Contactors - GIGAVAC

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
eRace
Noobie

Contactors - GIGAVAC

Post by eRace » Tue, 11 May 2010, 21:02

I imported a quantity and range of GIGAVAC contactors. I'm located in Sydney but haven't been able to attend Tuesday evening AEVA meetings due to study commitments. I hope soon to able to give members a presentation/ talk on the subject. I've been researching these puppies for a long time and want to make contactors my specialty, feel free to ask.

gholm
Groupie

Contactors - GIGAVAC

Post by gholm » Mon, 04 Oct 2010, 02:04

Hey eRace.
Likely I'm pushing the envelope here being many months after the fact but tell me more about these Gigavac contactors.
How's your testing on them? Have you managed to break any yet? and how?
What sizes of amperage are you using them with?

Love to know more.

eRace
Noobie

Contactors - GIGAVAC

Post by eRace » Mon, 04 Oct 2010, 15:54

I can't help you 'that directly' with those questions, however, I spent months checking out contactors, researching designs and talking with Gigavac staff & other engineers before I decided to import this range. Gigavac contactors are built to military/ aerospace specs. A lessor mainstream rival is the Kilovac EV200 series, which the Gigavac beats 'spec for spec' and reports to date (without bending the facts). Until I find evidence to the contrary Gigavac definitely seems like a superior product. I offered some suggestions for features and additional power handling. They have since produced even more practical & powerful solutions. Gigavac are moreso engineers & not so much marketeers. They seem to understate their excellent product quality and features. Some of the top Gigavac engineers originally worked for Kilovac, before Kilovac got taken over by Tyco. They left to form Gigavac to build a better product for which there's now solid demand in the US. Gigavac high amperage contactors feature a ceramic to metal hermetic seal rated to 175 deg C; Gigavac also offers high-efficiecny dual coils to neutralise cross-talk on power system controls and 'noise'. How this dual-coil set-up works is that the higher rated (more rapid) one disengages leaving the secondary in place which requires far less power to keep the contactor engaged. Gigavac also feature built-in coil suppression which saves engineering time (and mistakes) to source and assemble the right parts and saves the cost and effort of running around getting those parts; etc. How many amps do you want to draw constantly and at peak load and for how long?
Last edited by eRace on Thu, 07 Oct 2010, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.

eRace
Noobie

Contactors - GIGAVAC

Post by eRace » Mon, 04 Oct 2010, 15:57

eRace wrote: I can't help you 'that directly' with those questions, however, I spent months checking out contactors, researching designs and talking with Gigavac staff & other engineers before I decided to import this range. Gigavac contactors are built to military/ aerospace specs. A lessor mainstream rival is the Kilovac EV200 series, which the Gigavac beats 'spec for spec' and reports to date (without bending the facts). Until I find evidence to the contrary Gigavac definitely seems like a superior product. I offered some suggestions for features and additional power handling. They have since produced even more practical & powerful solutions. Gigavac are moreso engineers & not so much marketeers. They seem to understate their excellent product quality and features. Some of the top Gigavac engineers originally worked for Kilovac, before Kilovac got taken over by Tyco. They left to form Gigavac to build a better product for which there's now solid demand in the US. Gigavac high amperage contactors feature a ceramic to metal hermetic seal rated to 175 deg C; Gigavac also offers high-efficiency dual coils to neutralise cross-talk on power system controls and 'noise'. How this dual-coil set-up works is that the higher rated (more rapid) one disengages leaving the secondary in place which requires far less power to keep the contactor engaged. Gigavac also feature built-in coil suppression which saves engineering time (and mistakes) to source and assemble the right parts and saves the cost and effort of running around getting those parts; etc. How many amps do you want to draw constantly and at peak load and for how long?
Last edited by eRace on Mon, 04 Oct 2010, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.

gttool
Groupie

Contactors - GIGAVAC

Post by gttool » Fri, 08 Oct 2010, 00:38

Can these contactors be mounted in any plane?

Richo

Contactors - GIGAVAC

Post by Richo » Fri, 08 Oct 2010, 04:17

I would think they can.
Be a damn pain if they meet aerospace specs and can't have the planes do a loop-de-loop.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

eRace
Noobie

Contactors - GIGAVAC

Post by eRace » Fri, 08 Oct 2010, 09:04

Hi GT... Yes they can be mounted in any plane. For example , the 'drop-in' replacement series for the EV200 are the GX200 range, where power cables run along the surface then hook-up but 52mm off that surface. Gigavac's most popular designs the GX 11, 12 & 14 series all allow power cable hook-up 10mm off the mount suface (GX16 is 13mm). This allows cable to power post mounting to be more direct, stronger and simpler than previous industry designs. The GX14 & 16 series at 75 deg C are designed to continuously draw 350A+ while the GX16 can continuously draw 600A. There's a very compact military spec version, the MX34 that comes with a wall/ side mount bracket. This version enables direct hook up of cable to power posts 'off-the-wall' and under the base of the unit. This is unit continuously handles 400A.
Last edited by eRace on Thu, 07 Oct 2010, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

eRace
Noobie

Contactors - GIGAVAC

Post by eRace » Fri, 08 Oct 2010, 09:26

Hi Richo, doomed space shuttle o-ring issues nothwithstanding, these Gigavac puppies can really withstand shakes, rattles, n' rolls, loop-de-loops included! Further, believe it or not, they can even work under water for up to 30 minutes! So, "splish-splash, shake, rattle 'n roll, loop-de-loop"; all with a hold-coil power consumption as low as 1 watt, and no cross talk.
Last edited by eRace on Thu, 07 Oct 2010, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

gttool
Groupie

Contactors - GIGAVAC

Post by gttool » Fri, 08 Oct 2010, 12:57

I I have a contactor mounted on fire wall and it doesn't turn off half the time it is brand new so must have aninternal problem
When it turns off you get a clunk or a click if it not ???
It is a 600a one
Geoff

gmacd33
Groupie

Contactors - GIGAVAC

Post by gmacd33 » Fri, 08 Oct 2010, 16:59

WRT the contactor not turning off, my colleagues have had similar problems with installations in industrial sites - usually the leakage current of the transistor switching the contactor is too high, so that once the contactor is on it can't switch off. What are you using to switch the contactor coil?
Greg MacDonald
Chief Technical Officer
Lithium Battery Systems
043-848-0011
greg@lithiumbatterysystems.com.au

gmacd33
Groupie

Contactors - GIGAVAC

Post by gmacd33 » Fri, 08 Oct 2010, 17:01

Geoff, another problem may be the rating of the contactor - is it rated for the voltage you are switching, and specifically is it made for DC? AC contactors rely on the zero crossing of the current in the sine wave cycle, which does not require as much spring force to break the contacts.
Greg MacDonald
Chief Technical Officer
Lithium Battery Systems
043-848-0011
greg@lithiumbatterysystems.com.au

Johny

Contactors - GIGAVAC

Post by Johny » Fri, 08 Oct 2010, 17:07

This came up a while back in DIYElectricCar.
They blamed high inrush current (no pre-charge resistor) causing the contacts to stick.
Link

eRace
Noobie

Contactors - GIGAVAC

Post by eRace » Fri, 08 Oct 2010, 18:25

Geoff, is it a GX16B or C? The B is 12v, C is 24v. I've been more focused on lighter applications for go-karts and motorcycles, I don't have first hand experience with the 600A version. I do know that earlier this year Gigavac minimised their auxiliary connection options in the GX11, 12 & 14 to improve overall reliability. Before this, because folks were not using pre-charge resistors and causing all sorts of problems for themselves, Gigavac decided to include them as an internal standard item. I'll try to email you an info sheet I edited from excerpts of Gigavac's. I hope it's of some use for you.