Lend an adaptor to a not-for-profit org? Old i-MiEV

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
AndrewRR
Noobie

Lend an adaptor to a not-for-profit org? Old i-MiEV

Post by AndrewRR »

Hi

The Australian Energy Foundation has an old i-MiEV which we're looking to sell. However it hasn't been used since COVID lockdowns and its battery is flat. It's parked next to an EV charger in Brunswick Melbourne, which is unusable since it was upgraded during lockdown from Type 1 to Type 2.

We’re looking for a Type 2 to Type 1 adaptor, eg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKm01x3p188

Is there a kind soul out there who could lend us one for a day?

Cheers,
Andrew
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Re: Lend an adaptor to a not-for-profit org? Old i-MiEV

Post by EVdownUnder »

Andrew,
I haven’t been on the forum for a while sorry. If you still need it, PM me your details or contact me via text or call. I think that my number is public?
Cheers,
Patrick
2014 Dark blue G-edition Nissan Leaf
2022 Galactic grey AWD Hyundai Ioniq 5
2019 Ceramic blue Hyundai Kona Highlander - Sold
Aptera and Savic reservation holder
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Hi there - alternatively is there a power point nearby you can plug a portable EVSE into? I think I have a Type 1 portable and a heavy duty lead kicking around somewhere (or could quickly whip one up) - or someone can bring one of those instead. May open up the options a bit.

Cheers
Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric, 2010 iMiEV
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
AndrewRR
Noobie

Post by AndrewRR »

Wow thanks Patrick! I can't find your phone number so I've sent you a PM with mine. The PM seems to still be in my outbox, hopefully it gets to you!

Hi Bryce, how are you going? I've reading your article in the latest Renew mag - good stuff! Unfortunately there aren't any power points handy - it's in the middle of a carpark.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

AndrewRR wrote: Wed, 26 May 2021, 06:11 Unfortunately there aren't any power points handy - it's in the middle of a carpark.
Carparks sometimes have power points. If not, a few long extension cords might reach. That's definitely not recommended, but as a once off emergency to get enough charge to move the car closer to a power point it would be ok. Then do a slow charge for an hour or two so it can then drive to a fast charger.

Edit: someone like Bryce could possibly turn a nearby light pole into a temporary power point.

I note that the auxiliary battery may have to be charged first. Without that charged up, you can't pull in the contactors to start the car. So you'll possibly need 240V AC anyway for a 12V charger, or a jump start, or in the worst case a new or replacement auxiliary battery.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
lobster
Groupie

Post by lobster »

Andrew, here in South Australia the local Automobile Association (RAA) provides a road service to assist stranded electric vehicles.

The service vehicle carries a "GelcoServices" transportable EV charger that will boost the EV battery to enable a trip to a nearby charging station. See link below.

https://www.gelcoservices.com.au/gelco_news.htm

If the 12 volt battery is flat they can also jump start that too.

It may be worth calling the RACV Road Service to see if they can assist you.

Cheers, Steve
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

There's a point there, is the traction pack actually flat or is it just the 12V battery?
AndrewRR
Noobie

Post by AndrewRR »

coulomb wrote: Wed, 26 May 2021, 06:56 Then do a slow charge for an hour or two so it can then drive to a fast charger.
lobster wrote: Wed, 26 May 2021, 07:47...enable a trip to a nearby charging station. See link below.
It's already right next to a fast charger - but it's only Type 2 now, which is incompatible.
AndrewRR
Noobie

Post by AndrewRR »

brendon_m wrote: Wed, 26 May 2021, 12:28 There's a point there, is the traction pack actually flat or is it just the 12V battery?
Very good point! I'll take in my multimeter next time I'm at work (hopefully this current Covid outbreak amounts to nothing).
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

AndrewRR wrote: Wed, 26 May 2021, 18:33 It's already right next to a fast charger - but it's only Type 2 now, which is incompatible.
Ah. I should have said "so it can then drive to a compatible fast charger". I think that CCS-2 to CCS-1 adapters would be very rare.

Edit: Oops. I see you actually meant an AC charger (EVSE). Fast usually implies a DC charger, like CHAdeMO. Type 2 to type 1 adapters are at least more common. I use the opposite kind (type 1 to type 2) regularly.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
AndrewRR
Noobie

Post by AndrewRR »

coulomb wrote: Wed, 26 May 2021, 21:35 Ah. I should have said "so it can then drive to a compatible fast charger". I think that CCS-2 to CCS-1 adapters would be very rare.
Cool - it seems that these days, working J1772 chargers are very rare too. Moonee Ponds and Oak Park are both out of order according to the most recent report on Plugshare. The RACV club in the CBD appears to be only for RACV club members. Are there any others?
lobster
Groupie

Post by lobster »

Andrew, is any one else in your AEF branch a member of RACV club?

The membership and Roadside Service is available to the RACV member in need, and services are not tied to any specified vehicle.