Cost to install 32A dedicated circuit

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
LouB
Noobie

Cost to install 32A dedicated circuit

Post by LouB » Sun, 09 Sep 2018, 08:10

I am currently getting quotes to install a dedicated 32A circuit for my Zappi EVSE.
Probably will require approx 20 M of 6mm (twin & earth TPS) cable and also some conduit because of metal house framing. I have priced a generous cable run, conduit, RCBO etc and can get the lot for under $200 AUD retail.

What do you think is a reasonable amt to pay an electrician?

That is: how much should I expect to pay, in total, for supplies, installation and required testing?

I don't think (or at least hope) that the switchboard will require upgrading.

Cheers
Lou

Bryce
Groupie

Re: Cost to install 32A dedicated circuit

Post by Bryce » Sun, 09 Sep 2018, 10:53

Hi Lou - unfortunately what you are asking for is 'how long is a piece of string'! It can range between $600 and $10,000 depending on if/how much upgrade work is needed to supply 32A.
If you want a detailed consumer oriented info article on the ins & outs of installing an EVSE at home - see ReNew magazine, edition 143 (Apr-Jun 2018).
That will help quantify the issue for you.
BTW: the safety switches for them are not standards ones (depending on the brand of EVSE). They can be more than $200 on their own. :-(

Cheers
Bryce
AEVA Vic Branch Secretary
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drives: 2011 Leaf, 2001 Berlingo conversion
Past drive: 2011 Blade Getz
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter

LouB
Noobie

Re: Cost to install 32A dedicated circuit

Post by LouB » Sun, 09 Sep 2018, 12:40

Thanks Bryce - Just what I was afraid of.

However, I had already read (and saved a copy) of the ReNew article. It's what made me believe that my switchboard might not need any drastic upgrade.
The Zappi EVSE (from myenergy.uk) should not require a special breaker as it comes with an integral 30mA RCD.

Perhaps I should have re-phrased my questions and asked: how much would a sparky charge, on average, for her/his labour and expertise. That is: leaving aside cost of components.

Once I receive some quotes I'll let the forum know what I'm up for.

Cheers
Lou