AEVA Members: your Forum Login (here) is NOT the same as your new AEVA member login.
You do not need to change your existing Forum login.

Buying a I-miev

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
g4qber

Buying a I-miev

Post by g4qber »

2010 imiev doesn't work with evses from;
1. Holden
2. Mitsu 2012
3. Evse upgrade
4. Circontrol card model
5. Circontrol non card model

Just tested with Glenn at paceway mitsu

Thanks a million Glenn.

Also doesn't work with electrobay bollard at the west Australian.

I like the following features of the 2010
1. remote entry
2. Led? Headlights
3. Reverse beeping in cabin, but this could get annoying.
Last edited by g4qber on Wed, 26 Jun 2013, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

Haha
Just got back from trying the white one just before you.

And yes, no lunch box chargers Leeds & no blue regen light :(

Very nice to drive though & surprisingly roomy.

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

Windscreen & view out the front is impressive also.

acmotor

Buying a I-miev

Post by acmotor »

So the flag about 2010 iMiEV J1772 is correct. Early, not a full implementation.
OK, not the end of the world. Just not all the safety features of EVSE and not going to work with public J1772 systems..... but none the less, still able to charge from 10A / 15A sockets. That would keep some folk happy anyway.

You could wire one of these into iMiEV to make it compatible ?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/J1772-Active ... 3a80614b5c
I think they (or something like it are still available)

....or push MMAL for an update. (you guys reading this ?)

Still, saving many thousands on the purchase price may justify all !

Bladecar, thanks for the observation, I think. Image
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

No blue light for the regen? either.
Tried the drive @ 40km/h then backing off.No blue light on the dash.

Does this mean no regen function then?

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

Sorry, didn't read your thread properly.

Yes, the needle did head back to the blue charge zone when backing off.

acmotor

Buying a I-miev

Post by acmotor »

Renard wrote:..........   So let's make all efforts to purge those terrible units from our brains.........

While we are on that line.... what are we going to call the 'energy meter' in an EV. There is a big tendency to call it a 'fuel gauge' and 'tank'. Will that too cause exploding heads. Image

kilometres per hour kilometres per hour kilometres per hour kilometres per hour kilometres per hour kilometres per hour kilometres per hour
kilometres per hour kilometres forward slash hours kilometres per hour

acmotor

Buying a I-miev

Post by acmotor »

ZIPPIE11CAR wrote:
Yes, the needle did head back to the blue charge zone when backing off.

OK, accelerator pedal regen is working. It is a great feeling and so energy logical isn't it ?
...and did the power meter go further into the blue when brake pedal was pressed lightly ? This to confirm the brake pedal regen is also implemented in that model.

Note on the regen.
The regen is so well implemented and integrated with TCS, ABS and EBD. For instance, regen backs off when coasting down a gravel hill and a rear wheel hesitates. You can see the power meter regen (blue) reduce and a second or so later ramp up again gently testing for any further traction loss. Mitsi must have spent hundreds of hours perfecting those lines of code so the driver has a smooth safe drive, quite unaware of the decisions being made in the background. It is so seemless you have to really look for it and then EV grin again ! Image

acmotor

Buying a I-miev

Post by acmotor »

There is a red petrol iCar running around in Perth.
A friend (always having a dig at my iMiEV) said... look, someone has done a conversion.... to ICE ! Image

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

It did go very far to the lower end of the charge scale from memory.

There are a few of the I-cars in Perth.

Fabcars import them from Japan as an eligible import under SEVS.

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

They have even done a full carbon vinyl entirely over one of there cars.

coulomb
Site Admin

Buying a I-miev

Post by coulomb »

acmotor wrote: what are we going to call the 'energy meter' in an EV. There is a big tendency to call it a 'fuel gauge' and 'tank'. Will that too cause exploding heads.

I don't see any need for heads to explode. What about the "ignition switch"? I sure hope that there is very little ignition happening in any EV, especially as a result of turning the key switch. But most people (myself, not so much) seem to be happy with that. I don't think that "key switch" will actually catch on, sadly.

Our language is full of words whose original definition was based on some outdated technology. Consider the "shift" key on your keyboard. I believe it's called that because it used to mechanically shift the paper carriage (or something) on a typewriter so that a second set of letters would line up with the type hammers (I don't know the right terms for these things). The shift lock would mechanically lock the carriage in this position. Knowing that, are we shocked enough to want to change these names? No, we accept them as the words we've always used for those keys, and accept that they have a quirky origin.

May your heads remain whole.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

Renard
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by Renard »

coulomb wrote:
acmotor wrote: what are we going to call the 'energy meter' in an EV. There is a big tendency to call it a 'fuel gauge' and 'tank'. Will that too cause exploding heads.

Coulomb, I nominate "coulometer".
Last edited by Renard on Thu, 27 Jun 2013, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
Renard

Lismore_Doug
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by Lismore_Doug »

Well,
I seem to have brewed up a storm. When I was talking about the Li-ion batteries & fire risk, I was more alluding to the fact that the chemistry is more unstable than LiFePO4 batteries. I have been checking in the last week: it seems there are now well over 40 IMievs for sale in Australia. I will still add to this the 2010s that will come off contract very soon, so I still feel there is potential to grab a bargain (but as I said: twist hard!) It will be interesting to see what the ´new´ cars are asking in another 6 weeks.
Does anyone know of a car sold in the last 4 weeks: the adds definitely do not reflect it.

Good to get the info on the benefits of the later model ones. Also good to see some actually take them on dirt roads! (If we buy one it will need to cope with the occasional dirt road. Floods are a different situation: sounds like the water is a real issue.)

regards Doug

BigMouse

Buying a I-miev

Post by BigMouse »

I wonder how long it will be until we start seeing second hand Nissan Leaves for sale. In the US second hand ones are already as low as $20k.

acmotor

Buying a I-miev

Post by acmotor »

Gravel.
Our diveway is 500m of winding gravel with 27m rise where we negotiate the ruts and cow pats.
Gone up it a few times with the fun button pressed (TCS switch off Image ) Wheel spin all the way up and definitely a reminder that rear wheel drive rules (well, not over AWD). You could get into plenty of trouble as full torque is avail instantly and wheels are quite happy to run up to high speeds. Like vehicle at 40km/h and wheels >100km/h ... wild ice skating !
Turn the TCS back on and the electronics make everything docile and sure footed. Image

Doug, is water an issue ? I'm on my second winter with no problems. Surely the iMiEV as a production vehicle from a lot wetter country than ours has well designed water tollerance ? The battery pack and drive system are all sealed thought the battery pack can share cabin aircond so if there is water up and into your footwells then that is getting into a problem situation.
iMiEV water testing by mitsi

Yeah, prices will drop. That's what we want for EVs isn't it ?
We need folk to buy the EVs available now and have fun. I do !
Look at it this way, we need to purchase now to keep the ball rolling so the world will benefit from EVs in the future. Kinda like an investment that's fun.

It won't be long and an EV will be just another car and maybe the EV grin will be a bit ho hum. Right now though it is a special thing. Image

There is another positive. When today's EVs are second hand, worth less and out of warranty we can hack then more. Image

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

Can't name many standard if any cars that didn't drop in value apart from highly collectable sports & unique cars. Why would an electric mass produced be any different. Especially seeing the original price was plus $48,000,its already halved. I think like the hybrids in Australia, there a bargain due to the massive drop they have after 3 years compared to other cars. Plus the savings in every department on maintenance & fuel costs.

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

Testing, testing, testing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8KTFeEgX-c

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

Lismore_Doug
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by Lismore_Doug »

Well,
I went to my local dealer & made him an offer he could refuse... so he did.

They are asking ridiculous prices on the E coast compared to way out West. Wonder how long until sanity will prevail?

regards Doug

acmotor

Buying a I-miev

Post by acmotor »

That is a blow.
I think the reality is that if you want an EV you have to pay.
The East West thing ?? What were your numbers if that is not too rude a question ?

Surely MMAL are setting the bottom line price on the almost new $26k i's available at present independent of the dealers and their locations ?
The demos were also mostly owned by MMAL not the dealers ?
End of lease and company vehicles must all be below $20k by now.

Let me throw some thoughts in....
The two mass production EV manufacturers, Mitsubishi and Nissan have gone out on a limb with their pure EVs. Call their iMiEV and Leaf loss leaders in a new technology. The potential mass production costs after the first 1,000,000 will be lower than an ICE and a fraction of the cost of those crazy hybrid nighmares..... but for now I am certain the companies have taken to their accountants with gaffa tape.
..and you still get a 5/10year warranty on the i !
How cheap do you want it to be at this stage in history ?
You could buy a Reva ?

My feeling is that you are already buying current best practice EV technology at a fraction of the replacement cost.
The same price haggling that may have applied to a dino juice burner doesn't quite work with an EV.

I'm not trying to justify prices really, just being aware that from an engineering and technology point of view, EVs are in a totally different world to something that runs on fossil fuels and that can't be stressed enough.
I also had the impression that dealers didn't quite know how to sell an EV (or maybe they don't want to ?). You can sell an ICE vehicle without openning the bonnet so as to speak. The colour and the sound system matter more. But an EV.... you need to understand the heart and passion and appreciation of the present limitations that a buyer is dealing with in their mind.

So if you want a fire sale bargain price don't hold your breath. There will be more than enough buyers for the limited number of iMiEVs that have come to Australia.
I have even had cold shivers that we could have a repeat of the GM EV1 with manufacturers going cold on EVs again. But no, the snowball is rolling now..... geez I hope it is !

Don't forget to look at the Leaf too. At least there will be 2013 onwards models. iMiEV, whilst strong in Japan and Europe, may morph before another importation to Oz. Leaf has outsold iMiEV 10:1 in the US though that honeymoon might now be over as customers now THINK they need a PHEV.
It is all relative, but I found the leaf used nearly twice the energy of the iMiEV (a big factor when you are trying to generate your own power) and for all its luxury and extra expense, still had much the same (let's face it minimal) range as the iMiEV. I did fear Nissan's token 3 year warranty in Oz. Nice vehicle though.

I have to laugh at PHEV owners who comment how little fuel they have used and proudly tell you they haven't filled the tank for months. Why on earth did they think they needed to buy a hybrid then ?????
OK, for some the present EV range isn't workable.

Just drove 102km mostly highway #1, 3 POB, luggage and heater on. Cold and fog rolling in. I'm impressed every time. That was electric transport on energy stored in batteries.... and the ICE vehicles around you really do stink !

Sorry for the waffle. Image

Lismore_Doug
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by Lismore_Doug »

Hi,
about money: obviously not enough! They ´think´ they want $26990, which is unrealistic when I can (theoretically) transport one over from WA for $1400, on top of a $24990 price, making it cheaper than the local one..
Does anyone know of any that have been sold in the last 3 weeks? All the ones (over 40) listed on the web are still there, so not much money changing hands.
I do not have to buy in a hurry. I already have a reliable ice, & the Imiev will replace one of our current Pug 307s.
The local car is a Black one: I would prefer a light colour car, but of course if the price is right, I could be driving a Black one.
I really think I will be buying out of this area because the local dealer has a history of being difficult to deal with. Thank goodness we only need to service the car every 12 months.
The local service is one reason I want an OBD2 interface & s/w to monitor the car: A local dealer that only has 1 Imiev to look after, & only sees the car yearly will be a problem. (In other words I will want a comprehensive report on battery performance for instance, unless I can monitor it myself.

In our case, if my wife uses the car, she will be doing a round trip daily of 90 Kms: about as far as think they should be consistently driven. If we charge on the low rate electricity that starts at 10pm (if we switch to Timed rates), will the car fully charge in 8 hours? I am thinking that an open EVSE that can have an in-built timer would be the go, so it can be set to start at 10pm.

regards Doug

Lismore_Doug
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by Lismore_Doug »

Quick question: What is the difference between the 2011 spec car & the 2012? (I saw the info on the 2010 that the EVSE is different, not being J1772 standard compliant, but there was a query about the car itself not being J1772 socket compliant?).

Anyone know more?

regards Doug

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

From what I can gather there where a few basic changes:
1. The remote key start on the 2012 was changed to normal key.
Apparently this was due to people accidently leaving the fixed key on the 2011 on & draining the batteries.(I like the keyless start/entry on the earlier model but I guess something else that could go wrong)

2.2011 nice mags. 2012 ugly 3 spoke mags that look like there from the 80's (don't know why the hell they went to these)

3.Tinted driving light lenses on the 2012, not the 2011.(again why!)

I prefer the look of the older one but I have decided to go for a later model 2012 due to newer batteries & more warranty.

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

Not sure about the leed? Just check. As AC said, it should have the lunch box inline with the leed. Easy.