AEVA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Production Electric Vehicles > Holden/Chev Volt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

volt review, observations, tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: volt review, observations, tips
    Posted: 14 January 2013 at 7:49am
not for ppl with sensitive hearing
there seems to be a 8kHz whine from time to time, acmotor says that it is from the VFD
might be a reason for me to get rid of the volt if holden can't fix it :D

<edited 031013> accessories powers down after 5 mins; hold down the power button for 5 secs - this is accessories mode

air dam scrape
park brake service error - fixed

left front door wouldn't unlock - allegedly tinting ppl didn't put door back properly

*** RCD tripping ***
a) home
b) UWA
c) barlee st
d) the ave, oxford st
e) EV shop
f) bindoon

holden recommends their holden EVSE to be plugged in this way:
a) plug evse into wall
b) plug charge coupler into volt
c) energise EVSE
1/2 times this works
often getting Red LED flashing fault when it doesn't work
this also occurs if the EVSE is energized before plugging into Volt

e-station's
http://www.e-station.com.au/homecharge.html
no problem.
also Elecktrobay bollards
http://therevproject.com/trials/charging-trial.php
no problem; <edited 031013> - RAC DTEC may have issue and West Australian.

holden still working on
autodoor lock fix

volt chirps on charge
car alarm is scary
small glove box
no bluetooth audio

good points
a) auto lights work; unlike Lexus & imiev - they get fooled by mitchell freeway bridges
b) cruise control
c) sat nav, don't have to click on "agree" every time
d) collision alert, good for tailgaters; up to 2.5 secs
e) can delete files easily on HDD
f) light in rear hatch; imiev doesn't have this
g) push for high beam, pull for flash; imiev flash & beam = pull, can get stuck in beam by accident

indicators are similar to imiev
ie. don't turn off on gentle bends, turning right indicator turns off mid turn

mountain mode has been disabled for australian model, this allows engine to charge batt

heated seats set to max initially

lane change indicator sometimes gets it wrong

important to apply electronic park brake before powering down else volt rests on park gear; hopefully this can be updated in future sware.

range 60km @ 100km
10.3 kw out of 16.5 kw used; blessing in disguise cos 111kw from electric seems to be available always
indicators are electronic sounds, hence muted by sat nav voice

no grab handles on front seats, not good for seniors
holden EVSE no lock hole

*** post from Volt group buy page ***
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaft_voltage

one thing to watch out for
I probably should post this in a separate post

my 2013 volt trips currently rcds wherever it goes
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1076764_volt-owners-heres-why-your-delayed-charging-failed
a) holden EVSE
b) mitsu EVSE
c) evseupgrade.com EVSE

patrick finnegan's circontrol "relocatable" unit (fbox - finnegan box)
http://www.e-station.com.au/homecharge.html
is solid as a rock. also carts around like a rock :D, hence I went with the evseupgrade unit.
interesting thing is that on the volt this unit only charges at 10amps max
but on imiev it charges at 13 amp
will confirm with AC motors unit this week if his fbox does the same

patrick has card tag model that charges >10 amps; it too doesn't trip

I just wanted to get rid of my bluemotion golf & couldn't wait for price to come down.
also was inspired by the "revenge of the electric car" movie.

Edited by g4qber - 03 October 2013 at 7:42am
marty11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marty11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 4:49pm
Nice post .. been looking for a second hand volt but none on the market yet.

Is it ok to ask what price and what state you bought it in?

I went for a test drive in Sydney and put the handbrake on before I turned it off.

Wasnt any whine in the one I drove.

Just very quiet.

If it had of been less than $64900 , and it wasnt black, I might have done the deal that day. Seen around $62,850 since then. (Drive away no more to pay)

Hope you are enjoying yours .. post a pic if you have one!

ps. .Edit: You can buy a shorter air dam, they are available, that wont scrape, but you will will lose a little economy . If you want I can get you the part number.

Cheers.. Marty

Edited by marty11 - 14 January 2013 at 4:51pm
marty11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marty11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 4:56pm
For accessory mode. Simply hold down the Power button for about 5 or 6 seconds.

Have you tried that yet?

Let us know, cheers.. Marty
marty11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marty11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 5:11pm
"no bluetooth audio"

Here you go .. solution

"Seems Volts without Mylink are missing Bluetooth audio streaming. I found a device that helps with that situation and may be practical for others and is very small and inexpensive ($10).

It can plug into the Volt USB port for power in the center arm rest/storage and then into the aux input. No batteries needed.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083DYPQQ/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_SC_3p_dp_1

Hope this helps,...
acmotor View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 9:24pm
Regarding the VFD (if that is what it is) whine.
The Leaf at 60 to 80kmph is the worst. Basically its only real noise.
iMiEV has no whine but more road noise than Volt or Leaf.

Bear in mind that all these EVs are rather quiet and devoid of mechanical noise so any sound is more noticeable.

If I can offer an example of the whine.... it is like the transfer case in a 4WD on the highway. High pitched and not the same load (accel/decel) changes in nature as say a differential whine (lower pitch).

Now this is probably very hearing dependant and I guess the Nissan engineers were older with much karaoke experience as some folk just can't hear it at all. For others it is like the old CRT 15,625Hz line scan squeel. I found it quite off putting.

It may well be that the whine varies with vehicle and time, but it may not be correctable in the field. Dealers may offer extra speakers for the sound system if customers complain. Maybe a Honda like active noise cancelling system could be the answer ?

It may be related to the drive end gear of the emotor as it spins quite fast ? or the VFD switching frequency ? I guess it will be hard to find out while the vehicle agents have selective hearing, or maybe if you can't hear it then you are just lucky.

Re the Volt tripping RCDs, I'm thinking this may be related to an RFI filter on the vehicle prior to the charger control contactor ? Volt shows some leakage to ground (30kohm) and a charging capacitor (few uF) when pins are metered out with charger off. This is 'order of power up and connection' dependent. Fbox EVSE is double pole contactor, power points are single pole so there may be a potential for unbalance at power up ?
Volt engineers need to get on to this one since it is not a good look to come back to your EV thinking it is charged only to find the RCD tripped.

edit: keybored

Edited by acmotor - 14 January 2013 at 9:46pm
iMiEV MY12     95,100km in pure Electric and loving it !
BigMouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigMouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2013 at 6:09am
Originally posted by acmotor acmotor wrote:

(snip)

It may be related to the drive end gear of the emotor as it spins quite fast ? or the VFD switching frequency ? I guess it will be hard to find out while the vehicle agents have selective hearing, or maybe if you can't hear it then you are just lucky.

When I was in CA over the holidays, I drove a 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid. That car has the drivetrain right out of the Toyota Camry Hybrid. I noticed the high pitched VFD switching noise in that too, but only on regen as it slowed down between 40 and 30mph (~65 to 50kph). I was the only person in the car who could hear it, but that may just be because I'm so familiar with that sound from all the work I do on my own VFD.
g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2013 at 6:47am
Phoenix Holden Wangara, Western Australia
$68900 driveaway
had tinting & fabric & paint protection

the whine comes & goes :|, if this can't be fixed, I'll be selling the car :D
this was one of the reasons I got rid of the bluemotion golf, transmission whine at 2000 rpm
DSG 2.0 golf, sunglass holder would not stop buzzing.

the electronic brake is pretty cool, if you leave it on & drive off, the back drops down before it disables.
service parking brake errror:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-18137.html
http://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-18621.html

fixed now

will be interesting to see if the volt is running a form of windows :D
I'm currently getting freezing of a/c controls

some pics can be seen on recargo.com
RAC
http://www.recargo.com/sites/1743

the avenue
http://www.recargo.com/sites/2672

UWA
http://www.recargo.com/sites/1742

bindoon
http://www.recargo.com/sites/8231

yanchep
http://www.recargo.com/sites/8102

agreed I don't like black in a car

Re: Air dam
is that an official holden part?

Edited by g4qber - 03 October 2013 at 7:47am
g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2013 at 6:50am
Deleted

Edited by g4qber - 12 May 2013 at 8:17pm
g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2013 at 6:52am
Deleted

Edited by g4qber - 12 May 2013 at 8:19pm
g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2013 at 7:03am
Originally posted by marty11 marty11 wrote:

"no bluetooth audio"

Here you go .. solution

"Seems Volts without Mylink are missing Bluetooth audio streaming. I found a device that helps with that situation and may be practical for others and is very small and inexpensive ($10).

It can plug into the Volt USB port for power in the center arm rest/storage and then into the aux input. No batteries needed.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083DYPQQ/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_SC_3p_dp_1

Hope this helps,...

just viewing the USB flash drive that comes with the volt :), first time since I got the volt :|
I feel like the character in fifth element, "what does this red button do?"
ie not RTFM

there is an AUX input, will use this for audio from the tablet, so last century
BMW does it, hopefully fixed in s'ware update.
Bose sound system goes to waste otherwise.
main concern at the moment is power shutdown after 5 mins.
imiev stays in accessories mode until "battery goes flat" as ac motor says.
I used to watch videos in the imiev while the car was charging & also cat napping in the car.
both cars have quick release seats, unlike the golf with its screw type seat tilt

Edited by g4qber - 15 January 2013 at 7:07am
Johny View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2013 at 7:03am
Originally posted by acmotor acmotor wrote:

Funny. When Laurel (wife) had the LEAF on the Vic. EV trial for 3 months, she would often turn off the sound system just so she could listen to the quiet whine of the EV drive train. She loved the sound. Most noticable on run down. I didn't mind it at all - wish the Vogue was that quiet!
acmotor View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2013 at 8:10am
Vehicle noises are a whole new game in an EV !
When you are getting stuck into it in an ICE vehicle you don't mind a noise for acceleration relationship.
If you lack acceleration then more noise doesn't make up for it (yet so many, me included, as youth wanted loud exhausts on snails). When you grow out of that you prefer a more stealth (and actual) power.

Then these EVs come along and there is silent power.
Still, a link between accel/decel and emotor noise is accepted albiet subtle. (drop the windows on an imiev and listen, there is the delightful sound of busy electrons for Johny and Laurel).
... a total non event in a road tunnel thought !

The objection comes when a whine is there all the time, just linked to road speed. The silence pierced !
g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 11:25pm
Melville Holden have replaced the Holden EVSE (under warranty) - no more RED Led flashing issue.
Holden 10A EVSEs are only $AUD350
Paul Davies (dealer) normally charges with EVSE powered & plugging J1772 connector into car.
the SPX EVSE in their workshop didn't trip

Paul checking with Holden techs to see if volt is supposed to work with other EVSEs.

Edited by g4qber - 02 February 2013 at 11:29pm
antiscab View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Forum Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antiscab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2013 at 3:22am
is the holden EVSE one that hangs off your wall?

or is it a normal power point to car adapter, same as the mitsubishi one?

cheers,
Matt
Matt
2008 Mazda 2 - EV Shop convert
2011 Blade Electron mk6
2007 vectrix - 117'000km
1993 Electrolux - needs batt and charger
1998 Prius - needs batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2013 at 8:48am

This is the EVSE that comes with the volt.
it is not as robust as the Mitsu made by Panasonic
doesn't have nice Yazaki charge connector with hole for padlock.

good thing is that it comes with a 10A plug.
holden relies on car alarm to deter thieves

others have come across faulty EVSEs.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?19361-Voletc-L1-Charger-Fault-(Red-blinks)-Finally-SOLVED.-Is-there-any-danger&highlight=rcd
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?14741-Charger-dead&highlight=rcd

Edited by g4qber - 03 February 2013 at 9:36am
g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2013 at 8:55am

somehow this only shows up intermittently.
haven't worked out the frequency or reason for showing up.
g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2013 at 9:44am
phoenix holden volt trip

solution
1) plug in J1772 into car first
2) plug mennekes into betterplace unit.

also remember to push mennekes plug in first before pulling out.
both of these instructions were suggested by Stuart Speidel, UWA EV trial

Edited by g4qber - 03 February 2013 at 9:48am
acmotor View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2013 at 12:05pm
For real world public use of EVs and EVSEs it simply must not matter what order things are plugged / unplugged, turned on / off etc.
No RCDs should trip or any power coneections be made / broken under current. Connectors should not be live until handshake has occured etc.

How does the Mennekes connector perform the J1772 proximity trigger charger power off function ? I've not examined that.

My understanding of the J1772 standard is that it is well thought out and only a non compliant implementation of J1772 would result in any inconvenience, contact damage or personel risk.
Any 'do it in this order' fix is missing the point.

BTW, the low $350 price on the Volt EVSE is a welcome development in EV pricing ! The Panasonic spare from Mitsubishi is $1,600 list !

g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 6:33am
this is a great site for current evs that may make it to market
http://www.plugincars.com/cars

Edited by g4qber - 04 February 2013 at 6:34am
acmotor View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 8:24am
Shame the prices weren't AUD !!!

Now, if the logic is that an EV with trainer wheels (series hybrid) is two cars in one then a tesla model S is like a box full of cars in one. Power, luxury, size, ride, appointments, range, looks etc. I want one !! (or a model x .... why isn't that in the list ? There are plenty of other notyetiums in the list)
g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 6:14pm
imiev & charge-amps EVSE & clipsal 15A power meter

16A set - 13.599A
236.1V
3.184kW

10A set - 9.462A
6A set - 5.676A

volt seems to pull more current
except in the 16A setting.

volt on charge-amps EVSE
16A setting - 13.952A

10A - 9.815A, just remember to set the charging level to 10A in the volt

6A - 6.637A

Edited by g4qber - 04 February 2013 at 6:27pm
E-STATION View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-STATION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 11:20pm
Photos of the Volt in use with an E-Station on the E-Station Face Book site here: https://www.facebook.com/estation.oz
E-STATION View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-STATION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 11:23pm
Volt on charge at E-Station.

g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2013 at 10:02pm
Cool number plate at brian gardners holden

Edited by g4qber - 05 May 2013 at 7:18am
g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2013 at 10:09pm
volt bit me Monday
armrest storage bin clamps have sharp corners
filed down, all good now.

volt has new firmware
auto door locks when not in Park

RCD still tripping.

will try to test swedish EVSE @ Melville Holden.

will be interesting to see the resolution of the RCD issue.
might get a new volt :D or part of the insides might need to be stripped out.

one thing I do like about the volt is the sat nav gets a faster lock than the imiev.

Edited by g4qber - 20 March 2013 at 11:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic