UltraCommuter

News, Press Release, Insider info & EV Promotion Related
PlanB

UltraCommuter

Post by PlanB » Sat, 01 Jan 2011, 20:53

Followed some links from Tritium/Ultramotive & wound up at the Uni Of Waikato & a 650kg EV with decent specs that seemed full of promise just 2 years ago. Anybody got any inside knowledge on this project & how many were built?
http://www.i-am-electric.com/2007/09/ul ... ar-by.html
Last edited by PlanB on Sat, 01 Jan 2011, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

Tritium_James

UltraCommuter

Post by Tritium_James » Sun, 02 Jan 2011, 20:00

They built just one.

There's also a Lamborghini green foam/fiberglass dummy that the RACQ used for their "100 years of motoring" exhibit, sitting in our front carpark. Ultramotive used to have it up on the wall of their shed once RACQ finished with it. It's free to a good home if anyone wants to come and take it!

The design is based on a now-superceded Lotus Elise bonded aluminium chassis, which UQ had one of, although for some reason when the design was transferred to them the Waikato guys didn't avail themselves of the chassis and built their own from scratch with aluminium honeycomb sheets.

The car achieved about half the Wh/km compared to a 'normal' vehicle, due to the light weight, VERY careful attention to aero design, and a pair of really efficient PM in-wheel motors from Ultramotive and a couple of beefed up Tritium solarcar controllers. We were getting just over 100km range, on the highway at 100km/h, from a small 10kWh thundersky pack.

At the time, one of our mates from uni was the aerodynamicist for the Ferrari F1 team and ran it through their $$$ software to make some tweaks and get some improved modelling data for our simulations. I'll see if I can dig out some photos.

PlanB

UltraCommuter

Post by PlanB » Sun, 02 Jan 2011, 23:15

So who owns the IP for the UltraCommuter James? Any ideas why it seems to have stalled commercially? Technically it looks very good?

Electrocycle
MSN: dumhed@dumhed.com

UltraCommuter

Post by Electrocycle » Mon, 03 Jan 2011, 15:33

Tritium_James wrote:

There's also a Lamborghini green foam/fiberglass dummy that the RACQ used for their "100 years of motoring" exhibit, sitting in our front carpark. Ultramotive used to have it up on the wall of their shed once RACQ finished with it. It's free to a good home if anyone wants to come and take it!

got any photos? :P
The Engine Whisperer - fixer of things

Tritium_James

UltraCommuter

Post by Tritium_James » Mon, 03 Jan 2011, 19:23

I'm not entirely sure on the IP, I think Ultramotive might have some kind of stake but I'm not certain.

The reason it's stalled is that going from a hand-built one-off car with a fairly bodgy fiberglass shell (no stiffening in doors, etc) to an actual production vehicle, produceable in the 1000's, with door seals, movable windows, windscreen wipers, door handles, locks, demisters, ABS, crash testing, etc, etc, probably needs about $100M in investment to make it happen. eg Tesla.

Tritium_James

UltraCommuter

Post by Tritium_James » Mon, 03 Jan 2011, 19:29

Pics:

acmotor

UltraCommuter

Post by acmotor » Mon, 03 Jan 2011, 20:25

Point taken with the mop handle operated gul wings !
The shame is that many times that amount of money has been thrown around in the last few years with excessive bank profits the main result.

The overall appearance and colour are almost appealing. The EV1-esk closed rear wheel is so practical for aerodynamics but the look will be an acquired taste (i.e. revolting, but you'll get used to it).

I do wonder though if the squared off rear end was a market expectation as it would not have been low on aero drag.

The solartaxi EV was 70Wh/km at 90kmph and drove around the world so the consumpion number is nothing shattering.

Good to see this EV was experimented with though.
iMiEV MY12     102,980km in pure Electric and loving it !

EV2Go

UltraCommuter

Post by EV2Go » Tue, 04 Jan 2011, 01:46

There you go...Just apply a sticker on the back panel that looks like a wheel, problem solved.

acmotor

UltraCommuter

Post by acmotor » Tue, 04 Jan 2011, 03:11

That looks sooooo much better !

Hmmm, sticker would need to rotate Image

Actually, the best thing is that the EV had 4 wheels on the road (not just 3).
Although the left two seemed to be off the road in the pic. Image
iMiEV MY12     102,980km in pure Electric and loving it !

Adverse Effects

UltraCommuter

Post by Adverse Effects » Fri, 01 Apr 2011, 00:12

that green mock body shell is DAM HEAVY

thanks to the guys over at Tritium and a lot of grunting, groaning and hand cranking of a winch i am now the proud owner of it and its now sitting in my drive way

hmm going to have to make some sort of trolley so i can move it

now to fix it up (its gotten a lot of small chips and dents all over it) and smooth it out more so i can make a set of mold's off of it
Last edited by Adverse Effects on Thu, 31 Mar 2011, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

Richo

UltraCommuter

Post by Richo » Fri, 01 Apr 2011, 20:36

Then you have to figure out a new chassis base and your set Image
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

Adverse Effects

UltraCommuter

Post by Adverse Effects » Sun, 03 Apr 2011, 08:44

Richo wrote: Then you have to figure out a new chassis base and your set Image

not a problem it will be 25mm X 25mm X 1.6mm box space frame and i know i can come in lighter than the Lotus Elise bonded aluminium chassis

i would like to know how they got the aluminium honeycomb approved be the transport dept
i tried about 8 years ago when i started to build my 2nd Locost (lotus 7 clone) frame and i tried to get plans approved useing it for firewalls and stiffening and i was told flat out "no compasset materials can be used in the building of a ICV"

not saying they bribed anyone or anything like that

i would just like to know what rule they got it through under so i can use it my self

that stuff is awesome to work with and is so light you add in a small extremely light space frame as well and WOW strong and light
Last edited by Adverse Effects on Sat, 02 Apr 2011, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

Richo

UltraCommuter

Post by Richo » Mon, 04 Apr 2011, 06:22

They probably submitted a 200page engineers document that the dept transport didn't want to read...
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

PlanB

UltraCommuter

Post by PlanB » Tue, 05 Apr 2011, 15:22

Big project Adverse but the "100km range at 100km/hr from a 10kwh pack" that TJ mentioned is a desirable & worthy target. Those of us pondering ICE conversions are doomed to bigger packs just to cart around all the extra weight.
So will the trolley for moving the body shell be electric?