Tue, 02 Jun 2009, 18:52

Johny wrote: I thought I'd do it so they didn't get wrecked a bit (where the clips pull through). They were damp at the bottom so I'll have to redo them all anyway - I was just going to re-cover them - now it's a whole new door liner x 4.
What do the door liners look like? if you are going to recover them I'd make the door liner out of something other than the original cardboard, I've used masonite? I think it was but others have used thin ply to make some really tough door liners that don't mind getting wet.

Quickgrip is good for sticking the vinyl down, I could also get it much cheaper at building supply place rather than the hardware store. Image

Johny

Dashpad Restoration

Post by Johny » Tue, 02 Jun 2009, 19:16

I was actually going to make lemonade out of lemons and try to use that lightweight plastic sandwiched sheeting you see in little temporary greenhouses. This in an attempt to remove a few hundred grams while I'm at it. Lightweight ply would also be good. Either way, for me, it's going to have to be easily workable - so many clips!!!

We are are going to use fabric instead of vinyl - same with the seats. The boss is an excellent seamstress and has agreed (in principal) to make the new seat covers (real covers not the drop over kind). The Vogue is pretty straightforward like that. The headlining may be a challenge - I have never done one. (I find myself often wishing some of you guys were in Melbourne.)

It's funny actually. Prior to driving it down on Saturday I was lamenting to her that I really didn't want to do a restoration (several times I'd sneaked looks at other potential donors) but she kept reminding me that I like driving this car. While pulling the air inlet off (3 screws) and exposing the REALLY simple blower and heater system I realised just how simple a lot of it is going to be.

I still loved driving it down to the painters - even with the blown head gasket. I also got a kick out of removing the fuel filler and sealing up the top of the petrol tank. What's in the tank better be enough to drive it back in a few weeks. Image

Johny

Dashpad Restoration

Post by Johny » Wed, 03 Jun 2009, 02:21

Response from Dashboard Restorations Ltd.

Hi John
           To restore your Vogue ash to new condition would costNZ$550.00 plus freight back to Melbourne, to courier it back by air door to door would be around NZ$180—200.00, freight is expensive due to the size of the parcel, if you knew someone coming to NZ for a holiday if they would combine it with their luggage it would work out well??!!

Restoration time at present 10days to a fortnight

Best regards
Steve Knight

Anyone holidaying in NZ in the next few months who doesn't mind explaining a 1.5 meter long parcel to customs?
No, seriously, at least I have one lead. I think I'll start looking for another dashpad (don't care about condition) so I can have a crack at one first and see how I go. The key is apparently "Bed Liner Spray".

Johny

Dashpad Restoration

Post by Johny » Fri, 12 Jun 2009, 18:17

I spent about an hour last night pulling the clips off the door liners (photographing them before doing so because the clip orientation is important), and realised that they are 3 mm masonite - not cardboard.
I also removed the wood strips. Only one of them will need re-veneering.

This is the worst one.

And this is pretty much what the others look like.
It doesn't look that bad in the photo but they are warped and it will be easier to just do the lot.