Vehicle Census

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
drlizau
Groupie

Vehicle Census

Post by drlizau »

This is a followup from what I read looking at total vehicles in Australia. The figures are from January, and were published in June. https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/indus ... st-release has an interesting graph on the number of EVs, showing a large single year percentage increase in EV registrations. 12651 registrations Australia wide in 2020 and 20,095 in 2021. That is a 58.8% increase.
"Supply chain" troubles have affected most vehicle manufacturers, but not all. For example Tesla redesigned auxiliary service control boards to use computer chips that were available, so they were less affected by the shortage of computer chips bedevilling the established ICE manufacturers.
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
Solar powered as much as practical
brendon_m

Re: Vehicle Census

Post by brendon_m »

1.8% of the fleet for electric (well, "other" anyway).
Though it appears leaded petrol is hot on EVs wheels with 1.5%...
Screenshot_20211117-054740.png
Screenshot_20211117-054740.png (149.1 KiB) Viewed 328 times
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

you can still buy leaded petrol vehicles? I wonder what they are
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

My guess is it's just a glitch in the data entry, as in someone just saw petrol and hit enter but didn't notice the leaded bit
drlizau
Groupie

Post by drlizau »

It won't be a glitch, it'll be "classic cars". In NSW you can get cheaper rego if your car is over 30 and you belong to a car club. In my town there are plenty of these cars, while I only know of 3 BEVs.
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
Solar powered as much as practical
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Ah, good point. In that chart it's all regos not just new regos
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

I wonder how many will register their vehicle as the petrol variant of the same model to avoid the EV tax, the Blade EV's are actually a Hyundai Getz converted for example and even the comprehensive insurance policy calls it a Hyundai Getz ....... This makes the Blade exempt from the 2.5c/km EV tax the SAgovt is introducing soon

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

I’m struggling to think of a legacy manufacturer of EVs that are wanting to ramp up supply to meet anything near demand particularly in Australia.
AusKona
Groupie

Post by AusKona »

T1 Terry wrote: Thu, 18 Nov 2021, 12:34 I wonder how many will register their vehicle as the petrol variant of the same model to avoid the EV tax, the Blade EV's are actually a Hyundai Getz converted for example and even the comprehensive insurance policy calls it a Hyundai Getz ....... This makes the Blade exempt from the 2.5c/km EV tax the SAgovt is introducing soon

T1 Terry
As attractive as the proposition is, I don't know how you'd do that unless you could convince the dealer to lie to the authorities at first rego - unlikely. And then once registered a subsequent change in engine type would require false certification by an approved engineer - again unlikely. At least that's how it would have to work in NSW.

I bought my Kona in May 2021, before there was even a whisper of inducements for EV buyers in NSW. 3 weeks after I brought it home, lo and behold NSW announced inducements to commence from 1 September. My luck was ever thus :roll: $3000 subsidy for cars below a certain price, waiver of stamp duty, waiver of 2.5c RUC for a certain period of time. I didn't miss out entirely, though. Because I paid stamp duty, the NSW legislation says I am immune from the RUC for as long as I own the car. 100,000km will see my money back. At our current 7000km annual useage that's 14 years. I doubt either the car or I will last that long :lol:
Last edited by AusKona on Sat, 20 Nov 2021, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

AusKona wrote: Sat, 20 Nov 2021, 07:28
T1 Terry wrote: Thu, 18 Nov 2021, 12:34 I wonder how many will register their vehicle as the petrol variant of the same model to avoid the EV tax, the Blade EV's are actually a Hyundai Getz converted for example and even the comprehensive insurance policy calls it a Hyundai Getz ....... This makes the Blade exempt from the 2.5c/km EV tax the SAgovt is introducing soon

T1 Terry
I don't know how you'd do that unless you could convince the dealer to lie to the authorities at first rego - unlikely. And then once registered a subsequent change in engine type would require false certification by an approved engineer - again unlikely. At least that's how it would have to work in NSW.
buy a petrol variant, and a crashed electric. swap all the bits over and don't tell anyone
Ironically, that's also the easiest way to get an EV that's tow rated :p
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

antiscab wrote: Sat, 20 Nov 2021, 07:35
AusKona wrote: Sat, 20 Nov 2021, 07:28

T1 Terry
I don't know how you'd do that unless you could convince the dealer to lie to the authorities at first rego - unlikely. And then once registered a subsequent change in engine type would require false certification by an approved engineer - again unlikely. At least that's how it would have to work in NSW.
buy a petrol variant, and a crashed electric. swap all the bits over and don't tell anyone
Ironically, that's also the easiest way to get an EV that's tow rated :p
Yes, the return of the DIY EV, just using a more high tech path where the factory did all the hard work and only many hrs of labour required to swap it all from one vehicle to the other.
There was a brilliant thread where a member bought a Mexican built Fiat EV and converted his ICE to an EV using all the factory bits .... it was a huge job but as far as I could see, brilliantly executed.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn