Australian Prius OBD2 connector location

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
coulomb

Post by coulomb » Sun, 27 Sep 2009, 01:00

I hope that this topic is considered "EV enough" for these forums.

It took me ages to find the OBD2 connector on my 2007 (Gen II) Prius. That's where you plug in CAN bus or scanner tools, such as the ScanGuage II. Such tools are invaluable for accurate fuel usage, battery SOC, various temperatures, and can also be used to clear error codes.

Image     Image

As you can see, it's somewhat hidden. All cars 1996 or later should have this connector somewhere in the passenger cabin, at least if they are sold in the USA. The location would obviously be different for LH drive vehicles, and may even be different for Japanese models.

Edit: link to Australian ScanGuage II site.
Last edited by coulomb on Sat, 26 Sep 2009, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
Learning how to repair and re-flash TC/Elcon chargers and PIP-4048 inverter-chargers.

Simon

Post by Simon » Sun, 27 Sep 2009, 04:12

Its EV enough for me! Image
So Im guessing you have a Scangauge?
Do you have the newer version with the Xgauges?
If so what are they like on the Prius for displaying hybrid battery SOC, Amps and volts?
I have the older non Xgauge version and have been thinking about upgrading it. On my 01 Prius it doesnt show a lot of gauges(or fuel economy) and it would be nice to have more of an idea of the SOC other than full, normal and low.(forced recharge argghh!)

edit My 2001 Prius has the port in a different spot in the far right of your first picture just behind the plastic trim.
Last edited by Simon on Sat, 26 Sep 2009, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

coulomb

Post by coulomb » Sun, 27 Sep 2009, 17:58

Simon wrote: So I'm guessing you have a Scangauge?
Um, no, I was waiting to find the connector! Image   I have my eye on one, but I want to make sure it has X-gauge and isn't the version (3.14) that has X-gauge and doesn't support the Prius properly.

To upgrade, do you have to send it to the US? Or does the Australian site handle it?
My 2001 Prius has the port in a different spot in the far right of your first picture just behind the plastic trim.

Interesting. Perhaps you could post a picture, assuming it's also somewhat hidden?
Learning how to repair and re-flash TC/Elcon chargers and PIP-4048 inverter-chargers.

Squiggles

Post by Squiggles » Sun, 27 Sep 2009, 18:47

coulomb wrote:

What is the little pedal with push written on it?

Simon

Post by Simon » Sun, 27 Sep 2009, 19:18

Squiggles wrote:

That pedal is the "handbrake!!" Image
AKA the park brake.

woody

Post by woody » Sun, 27 Sep 2009, 19:31

Squiggles wrote:
I'm guessing it's the parking brake, like a '68 Merc 280S or a '68 Chev Impala.

I think a American cars usually have it there. Better than the umbrella handbrake of the Valiants, Holdens, and Fords...

When the top selling car for 20 years has a bench front seat (Ford F100 Pickup) and 90%+ cars have been automatic for 40 years, market forces push in a different direction...

I can't see that a hill start would be easy with one of them if you had a manual gearbox. (4/5 pedals)

Top Gear GB did a nice piece on the evolution of car controls to the current Accel., Brake, Clutch pedals right to left plus a gear level and a steering wheel - away from tillers etc.
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

coulomb

Post by coulomb » Sun, 27 Sep 2009, 23:37

Squiggles wrote: What is the little pedal with push written on it?

It is indeed the parking brake, which we Australians usually think of as the hand brake. It's not my favourite feature, but you get used to it. Alas, my wife tried to use it as a clutch recently by mistake (we have a manual Forester that she drove for a week before that), and brought the car smartly to a halt. Fortunately, no vehicle was following immediately behind!

The other thing I don't like about it is that it is push on / push off. So if you push on, then decide it might not be far enough, and push further, it might decide that you want to take the brake off now. To be sure, you have to put the other foot on the foot brake, push off then push on properly.

Squiggles

Post by Squiggles » Mon, 28 Sep 2009, 01:10

I think I would be inclined to remove it before I remove the ICE.

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go » Wed, 30 Sep 2009, 22:19

woody wrote:
Squiggles wrote:
I'm guessing it's the parking brake, like a '68 Merc 280S or a '68 Chev Impala.

I think a American cars usually have it there. Better than the umbrella handbrake of the Valiants, Holdens, and Fords...

When the top selling car for 20 years has a bench front seat (Ford F100 Pickup) and 90%+ cars have been automatic for 40 years, market forces push in a different direction...

I can't see that a hill start would be easy with one of them if you had a manual gearbox. (4/5 pedals)

Top Gear GB did a nice piece on the evolution of car controls to the current Accel., Brake, Clutch pedals right to left plus a gear level and a steering wheel - away from tillers etc.

Hey Woody you don’t need to leave home to find those in a car... our own home grown LH and LX Toranas had them. Right royal pain in the back side because you can’t release them slowly like a normal hand brake. Was very happy when the UC Torana came out with the handbrake in the centre console.

Coulomb you can sometimes find them under the drivers side kick panel as well, that's where it was on my 180sx.
Last edited by EV2Go on Wed, 30 Sep 2009, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.