Voltronic InfiniSolar V series

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Fri, 01 Jul 2016, 00:17

The good folks at the South African Power Forum tell us that Voltronic Power, the manufacturers of the PIP-4048 (which is also branded as Axpert 5KVA and several others), have announced a new series of hybrid inverters, the InfiniSolar V series, with the same MPPT front end as the PIP-4048. There are existing models that take a high voltage string, and there is a 5 kW model in that range released a few months ago, but it seems to be expensive and there have been reports of fan errors.

There are several models in the V series; the nominal 48 V models come in 3 kW, 4 kW, and 5 kW models. (The PIP-4048 is specified as 5 kVA, 4 kW, so the highest power V series model has 25% more real power than the highest power PIP-4048.)

In the user's manual, I see many of the same settings as with the PIP-4048, but with additional settings for grid tie output. As far as I can tell, there is only one inverter in these machines, so if the grid fails, it seems to me that the loads would have to be interrupted for a fraction of a second while the grid relay drops out, the inverter recovers from attempting to drive the whole grid (it would presumably see a massive overload for a short time), reconfigures itself for stand-alone operation, and starts powering the loads again.

The main benefit of this type of inverter would appear to be using the grid to take any excess solar power; better 6c per kWh (or whatever you can get) than nothing at all. You could also support a large load (e.g. ducted air conditioner, electric oven) than what your inverter can handle, with whatever solar power you have at the time. For example: a 3 kW air conditioner plus 3 kW oven, total 6 kW and difficult to start, and you happen to have 4 kW of solar available. 4 kW of that load can come from the PV via the grid-tied inverter, and you are only charged for 2 kW. Depending on the time of day and your tariff details, your battery's SOC, and your preferences, it might even be worth supplying some of that 2 kW from batteries. With a PIP-4048, such heavy loads would probably connected directly to the grid, so you'd be paying 100% of those loads, even if the battery was full and plenty of solar power was available.

Whether such situations would come up often enough to justify such a machine remains to be seen, and I have not yet seen a price for the InfiniSolar V series.
Last edited by coulomb on Thu, 30 Jun 2016, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
Learning how to patch and repair PIP-4048 inverter-chargers and Elcon chargers.

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Fri, 01 Jul 2016, 16:13

Weber pointed out to me in email that these inverters are not approved for connection in Australia. So unless Giant Power (or someone else) goes through the approval process, this is likely to be of academic interest only to most of us.

I did notice one Giant Power hybrid model (rebranded Voltronic Power), so it's not impossible that this might happen in the future.

Thanks, Weber.
Learning how to patch and repair PIP-4048 inverter-chargers and Elcon chargers.

sklods
Noobie

Re: Voltronic InfiniSolar V series

Post by sklods » Fri, 05 Jan 2018, 17:43

I have 2 Voltronic InfiniSolar V series 4k inverters in parallel.
When it work in On Grid mode and feed energy to the Grid, does it take it from accumulators and PV panels?
If so how I can set parameters for feeding Grid only from Pv panels and not from accumulator?

Ibiza
Noobie

Re: Voltronic InfiniSolar V series

Post by Ibiza » Tue, 09 Jan 2018, 15:03

Hi @sklods , there is a South African Power forum with some members running InfiniSolar V who will be able to give you an advice how to program your inverters.