PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
coulomb
Site Admin

Re: Bricked or not bricked...this is the question....

Post by coulomb » Wed, 27 Nov 2019, 06:37

McMajan wrote:
Tue, 26 Nov 2019, 22:32
So I removed the communication board and I've replace it with an Arduino UNO where I've removed the MCU (doing this you use Arduino as a basic USB to serial converter). So I conneted TX <->TX, RX <-> RX ang GND <->GND. In this way you are NOT ipto-isolated, but you can test if the problem is the communication board. And yes, it WORKED !!!!
That's wonderful to hear; well done!

[ Edit: I'm intrigued to note that the update happened at 12 blocks per second, some 20% faster than it usually happens. I wonder if that means that a normal update is usually slowed down by several retries. I'm also surprised by the crazy erase times, but that doesn't seem to be a real problem. ]

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE: I see that you have isolated the AC-in (no wires in the active or neutral positions). This is VERY IMPORTANT! It's my understanding that the digital "ground" is actually at lethal potential with respect to actual earth and your body when AC-in is connected to the mains/grid/utility.

So for anyone else wanting to try this: make sure that AC-in is disconnected, and PV-in as well. Only the battery should be powering the inverter. Even then, I'd use a laptop (not plugged in charging), and I'd prefer to use a wireless mouse when operating the non-isolated laptop. Carefully disconnect the non-isoated USB port as soon as the update is complete.

@McMajan, as a point of interest, how did you sniff the communications? I hope that you release any software that comes from this to the community.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

TYGUYS
Noobie

Re: PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

Post by TYGUYS » Wed, 27 Nov 2019, 16:00

Hi, big fan here,

Was intending to get a pip-5048ms thanks to the great development here however in light of weber and coulombs recent finding about the sine wave generation I'm reconsidering.
It seems the (64v) version is the only one i can find for sale. does any one have any ideas on how to obtain the 1:8 version? was intending to use it with some old lead acid batteries for now.

McMajan
Noobie

Post by McMajan » Thu, 28 Nov 2019, 00:41

I'm intrigued to note that the update happened at 12 blocks per second, some 20% faster than it usually happens. I wonder if that means that a normal update is usually slowed down by several retries. I'm also surprised by the crazy erase times, but that doesn't seem to be a real problem.
Warning to a little issue. When I flashed the firmware after about 20-30% of blocks I I ran out of the laptop battery :twisted: . After recharging it I triedagain and the reflashing procedure restarts from 20-30% of blocks (surprise for me). So the first step was very fast and then the mean speed decreased until the finish.

I see that you have isolated the AC-in
I do this because the inverter is connected to main breaker. If I put down it, I remove the energy to my home (I've a bypass system using another breaker that I use when inverter is not operative). So to remove current to the inverterr, I've isolated the cables (I don't like to put my hand near 230V when I remove the controller board :lol: ).

@McMajan, as a point of interest, how did you sniff the communications? I hope that you release any software that comes from this to the community.
I used AccessPort for windows (freeware), I've found it in this forum. As alternative you can use a digital oscilloscope but is a bit more complex. Another way is programming an Arduino using a UART port to directly connect PC to Inverter and a secondary port to send data where you want. The first option is the simplest but the software is a bit unstable (I've had some crashes). SURE, if I'll write the software I'll share with you, but before I need a bit of time to understand how the blocks are generated (they are not only part of hex file).

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Thu, 28 Nov 2019, 05:47

McMajan wrote:
Thu, 28 Nov 2019, 00:41
SURE, if I'll write the software I'll share with you, but before I need a bit of time to understand how the blocks are generated (they are not only part of hex file).
Excellent. PM me if you need some info from the bootstrap loader end (permanent part of the firmware that performs the reflashing).

coulomb
Site Admin

Re: PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

Post by coulomb » Tue, 03 Dec 2019, 08:17

I moved a post from @McMajan re a likely hardware problem preventing his inverter-charger from seeing the PV panels here. In my replay, I mention how the red and black wires running to the SCC are not battery connections.