TC/Elcon charger connectors

How do you store and manage your electricity?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

I'm used to seeing female connectors on TC/Elcon chargers, for the enable input, 12 V output, LED connections (I've never seen these used), and the serial input and output:

Image Image

You connect to it with a male connector, like in the second photo. In this case, it connects to a CAN box. The CAN box has a male connector that seems to be in the same series as the 7-pin connector, but with only 2 pins used:

However, my 144/170 V 5 kW charger from the EV kit has a male connector like the CAN box but 7-pin:

For a while I thought that later CAN models come with the male connector, but non-CAN models still come with female connectors. For example, this CAN model from EVTV's Motor Verks:

Note the silver colour and the white collar, just like the others. But I see that the older organge coloured Elcons (some with other names) come with the female connectors, or at least I assume they are female:

The TC/Elcon documents aren't a lot of help here. One document mentions a SP1310/P connector. I found these on a Polish website called TME:

WEIPU SP1310/P7I

They look exactly like the connectors that come with the CAN boxes all wired up, and come with some non-CAN models without any connections. (I believe some come with a pre-wired cable, but only about 3 wires are connected).

I assumed that a Weipu SP1310/S7 would be the mating line connector for these, and would be what I need with my charger. Freight on these things is some twenty Euros, and I figured I'd be fiddling with a fair few of these chargers, so I ordered 3 male (/P) and 5 female (/S); the latter have a price break at 5, but the former have a price break at 10.

So for some AU$78, I have eight connectors. Alas, the female plugs don't quite fit my charger! The difference was about half a millimetre, according to my cheap calipers, so I figured I'd file one of them down and see if I could jam it in the charger's socket. Sure enough, with a lot of filing and digging out of the grooves, I managed to get it in. I've soldered a 4-way cable to it, and I can now use my CAN model charger with a simple adapter board I made up, a USB-RS232 isolated dongle, and a simple command line program I compiled up on my laptop years ago as part of the early MX-5 charger experiments.

I suspect what I needed was this connector:

WEIPU SP1311/S7I

It mates with the SP1310/P; the two SP1310s do not mate with each other.

For comparison, here is the SP1310/S7 that I bought:

Note how the one I got has a sort of black collar around the central black connector, and the other connector does not.

It's still only a guess that the SP1311 will fit chargers with the male connectors.

BTW, it was not obvious to me that the sockets with the blue collar at the front come apart under that collar; the body unscrews relative to the front part. I needlessly butchered one of these connectors years ago not realising that.

I hope that this helps someone needing these connectors, so they don't have to butcher or file anything.
Last edited by coulomb on Wed, 27 Apr 2016, 04:42, edited 1 time in total.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

It seems that the older chargers have the metal, male (pins) connectors, and the later chargers have the female (receptacle) plastic connectors.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

I came across a charger that was behaving strangely from the 7-pin round connector. It seems that they can rotate between the central part and the outer part:

Image     Image

As you can see in the first diagram, the large locating "tooth" is supposed to be between pins 1 and 6. Between pins one and 6 is marked in orange on the second photo. The large locating tooth is some 70° anticlockwise from there. The two smaller teeth are not shown on the diagram at left.

Foolishly (to my eyes), the pins are arranged symmetrically, relying on the teeth for location. So I was able to plug in the plug with all pins except pin 7 rotated. This actually connected pin 3 (+12 V on the charger) to pin 2 (ground on my interface), so I was getting a lot of negative voltages, and not a lot of working.

So that's another thing to watch out for when reassembling an Elcon/TC charger that actually uses the 7-pin round connector.

For completeness, this appears to be the charger-end connector:

http://www.tme.eu/en/details/sp1312_s7/ ... ors/weipu/# (female)

http://www.tme.eu/en/details/sp1312_p7/ ... ors/weipu/ (male - for early chargers)

[ Edit: had linked to only the male charger-end connector ]

Last edited by coulomb on Tue, 28 Feb 2017, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Mike, are any of the Elcon / TC chargers made with the simple "enable" wiring? Or are they all CAN now? I wouldn't mind upgrading Voltron's chargers to a pair of 3 or 4 kW chargers. I plan on upgrading the battery next year to an 8 kWh race battery, and potentially a 12 kWh endurance battery (heavy though). SO more power is needed for trackside charging. Luckily all racetracks have 3 phase power, but I believe these chargers can be dialled back with a potentiometer across the enable wiring?
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Answered in a new topic:

Elcon/TCCH charger models.
savaszengin
Noobie

Post by savaszengin »

Hey guys! This is Savas from Turkey. Does anyone know where I can buy TC-619B can modulation? I have a TC Charger and it can be controlled by CAN communication, and as you know the CAN communication module is required (TC-619B). I am not able to find it anywhere in my country.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

savaszengin wrote: Hey guys! This is Savas from Turkey.
Welcome, Savas.
Does anyone know where I can buy TC-619B can modulation?
If you mean the small external CAN bus box:

then as far as I know these are only sold with the CAN version of the older models. They used to cost around US$44 from poor memory, and this was added automatically to the price of a CAN model charger.
I have a TC Charger and it can be controlled by CAN communication, and as you know the CAN communication module is required (TC-619B). I am not able to find it anywhere in my country.

If you've bought your charger in the last few years, it will probably be the newer model that has the CAN hardware built-in now.

Unfortunately, the documentation for the newer model chargers is terrible at present. Also, they don't even give the new models a different part number. (However, CAN1000 on the label may indicate a CAN model with the CAN bus hardware built in. [ EDIT: No, I've found a counter-example. ]) You might be able to tell by the presence or absence of the 7-pin round connector (see earlier posts this topic); if you don't have one, then it's likely to be a newer model, which has the CAN hardware built-in if necessary. If you don't have the 7-pin round connector, then there is no way of plugging in the old external CAN bus box anyway.

My understanding is that with the newer CAN bus models, you get just a red and a black wire coming out; red is CAN-H and black is CAN-L (as you would have had from the 2-pin connector of the external CAN box). According to this post on DiyElectriccar.com, the CAN messages are the same. Presumably, they are the same fixed CAN bus speed of 250 kbps (kilobits per second). [ Edit: It seems other bus speeds are possible. ]

If you really need one of the CAN boxes, you might be able to get one from users that have older CAN bus models, but who chose to use the serial bus interface on the 7-pin round connectors (therefore not using the external CAN box at all).

As far as I know, none of the newer models have the serial bus interface at all (though without good documentation, it's impossible to tell so far). The PDF files at http://www.tccharger.com/english indicate that the 700 W model has the 7-pin round connector, but that the 2 kW models do not. So it seems that users who relied on the serial interface no longer have the security of knowing that there is a new charger replacement if needed.

[ Edit: small CAN box -> small external CAN box; removed spaces from image name ]
Last edited by coulomb on Sun, 20 Nov 2016, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.