Open source controller

News, Press Release, Insider info & EV Promotion Related
woody

Open source controller

Post by woody » Wed, 23 Jun 2010, 05:34

Hi John,

thanks for the video - it looks like a good controller solution.

Is anybody supplying built ones yet?

(no, not for me)

cheers,
Woody
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

bontar hoklin
Noobie

Open source controller

Post by bontar hoklin » Thu, 24 Jun 2010, 07:07

Hey this a great program to help manage a controller. If i may ask how can i run the controller so as to prevent it from blowing up. Since i have been using an open source controller which keeps blowing up after use for a short period.

jstan
Groupie

Open source controller

Post by jstan » Thu, 24 Jun 2010, 15:59

I will post the temperature results when I have done a good test over the weekend, so far I can see no problem with open source. My Curtis blew up after it ran out of warranty. I blew up my Cougar due to my lack of electronics skill but I have not heard of any Cougar failures since they have ironed out the bugs.
JohnStan

avolt
Noobie

Open source controller

Post by avolt » Fri, 25 Jun 2010, 00:26

Hi bontar
what happens to your controller when it blows up?
does it blow the power board or the control board?
do you have any photos of the blown controller
what is your set up in your car ,batteries/motor/car?
is yours the OZ version
i also blew my controller (OZ version)but found it was my fault,
now i have fixed it its been very good

jstan
Groupie

Open source controller

Post by jstan » Sat, 26 Jun 2010, 23:03

I have the RTD working and have just been for a test run, about 15km driving at a bit over 90kmh, Up to 100+ on the straight and 80 on the curves, I tried to drive aggressively and near the end I pushed the throttle to the floor at less than 60kmh and printed the screen, the result was 65degC , of course this is winter but on this test I can not see the oz Cougar blowing up due to overheating. Meanwhile I am very very happy driving my oz version Cougar everywhere and of course at a cost of less than a quarter of the inferior annalogue controllers that are available.

JohnStan

zeva
MSN: sigmunky@hotmail.com

Open source controller

Post by zeva » Sun, 27 Jun 2010, 01:28

Hi John,

Congrats on building a working EV controller, speaking from experience it is no mean feat (it took me over a year to design & build mine!)

Just a possible suggestion if you do find heat buildup to be a problem.. With 20ohm gate resistors driving those big TO247 transistors your switching losses might be pretty high, probably a bigger source of heat than conduction losses. You could squeeze more efficiency out of the design by going down to around say 5ohm gate resistors, though you'd need to parallel up several FET drivers instead of just using one (since 10x 5ohm in parallel is a half ohm load, which would blow a single FET driver), and you have to make sure the gate and ground loop wiring is short to minimise ringing (may need to scope the gate drive to check this).

Or an easier solution is of course to add a cooling fan onto the heatsink Image
Ian Hooper
--
"Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world." - Margaret Mead
http://www.zeva.com.au

jstan
Groupie

Open source controller

Post by jstan » Thu, 01 Jul 2010, 01:34

I have tried a amp hour test today, I drove normally ( not aggressively) at a little over 80kmh on country roads, then repeated the test on the same road driving conservatively up to 60kmh, for the 80 kmh the result was 1.495AH per Km and for the 60 kmh test it was 0.98AH per Km. So allowing for my 90AH pack being 18 months old and a new pack of 40AH, if I aim to use no more than 110 AH so as not to run the batteries down to far driving at highway acceptable speeds (80 to 85 kmh) I could travel 73.58KM and driving carefully (up to 60 KMH) I could travel 112.26KM.
John
JohnStan

Johny

Open source controller

Post by Johny » Thu, 01 Jul 2010, 15:30

John. Out of interest is this a nominal 144 VDC system?
That is 45 cells.

jstan
Groupie

Open source controller

Post by jstan » Thu, 01 Jul 2010, 22:17

Yes originally I had 45 Thundersky 90AH, these were always not quite suitable for us, we have highway driving to Bairnsdale about 30 KM each way, when new we had a range of 75Km and after a town trip we had used about80AH which I thought was pulling the batteries down to far so I got a set of 45 40AH under the bonnet wired in parallel therefore giving me 130AH.
John
JohnStan

jstan
Groupie

Open source controller

Post by jstan » Tue, 13 Jul 2010, 02:26

I have now passed the 1000km mark with my OZ Cougar open source controller Now reading 1067km, My symphaty goes out to Bontar, if he wants to try a open source high voltage controller again maybee he should try the OZ Cougar. in the near future I intend driving to Melbourne and will call in on the Melb. branch of the AEVA to show them a computer controlled Digital open source controller.
JohnStan

Tritium_James

Open source controller

Post by Tritium_James » Tue, 13 Jul 2010, 15:11

JohnStan, I think you'll find Bontar is a spammer (see weird links in his signature), I wouldn't worry too much about sympathy...

Congrats on a successful build!

AMPrentice

Open source controller

Post by AMPrentice » Tue, 20 Jul 2010, 03:20

what is the total price for someone to put it together for those not capable?
Ive seen some of the pieces available online including covers etc. but its
seems by the time you get it all together its quite pricey.
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

No Queen, No Prime Minister, No hierarchical system to break down our communities
Never vote Labour, Liberal or Maggots like them.

jstan
Groupie

Open source controller

Post by jstan » Tue, 20 Jul 2010, 05:06

Without going into specifics I would estimate that if you went the most expensive way and bought kits for all the hardware and had someone mill a case for efficient heat dissipation,you may come up with a cost of 6 to 7 hundred dollars, if you are then not willing to try to follow the instructions for soldering up the circuit boards surely you could get someone to do this for a couple of hundred dollars, after all this you would still be way less than half the cost of my Curtis that blew up without warrantee due to a fault that seemed to be developing from new. The open source Cougar may be a challenge, but to suggest that it may be expensive compared to the commercial units is beyond comprehension. As a footnote, my Cougar is nearly up to 1500kms and I am now looking into the idea of fitting a LCD display in the dash, to show among other things the amp hours used so as to act as a fuel gauge. Try doing that with your analouge controllers.
JohnStan

woody

Open source controller

Post by woody » Tue, 20 Jul 2010, 13:00

I think jStan is the only user of the Oz Cougar to have any significant distance under their belt - and after blowing 1 or 2 up.
I've heard from someone I respect that after blowing up 2 Oz Cougars themselves that their next step was to try the UK version with IGBTs.

(Hopefully they'll comment)
Last edited by woody on Tue, 20 Jul 2010, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

avolt
Noobie

Open source controller

Post by avolt » Tue, 20 Jul 2010, 17:46

Hi Woody
I have done 950km now with my OZ Cougar Controller in my 92 Hilux,
Warp 9 motor with no problems,fans are set to come on at 50c.
I have tested the controller and the hottest i have seen it is 42c mostly 35c.
very easy to control the amp limit ,rev limit and a heap of other things with a laptop.
I am very happy with this controller,it's so smooth.

"Ohms what a feeling Toyvolta"

http://www.evalbum.com/3325

EV2Go

Open source controller

Post by EV2Go » Tue, 20 Jul 2010, 17:57

And to be fair to the OZ version jstan did admit that both problems was of his own doing not fault by design.

Sweet looking controller there avolt.

woody

Open source controller

Post by woody » Tue, 20 Jul 2010, 19:37

avolt wrote: Hi Woody
I have done 950km now with my OZ Cougar Controller in my 92 Hilux,
Warp 9 motor with no problems,fans are set to come on at 50c.
I have tested the controller and the hottest i have seen it is 42c mostly 35c.
very easy to control the amp limit ,rev limit and a heap of other things with a laptop.
I am very happy with this controller,it's so smooth.
Hi Avolt,

Good to have more success stories :-)

I really like the look of your engine bay - the angled mounting looks very V8 :-)

I'm guessing that's an AC compressor and an alternator - how effective is the AC?

Was AC enough to demist for rego, or did you need a heater as well?

cheers,
Woody

avolt
Noobie

Open source controller

Post by avolt » Wed, 21 Jul 2010, 03:20

the A/C was not needed for rego, and I had already installed a 240v 1500w ceramic heater running at 150v dc it still works just fine.
A/c works very well,at 2000 rpm vehicle stopped the amp gauge reads 20amps with the A/C running,I had to make up a small circuit to get the A/C running because the compressor would only kick in when it got a signal from the ign coil.
I must admit the first day i installed my OZ cougar controller I forgot to install an insulation strip and blew some mosfets
I quickly found the problem with some help and repaired the controller
and was back on the road in two days.my Bad!
now I have done 950km with this controller I would recommend it 100%.
i got the case made and lots of parts and help from Ian at Digital home technology

"Ohms what a feeling Toyvolta"

http://www.evalbum.com/3325

EV2Go

Open source controller

Post by EV2Go » Wed, 21 Jul 2010, 20:12

All you need is some pro boot gaurd over those orange leads and they would look like spark plug leads Image

MSD used to make a super sexy red one that fit over really big leads used on top fuel drag cars that had magnitos. Other than the red colour not being orange for compliance, they would look hot Image
Last edited by EV2Go on Wed, 21 Jul 2010, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

mcudogs
Groupie

Open source controller

Post by mcudogs » Wed, 21 Jul 2010, 23:54

woody wrote: I think jStan is the only user of the Oz Cougar to have any significant distance under their belt - and after blowing 1 or 2 up.
I've heard from someone I respect that after blowing up 2 Oz Cougars themselves that their next step was to try the UK version with IGBTs.

(Hopefully they'll comment)

Woody,

As the designer of the Oz Cougar I would appreciate any feedback or problems encountered with the controller. Do you think you could get the guy who blew up the 2 controllers to PM me with the details?

jstan
Groupie

Open source controller

Post by jstan » Wed, 21 Jul 2010, 23:56

Hi Woody, Yes you are right one of our OZ group had blown two of the OZ controllers I don't know what caused his to blow. Apart from him I have blown two through my own fault and AVOLT has blown one through a mistake so it seems that if you want a good digital controller at a good price you have to be very carefull and follow the instructions that have been sent to all members of the group. I am sorry if your friend made his before all of the kinks were ironed out and instructions sent. I am told that there is a OZ controller operating in or near Brisbane, apart from that there is mine , Avolts and mcudogs in Brisbane has one completed tested and driven just waiting on Rego.
JohnStan

Thalass

Open source controller

Post by Thalass » Sat, 24 Jul 2010, 21:42

Very interesting. I may end up trying to build an Oz Cougar for my bike, instead of buying an Altrax.
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.

lachlanmiller
Noobie
AIM: 99 draper st

Open source controller

Post by lachlanmiller » Wed, 12 Jan 2011, 16:30

sorry for bringing up an old thread. i am going to build one of these and i have done a bit of searching around but haven't found much details.

where can i find schematics, pcb's(if designed), and general info on how to build one.

Cheers
Lachlan

mcudogs
Groupie

Open source controller

Post by mcudogs » Thu, 13 Jan 2011, 04:01

This is a link to the wiki for the controller
Cougar

lachlanmiller
Noobie
AIM: 99 draper st

Open source controller

Post by lachlanmiller » Thu, 13 Jan 2011, 04:21

Thanks. Your links seem to be dead, do you have any plans to update them?

also looking at Ian Barties links there are some issues with his board, i.e swapping pins on some IC's. Did you update the board so you didn't have to do that?

Thanks!