Direct Drive Help

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
Post Reply
sauron_3746
Noobie
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue, 05 Aug 2008, 01:39
Real Name: Andrew Baker
Location: Albury, NSW
MSN: andrewbaker3746@hotmail.com

Direct Drive Help

Post by sauron_3746 » Sun, 09 Sep 2018, 17:32

Hi All,

After some coupling issues I have decided to change my EV to direct drive and need some guidance. I have a Warp 9 in a Suzuki Vitara. Vehicle only weighs 1 tonne. It is not the yoke and spline version of the motor so I will need to somehow get a keyway uni joint or yoke and spline setup. I have seen that you can buy drive shafts with a yoke and spline built in. Would this be an option.

Also, is there anyone in Victoria, or Melbourne who would have the knowledge and skills to set me up?

Any assistance appreciated.

Regards

Andrew

User avatar
Richo
Senior Member
Posts: 3349
Joined: Mon, 16 Jun 2008, 00:19
Real Name: Richard
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Direct Drive Help

Post by Richo » Mon, 10 Sep 2018, 12:49

here is the previous thread you had...
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4442&p=55411&hilit ... iff#p55411

I do vaguely remember seeing a motor directly coupled to the diff - no tailshaft.
It was bright yellow.
Anybody know where this thread is?
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

User avatar
Richo
Senior Member
Posts: 3349
Joined: Mon, 16 Jun 2008, 00:19
Real Name: Richard
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Direct Drive Help

Post by Richo » Mon, 10 Sep 2018, 12:56

Oh here is what you're talking about
http://www.evalbum.com/3016

Image
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

User avatar
Richo
Senior Member
Posts: 3349
Joined: Mon, 16 Jun 2008, 00:19
Real Name: Richard
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Direct Drive Help

Post by Richo » Mon, 10 Sep 2018, 13:04

An alternative is to fit a center bearing like the bmw.
Image
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

User avatar
woody
Senior Member
Posts: 1707
Joined: Sat, 21 Jun 2008, 02:03
Real Name: Anthony Wood
Location: Mt Colah

Re: Direct Drive Help

Post by woody » Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 07:52

@Johnny got a sliding spline made for his Vogue at Precision Balancing in Melbourne http://electricvogue.blogspot.com/searc ... -date=true
I think his motor was imbalanced and so was the tailshaft.
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

User avatar
Johny
Senior Member
Posts: 3702
Joined: Mon, 23 Jun 2008, 16:26
Real Name: John Wright
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: Direct Drive Help

Post by Johny » Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 09:11

woody wrote:
Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 07:52
@Johnny got a sliding spline made for his Vogue at Precision Balancing in Melbourne http://electricvogue.blogspot.com/searc ... -date=true
I think his motor was imbalanced and so was the tailshaft.
Sorry I should have piped up earlier. The motor was slightly off but my main problem is my 50 year old differential. Still driving on it though. Friends who have been in the car at speed say I'm being a bit over sensitive about it. Precision did a good job and we're most helpful. Given the length of the tailshaft perhaps I should have gone for a split shift.

T1 Terry
Senior Member
Posts: 721
Joined: Thu, 30 Sep 2010, 20:11
Real Name: Terry Covill
Location: Mannum SA

Re: Direct Drive Help

Post by T1 Terry » Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 11:33

Johny wrote:
Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 09:11
woody wrote:
Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 07:52
@Johnny got a sliding spline made for his Vogue at Precision Balancing in Melbourne http://electricvogue.blogspot.com/searc ... -date=true
I think his motor was imbalanced and so was the tailshaft.
Sorry I should have piped up earlier. The motor was slightly off but my main problem is my 50 year old differential. Still driving on it though. Friends who have been in the car at speed say I'm being a bit over sensitive about it. Precision did a good job and we're most helpful. Given the length of the tailshaft perhaps I should have gone for a split shift.
Back in the days of the Ford LTD and Landau (stretched body Fairlane and 2 door Fairmont) they suffered tail shaft vibration because of the long shaft and possibly because they weren't put together quite straight. The go was to put a hose clamp around the tail shaft, turn it to put the screw part in different positions as well as slide it up and down the length of the tail shaft till the problem was sorted to the point the owner either gave up or was satisfied :lol: Might be worth a try

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

User avatar
woody
Senior Member
Posts: 1707
Joined: Sat, 21 Jun 2008, 02:03
Real Name: Anthony Wood
Location: Mt Colah

Re: Direct Drive Help

Post by woody » Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 12:20

T1 Terry wrote:
Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 11:33

Back in the days of the Ford LTD and Landau (stretched body Fairlane and 2 door Fairmont) they suffered tail shaft vibration because of the long shaft and possibly because they weren't put together quite straight. The go was to put a hose clamp around the tail shaft, turn it to put the screw part in different positions as well as slide it up and down the length of the tail shaft till the problem was sorted to the point the owner either gave up or was satisfied :lol: Might be worth a try

T1 Terry
http://electricvogue.blogspot.com/2014/ ... ncing.html :D
Image
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

User avatar
Johny
Senior Member
Posts: 3702
Joined: Mon, 23 Jun 2008, 16:26
Real Name: John Wright
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: Direct Drive Help

Post by Johny » Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 14:53

woody wrote:
Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 12:20
T1 Terry wrote:
Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 11:33

Back in the days of the Ford LTD and Landau (stretched body Fairlane and 2 door Fairmont) they suffered tail shaft vibration because of the long shaft and possibly because they weren't put together quite straight. The go was to put a hose clamp around the tail shaft, turn it to put the screw part in different positions as well as slide it up and down the length of the tail shaft till the problem was sorted to the point the owner either gave up or was satisfied :lol: Might be worth a try

T1 Terry
...and it's still there 35k km later.

Post Reply