Polaris EV.

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
LJB729
Noobie

Polaris EV.

Post by LJB729 »

Hi all, I am new to the site and was wanting to ask a couple of questions? I have a Polaris Ranger EV, the batteries are shot, and i was wondering if i could use the Nissan Leaf battery packs, two of, 48 volts each connected in parallel, as per normal running system on these ev,s. What would i need to change to keep it running,? what battery charger etc,many thanks. lyndsay
4Springs
Site Admin

Re: Polaris EV.

Post by 4Springs »

Interesting.
How do you charge the Polaris? I.e. do you plug it into a charger, or do you plug it straight into the 240 V (and it therefore has an onboard charger).
Is the original battery lead acid or lithium? Do you know the capacity, either in kWh or in Ah?
The reason I ask these questions is that you may be able to keep your existing charger if you choose the right lithium battery to replace it with.

Do you know the weight of the battery? Is the weight important to you?
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

https://youtu.be/pc3WoYrmJt0
I would like to find a cheap 2nd hand one with shot lead acid batteries and upgrade to lithium. Should be able to use the original charger ( maybe modified) and add a BMS.
LJB729
Noobie

Post by LJB729 »

Hi, it has a built in charger, Delta Q 48v 15A lead acid only. They also make a lithium charger as well. Batteries are Trojan T1275 specs below.
Deep-Cycle Flooded
Capacity Minutes
@25 Amps 280
@56 Amps 102
@75 Amps 70
Capacity Amp-Hours
5-Hr Rate 120
10-Hr Rate 134
20-Hr Rate 150
100-Hr Rate 166
Energy (kWh)
Dimensions inches (mm)
Length12.96 (329)
Width7.13 (181)
Height11.13 (283)
Weight lbs. (kg)
85 (39)
As you can see carry eight (8) of these around is around 312 kgs. So a fair bit .
Last edited by LJB729 on Sun, 17 Jan 2021, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
LJB729
Noobie

Post by LJB729 »

Some other specs
Motor configuration Single, 48-volt, high efficiency, AC induction motor
Motor peak 30 HP
Controller 650 - Amp Sevcon Gen IV controller with multi-mode driving and regenerative braking
Battery pack 11.7 kw battery pack at 48V DC with 8 12-volt,US12VXC batteries in series-parallel configuration
Maximum speed 25 MPH (40.2 km/h)
Range (in Max Range mode on flat ground) 50 miles (80.5 km) (may vary with driving conditions)
Throttle Redundant, non-contact, inductive-sensing pedal
On-board charger Delta Q 120-volt AC input; 48-volt DC output
Charge time 8 hours (dependent on depth of discharge)
Hope this helps.
4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

LJB729 wrote: Sun, 17 Jan 2021, 12:55 Some other specs
Motor configuration Single, 48-volt, high efficiency, AC induction motor
Motor peak 30 HP
Controller 650 - Amp Sevcon Gen IV controller with multi-mode driving and regenerative braking
Battery pack 11.7 kw battery pack at 48V DC with 8 12-volt,US12VXC batteries in series-parallel configuration
Maximum speed 25 MPH (40.2 km/h)
Range (in Max Range mode on flat ground) 50 miles (80.5 km) (may vary with driving conditions)
Throttle Redundant, non-contact, inductive-sensing pedal
On-board charger Delta Q 120-volt AC input; 48-volt DC output
Charge time 8 hours (dependent on depth of discharge)
Hope this helps.
Ok, so it looks like your battery pack was originally rated at 11.7 kWh (if I'm interpreting that data correctly).

LFP (also called LiFePO4) lithium is great for replacing lead-acid battery packs, since they can be charged with a lead-acid charger. They are also a reasonably cheap lithium chemistry, safe and readily available.
16 LFP cells in series makes 48 V nominal. The 'full' and 'empty' voltages match up very nicely with lead-acid, so you can be confident that your charger will work and your controller will handle the voltage range.
Here is a 300 Ah LFP cell: https://www.evworks.com.au/winston-battery-wb-lyp300aha
16 of those would give you 14.4 kWh, would weigh 155 kg and would cost $10,560. You'd also need a BMS, which would keep the cells balanced and turn off the charger if something went wrong.
This size pack would give you a decent improvement on the original one, it should have significantly more capacity and should last a good long while (6-10 years).

There is a 200 Ah version, that would give you 9.6 kWh, weigh 128 kg and cost $7040.

I'm not sure how much the weight matters? In some applications you need the weight, in others you are better off reducing it. If you needed the weight you could put two of the 300 Ah cells in parallel and get twice the capacity.

I can't comment much on your original suggestion of Nissan Leaf battery modules, I haven't used them. I can say that they'd definitely need a different charger, they are not quite so foolproof as LFP (they can burn if mishandled), and they'd be secondhand when you got them.
LJB729
Noobie

Post by LJB729 »

Thanks for the reply Chris, i did look at those LFP but cost was a bit prohibited, for the price i could be three lots of lead acid batteries, working on the average life of eight to ten years i could have another 30 years of battery use, but that would far outlive me? That is why i was looking at the leaf units, some can be brought with a charger (Lithium Power WA),maybe just need to wire in a BMS to keep an eye on them.
Darren Downunder
Noobie

Post by Darren Downunder »

https://youtu.be/VYtkn-N_p4s

This guy reckons he can resurrect shot lead acid batteries. I’m not sure if this will work on a Polaris but I reckon it’s worth a try. I’m awaiting delivery of my new Polaris ev and would be interested to hear if it worked. Good luck.

[ Edited Coulomb: added YouTube preview. ]