AEVA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussion > Batteries, charging, management and monitoring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Westfield new installations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ultralights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Westfield new installations
    Posted: 03 March 2017 at 5:16pm
Rumour has it, Westfield shopping centres have begun installation of EV charging only points in their shopping centres, from what i have been told, Bondi junction, Miranda, and Chatswood have added more to compliment the ones on the top level carpark under the solar farm, Yellow level apparently, near the Anderson st entrance. None of these i have seen with my own eyes, just through reddit in the Sydney page.

Miranda store.

Edited by Ultralights - 11 March 2017 at 11:43am
Greg partridge View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg partridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 5:10pm
Visited the new Chatswood Westfield today. There are 2 Dual CT 4000 ChargePoint EVSE's with 4 dedicated EV charging bays. Now on PlugShare
wattsaname View Drop Down
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wattsaname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 1:00pm
Westfield Carindale appears to be almost ready.

Four bays in Blue Carpark on Level G ...

edit - photo taken today added

Edited by wattsaname - 06 March 2017 at 3:15pm
2017 BMW 330e PHEV
antiscab View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Forum Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antiscab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 6:40pm
I hope westfield installs charge points at the new carousel development
Matt
2008 Mazda 2 - EV Shop convert
2011 Blade Electron mk6
2007 vectrix - 117'000km
1993 Electrolux - needs batt and charger
1998 Prius - needs batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
Jeff Owen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Owen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 9:39pm
I tried my Chargepoint card at Carindale tonight and was rewarded with a very satisfying "clunk" as the hand piece was unlocked and the display indicated that it was ready to use. The area is still taped off and I suspect this is for the markings on the ground to dry.

If I had a J1772 to 3 pin adaptor, I could have used an extension cord and charged my car outside the area.

With these four bays at Westfield Carindale on the east side, BMW in the Valley, four bays going in on the north side at Westfield Chermside and Suzi Auto on the south side, Brisbane is really starting to develop a functional charging network. The obvious location for charging on the west side would be Westfield Indooroopilly.

It is to be hoped that Westfield see the Carindale and Chermside installations as a success and are encouraged to include Indooroopilly. Obviously Westfield will be monitoring usage and I believe it is important that as many J1772 compatible cars as possible should make use of these facilities as often as possible. The more they are used, the more likely it is that the charging network will expand. So even if you don't actually need a charge but are passing, I suggest that EV drivers should stop and plug in for a while. Unused charging bays send out a very negative message to the provider and the general public.
offgridQLD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote offgridQLD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 5:59am
That's a very good point.

It doesn't take a lot of infrastructure if it's well placed before all of SEQ is a potential destination for even EV's with modest range.

I was looking at the plug share web page the other day and noticed the North lakes shopping center was listed. Though clicking on it.They had just taken a few pics showing there are several unsecured 10A outlets in the car park.

I'm still a little iffy on this practice (unless consent was given) Though if Northlakes is a Westfield? then perhaps they will end up with some dedicated EV charges down the track anyhow.

Would be great if Ikea, Cosco perhaps even Bunnings could spent some pocket change on a charger or two.

I would like to see more DC fast chargers (I did see there is a new one on the map out the front of a hotel on the sunshine coast) It would only take two of three more evenly spread around SEQ to open up the practical side of public charging on the go.

Edited by offgridQLD - 07 March 2017 at 2:49pm
Greg partridge View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg partridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 1:52pm
Let's send McDonald's, Bunnings, Costco, Woolworths and Coles a strong message that EV infrastructure is needed and good for their business. Can I encourage everyone to spend a few minutes writing a personal email to these businesses asking them to install charging infrastructure and discussing the benefits to their business.
The more requests the better chance that they will sit up and pay attention.
reecho View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reecho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by antiscab antiscab wrote:

I hope westfield installs charge points at the new carousel development

I believe wishes can come true.....
g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2017 at 6:27am
Mandurah Forum
http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/102078

Mandurah has one but not fully setup
7 grace charges left.

Haven't tried ringing their 1300 number. But have sent emails via their app. But no reply from chargepoint Australia

http://www.communitynews.com.au/canning-times/news/350m-redevelopment-of-westfield-carousel-begins/

Westfield Will probably be smart enough to include ev spots in their redevelopments

Edited by g4qber - 08 March 2017 at 6:46am
2011 i-MiEV - 87k kms
2014 i3 REx 90k kms
EmpowerRepower View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmpowerRepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2017 at 8:50pm
Ooohh, are these fast chargers or slow chargers? Not sure from the pic. Could really do with something on the north side of Bris.
Member of Sunshine Coast Community Solar committee
3 kW solar pv
Nissan Leaf EV, bought March 2015
EV/Sustainability blog at www.EmpowerRepower.com
offgridQLD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote offgridQLD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2017 at 8:53pm
No just slow AC chargers
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wattsaname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2017 at 7:43pm
Both Carindale and Chermside are now showing on chargepoint map

https://www.chargepoint.net.au/charge_point

Edited by wattsaname - 16 March 2017 at 7:49pm
2017 BMW 330e PHEV
bladecar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bladecar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 2:14pm
Hi,
I know nothing about external charging as I don't desire to do it except under exceptional circumstances. This means I know very little about it.
I have a 2012 Imiev which has a 3-pin plug.   Is this useful at the Carindale charging bays?   Does it cost to charge at one of these bays? Would you leave your car charging for an hour or two with no concern? I might charge a car to show that it is a necessity (for other people, as much as me, if I knew more about these charging stations (particularly the cost :))

This ChargePoint site is new to me.

I went there and chose a particular location. This is the message I got.

Your connection is not secure

The owner of www.chargepoint.com.au has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

I know it is Avast but is this a real problem or a very safe approach?

Edited by bladecar - 17 March 2017 at 2:17pm
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wattsaname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 2:56pm
Hi Bladecar,

Carindale uses the J1772 connector so presumably would be of no use to vehicles with other plug types. For those of us with J1772 connection it is currently free and, for my vehicle, 2 hours of charging whilst I was shopping would completely charge my battery and give me up to 30km of range (i.e. more range than I need to get home which sounds like a fair deal to both myself and the shopping complex which gets my custom in return for the free power).

I'm using a Mac and getting no warnings about the site but cannot advise as to its safety or otherwise. I personally have no concern about leaving my vehicle "plugged in" in a dedicated and well signed area (my vehicle would be locked of course).

To use the chargers it is necessary to register with chargepoint (at no cost) and they'll mail out a swipe card.

I attach a screen shot briefly showing what the chargepoint map looks like.

2017 BMW 330e PHEV
lesmando View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesmando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 3:30pm
You can register and order a card from chargepoint using their website https://chargepoint.net.au/register

If you choose NO to "Do you already have a ChargePoint card in hand that you want to activate?", then the form changes and you can choose YES to "We would like to send you two free ChargePoint cards. Should we send them to the address above?".

If you have unregistered cards, then you can add them to your account.
You can also use the iOS or Android applications after you register your details and create a login/password.
lesmando View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesmando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 3:33pm
iMiEV has a J1772 and CHAdeMO ports. The chargepoint is a Level 2 station with J1772 cables. No adapters needed. Unlock the station with your card / phone app and plug in.
bladecar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bladecar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 9:03pm
Hi,

Thanks for the information.

I knew there was a second charging plug on the other side but I wasn't certain of the type so I appreciate the reply. :)
Jeff Owen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Owen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 16 minutes ago at 8:27pm
Carindale is now operational.
Who will be the first to use it?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic