2010 i-MiEV plain key works

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Mon, 03 Nov 2014, 18:15

I just tried out the i-MiEV (2010) without the electronic remote key, as I was going rockclimbing at the river and expecting to get wet.

With my old car I would take a non-electronic key, and leave the electronic one that starts the car locked inside, but because of the keyless entry on the i-MiEV that would effectively leave the car unlocked.

I was a bit concerned that the physical key alone wouldn't start the car as it has an immobiliser fitted, but it was not a problem in practice. Haven't worked out why yet, possibly the immobiliser is only armed by the remote door lock.

I think the 2012 models work differently, but this might be handy to know for other 2010 owners who like to take their keys in the water occasionally.

carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 » Mon, 03 Nov 2014, 21:46

Yes, immobiliser arms with electric key.
There is a process to disarm it with the key, involves entering a PIN using the key by turning it on and off while counting dash light flashes or something like that.

mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Mon, 03 Nov 2014, 22:19

I've got the disarm procedure in the glove box, but happy I didn't need to use it,sounds like a real pain, though may be a bit quicker than my previous car immobiliser, where the disarm procedure was just to wait an hour.