PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
E85
Noobie

Re: PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

Post by E85 » Thu, 12 Sep 2019, 05:44

Thanks for the swift and helpful reply!
weber wrote:
Wed, 11 Sep 2019, 20:49
I recommend you use 14S if at all possible. Replacing the capacitors and MOSFETs is a terrible job, and even the replacements would last longer at the lower voltages.
Yes I totally understand, 14S4P is simple I would loose energy capacity off course but if I manage to make (14) 6P blocks then that will give me even 1,3x the capacity of a16S4P battery pack
weber wrote:
Wed, 11 Sep 2019, 20:49
I recommend you use the LFP version. You can read about the differences here:
http://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php ... 332#p64095
Although some of the numbers have changed since then, the main reason for the LFP version is LFP's very flat voltage-versus-SoC curve. LMO isn't mentioned, because I thought it was an obsolete chemistry, but it has a flat curve similar to LFP, although at a voltage about 16/14 times higher.
I see, I had missed that post, it all makes sense to me now.

I will only have to find a suitable windows PC for the flashing then…

Thanks again!

E85
Noobie

Modified PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS firmware with Dynamic Charge Current Control

Post by E85 » Thu, 12 Sep 2019, 18:12

The modified PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS firmware with the Dynamic Charge Current Control is perfect i my case because I would like to dynamically reduce the charging current when the 123smartBMS sees that a cell is reaching its max voltage.
Just to make sure that I understand the fail-safe function of the dynamic mode correctly, I would need to send a MNCHGC0### command at least once a minute (otherwise it will stop charging)?

coulomb
Site Admin

Re: Modified PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS firmware with Dynamic Charge Current Control

Post by coulomb » Thu, 12 Sep 2019, 20:12

E85 wrote:
Thu, 12 Sep 2019, 18:12
I would need to send a MNCHGC0### command at least once a minute (otherwise it will stop charging)?
Yes. It will behave as if an MNCHGC0500 command has been sent, setting the current limit to zero, except that the clock icon will appear next to the flashing dot. There will be no relay clicks or EEPROM wear associated with this. So if it happens during testing or the like, it's not a problem, charging will merely pause.

[ Edit: I had how the dot and clock icon would or would not flash all wrong. ]
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

Ibiza
Noobie

Post by Ibiza » Thu, 19 Sep 2019, 03:16

Hi gents
wonder if some one can help with an advice!
Can pip 4048ms charge 18650 li-ion batteries? I am building a power wall with 18650 cells.
thanks in advance.

Walde
Noobie

Post by Walde » Thu, 19 Sep 2019, 05:11

Ibiza wrote:
Thu, 19 Sep 2019, 03:16
Hi gents
wonder if some one can help with an advice!
Can pip 4048ms charge 18650 li-ion batteries? I am building a power wall with 18650 cells.
thanks in advance.
yes i have a powerwall 18650 setup 14S120P
IMG_20190819_173909.jpg
IMG_20190819_173909.jpg (3.13 MiB) Viewed 1051 times
IMG_20190406_123505.jpg
IMG_20190406_123505.jpg (3.09 MiB) Viewed 1051 times

Ibiza
Noobie

Post by Ibiza » Thu, 19 Sep 2019, 12:44

Hi Walde, thanks for your reply. I was thinking if PIP itself can charge 18650. I am trying to avoid spending more money. I need three PCM60Xs.
I have upgraded my inverters with Coloumb's and Weber's patched firmware.

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Thu, 19 Sep 2019, 13:08

Ibiza wrote:
Thu, 19 Sep 2019, 12:44
I was thinking if PIP itself can charge 18650.
Yes.

Ibiza
Noobie

Post by Ibiza » Thu, 19 Sep 2019, 15:42

coulomb wrote:
Thu, 19 Sep 2019, 13:08
Ibiza wrote:
Thu, 19 Sep 2019, 12:44
I was thinking if PIP itself can charge 18650.
Yes.
tnx :D

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber » Wed, 25 Sep 2019, 18:02

I have moved all posts about PIP repairs and hardware modifications, to the topic that was called
"PIP Inverter Error "error 09" bus soft start failed", which has now been renamed PIP inverter repairs and hardware modifications.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Tue, 01 Oct 2019, 11:33

Frequently Asked Questions

I'm hoping to be able to point readers to these answers to frequently asked questions, to hopefully save typing in the future.
  1. Q: Why am I getting low battery warnings? My lithium battery BMS says it's nearly full.
    A: These inverter-chargers were developed when lead-acid batteries were the norm. The terminal voltage of such batteries varies considerably with state of charge, and leaving the battery near empty is a really bad thing for this chemistry. Hence the low battery warning and alarm. Unfortunately, the manufacturer neglected to document what triggers and releases the low battery warning. With factory firmware, the low battery warning occurs at 2.0 V above the Low DC Cutoff voltage (setting 29). The low battery warning isn't released until the battery voltage rises to at least 4.0 V above the voltage in setting 29. Many LFP (LiFePO₄) batteries only have a range of about 4 volts from empty to full! That's why the LFP flavour of the patched firmware (but only the LFP flavour) changes these thresholds from 2.0 V to 0.5 V, and from 4.0 V to 1.0 V (so warning on at setting 29 plus 0.5 V, and warning off at setting 29 plus 1.0 V). Of course, not everyone chooses or even can use patched firmware, so the solution is to change setting 29 to be lower, say 2.0 V less than setting 12. That means you don't have as much protection against low battery voltage, but most LFP batteries have a Battery Management System that will protect against low cell voltage, and hence also low total battery voltage.
  2. Q: Why does my inverter switch from battery to utility (bypass) mode, when the battery voltage isn't near the Back to Utility voltage (setting 12)?
    A: There are three parts to this answer. The first part is that when a battery is determined to be weak (it is below the voltage of the Back to Utility setting, setting 12), OR the battery voltage falls to less than 2.0 V above setting 29 (and hence a low battery warning is issued; see the previous question), then the inverter-charger will switch from battery to line (bypass) mode. So make sure that setting 29 is at least 2.0 V lower than setting 12, otherwise setting 12 will be ignored. For similar reasons, ensure that setting 29 is at least 4.0 V lower than setting 13 (unless 13 is FUL). Otherwise, setting 13 will be ignored.
    Secondly, as soon as the inverter output reaches 110% (so 4.4 kW or 5.5 kW, depending on your model), even though your're allowed a 100% overload (i.e. 200% of rated power) for 5 seconds, the firmware will deem the load to be abnormal, and it will switch to utility if available.
    Finally, the factory firmware reacts to instantaneous battery voltage, without any compensation for the battery internal resistance. In other words, it ignores perfectly ordinary and somewhat predictable voltage sag under load. This will sometimes cause the inverter to switch to line mode earlier than you expect. Patched firmware with the KettleKomp™ feature does take internal resistance into consideration, compensating for the expected voltage sag. Hence, patched firmware will switch less often to line mode, although only if the load happens to stay under 110% of rated. As an added bonus, most patched firmware will switch to line mode for a minimum of only 2 minutes, compared to a minimum of 10 minutes for factory firmware.
  3. Q: Why can't I change setting 28 (AC output mode)?
    A: As it says in the Parallel Guide, "this setting is only available when the inverter is in standby mode (Switch off)". Well, it still takes effect when the switch is on, you just can't change it. But won't the inverter go off if I switch the power off? Maybe. If you have any charge source (PV or AC-in), then it actually won't switch off. But even if you have neither of these, you still have about 30 seconds before the inverter goes dark. So if necessary, navigate to setting 28, then turn off the switch, make the change to SnG (if you have only a single inverter, or to other values as required), press enter to confirm the change, and for good measure press ESC to exit LCD setting mode. You should have plenty of time to do this before the display goes dark and you can't complete the change. If you do miss out for whatever reason, just press the rocker switch back to ON and try again.
  4. Q: How do I get rid of the "HS" on my LC Display?
    A: This is telling you it's a parallel MaSter machine. Factory firmware shows "HS" instead of "MS" because their "M" looks even less like a real "M" than their "H", with their 7 segment mapping ("font"). If you have paralleled or three phase machines, this is normal (one will be master, and the others will be slaves showing "SL" in place of "HS or "MS"). But somehow, single machines seem to get stuck in with setting 28 (AC output mode) set to PAL (PAraraLlel mode). This isn't terribly serious, but it makes the inverter-charger do more work than necessary, so it's worth correcting, by changing setting 28 to SnG. See the previous question for use of the power switch when changing setting 28.

Prajna
Noobie

Post by Prajna » Wed, 02 Oct 2019, 04:04

Well I have to say, it's taken me several days to read all the posts on this thread but, man, it is packed with fabulous information. Hats off to Coulomb, Weber and the rest of you guys!

My first post on the forum. I came here looking for information on communicating with these and similar Voltronic Inverter/chargers since a friend bought one recently and I was disgusted at the WatchPower software and wanted to write something more useful.

So I have begun developing an app in node.js and electron ('coz I mostly do web development and like to write javascript). So far I have the general scaffolding there to execute protocol's query commands and many of the undocumented ones. The system is about 10km away and I don't have transport so testing is a bit slow and I was struggling initially to communicate with it at all. On my last visit I managed to get a (NAKss back from the device, so hopefully I'm getting somewhere.

For anyone interested, development is at http://github.com/prajna-pranab/converse

@coulomb , The modes listed below seem to be different to those in the QMOD query. Do you know what the other modes are and what codes they use for them?

Also the status bitfield (probably ascii bytefield) doesn't seem right. As I understand it the protocol uses ascii digits '0' and '1' to represent fields like this (as, for example in the QPIWS query). If that is so then your Status field description doesn't make a lot of sense to me. You seem to have two bit 7s and no bit 1 or 6. Can you clarify it for me please.
coulomb wrote:
Sun, 30 Dec 2018, 07:54
Inverter mode as pic 99 (e.g. battery mode = 03, line mode = 04, fault mode = 06)

Bit 2: load relay on
   Bit 3: inverter relay on
   Bit 7: AC input relay (N side) on
   Bit 5: battery mode
   Bit 7: Line mode
btw, I found a whole list of commands by decompiling WatchPower. I can post them if you don't have them already.

paulvk
Groupie

Post by paulvk » Wed, 02 Oct 2019, 07:19

Prajna have you the communication protocol PDF file , also if you have the internet at both places you can use the HLK RM04 to connect to the inverters.
I have ATMEL AVR here talking to my inverters showing what watch power does but on two LCD screens.
Regards Paul

Prajna
Noobie

Post by Prajna » Wed, 02 Oct 2019, 18:13

Hi Paul, sure I have a number of different versions of the protocol file. It's a bit like standards: there are so many to choose from and none are standard :) It seems much of the protocol is undocumented and the different versions are incompatible. For instance the MPPT-3000 Standard RS232 communication Protocol returns quite different information in response to a QPIWS query than earlier versions. Decompiling WatchPower it seems they do a lot of checking to see what the model of the device is and send different commands or interpret the responses differently depending on the model. I would have thought a close analysis of WatchPower, using something like http://www.decompiler.com/, would pay dividends in terms of identifying undocumented commands and discovering the different models and how they are identified by the software.

I will get round to setting up remote coms for the system but for now I'm just plugging into the inverter RS232.

Thanks for the reply.

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Wed, 02 Oct 2019, 18:49

Prajna wrote:
Wed, 02 Oct 2019, 04:04
My first post on the forum.
Welcome.
On my last visit I managed to get a (NAKss back from the device, so hopefully I'm getting somewhere.
Well, you have communications happening, to and from. But you might not be getting the CRCs correct, etc.
@coulomb , The modes listed below seem to be different to those in the QMOD query. Do you know what the other modes are and what codes they use for them?
This is the variable bPVMode. It values are
0 Power on mode. QMOD reports P.
2 Standby mode. QMOD reports S.
3 Battery mode. QMOD reports B.
4 Line mode (BYPASS displayed). QMOD reports L or S if main switch is off.
5 Bypass mode (like line mode, but the bus voltage is too high). QMOD reports L.
6 Fault mode. QMOD reports F.
7 Shutdown mode. QMOD reports D.
Also the status bitfield (probably ascii bytefield) doesn't seem right. As I understand it the protocol uses ascii digits '0' and '1' to represent fields like this (as, for example in the QPIWS query). If that is so then your Status field description doesn't make a lot of sense to me. You seem to have two bit 7s and no bit 1 or 6. Can you clarify it for me please.
Oops! Sorry, typo:
coulomb wrote:
Sun, 30 Dec 2018, 07:54
   Bit 2: load relay on
   Bit 3: inverter relay on
   Bit 7: AC input relay (N side) on
   Bit 5: battery mode
   Bit 6: Line mode
The last one should have read bit 6. Edited now.
btw, I found a whole list of commands by decompiling WatchPower. I can post them if you don't have them already.
I have a fairly complete idea of commands, thanks. I'd prefer that you didn't post a list of all that you know, because some of them are dangerous, and it's best if people didn't fiddle with them indiscriminately. I nearly published all I know at one point, and decided against it. Despite my usual support for open dialogue about these things.

Prajna
Noobie

Post by Prajna » Thu, 03 Oct 2019, 02:15

coulomb wrote:
Wed, 02 Oct 2019, 18:49
This is the variable bPVMode. It values are
0 Power on mode. QMOD reports P.
2 Standby mode. QMOD reports S.
3 Battery mode. QMOD reports B.
4 Line mode (BYPASS displayed). QMOD reports L or S if main switch is off.
5 Bypass mode (like line mode, but the bus voltage is too high). QMOD reports L.
6 Fault mode. QMOD reports F.
7 Shutdown mode. QMOD reports D.
That clarifies things, Coulomb, thank you.

Is status bit 1 reserved? bit 4?

Edited to add: coms, still difficult. I think the crc calculation is ok, I'll just have to figure out how to use nodejs.serialports correctly. I got better data back last time I visited than today. Best I managed today was a '(', not even a NAK. Oh well, onwards and stuff.

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Sat, 05 Oct 2019, 10:40

Prajna wrote:
As I understand it the protocol uses ascii digits '0' and '1' to represent fields like this (as, for example in the QPIWS query). If that is so then your Status field description doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Can you clarify it for me please.
Sorry, I forgot to address this part of your post. Those fields aren't intended to use the same conventions. I know that seems inconsistent and confusing, but I basically pasted the status field descriptions from my reverse engineering comments for that variable. I have reasons to maintain the usual bit numbering for that variable (e.g. bit 0 is the Least Significant Bit), since there are instructions that use that access that word and use that bit numbering.

Think of it this way: the status field comes from an actual word in memory; these are conventionally numbered 15 (MSB) to 0 (LSB). There are other command result fields that display as arbitrarily long strings of zeroes and ones, but don't come from one variable, so it's easier to number the bits more naturally for humans, starting from one at the left.

Prajna
Noobie

Post by Prajna » Sat, 05 Oct 2019, 17:02

Thanks for spotting that, Coulomb. I'm still confused about the status field though. You say it is in the format '999'. To me that suggests we can have 3 values (or flags) expressed as ascii 0s or 1s. So you are working from the raw word in the firmware (16 bits?) but how does that get packed into a 3 byte response?

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Sat, 05 Oct 2019, 22:03

Prajna wrote:
Sat, 05 Oct 2019, 17:02
how does that get packed into a 3 byte response?
As a decimal number. For example, 012 = 8 + 4 = 2³ + 2², so bits 3 and 2 are set (inverter and load relays are on respectively, everything else is off).
Or 012 = 0000 1100 in binary, again with bits 3 and 2 set.

Or as Weber emailed me; perhaps I should have taken his suggestion:

004: load relay on
008: inverter relay on
032: battery mode
064: Line mode
128: AC input relay (N side) on
Any of these may be added together

Prajna
Noobie

Post by Prajna » Sun, 06 Oct 2019, 02:49

Excellent. Thanks Coulomb. All clear now. QFLAG gave me a few problems too but I figured it out eventually by looking at the actual response from the system and rereading the protocol. Boy do they go strange and inconsistent ways of doing things!

Nietschy
Noobie

Post by Nietschy » Mon, 14 Oct 2019, 02:23

Prajna wrote:
Hello together!

First of all I love this forum and all the friendly people and information back and forth.

I got one of these devices and face a few problems.
I hope it is not too rude if I just jump in...

I own an PIP 5048GK
I have a cmd line interface with all CRC stuff already done, I can switch from battery to grid and change charging modes (LINE, Solar or nothing).

- But I can not change AC charging speeds, (or any charging speeds at all). I only get NAK or timeout. I guess the commands f.e. --MUCHGC<nnn><CRC><cr>-- I found are just wrong for my device!?)
-- I need to adjust AC charing to the output of my grid tied solar inverter to get the batteries full in one day.

- If the PIP switches to line mode after a 110% load event, it stays there forever until I completely turn it off and on again (and loose power to all devices in that time).
-- If it would be 10 minutes, it would be fine, but it never changes back. Even if the overload occurs in line mode in the morning, it will not change to SBU mode in the evening! :?

@ Prajna or @coulomb if you can supply me with commands for my PIP would be just perfect!
Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
André

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Mon, 14 Oct 2019, 08:08

Nietschy wrote:
Mon, 14 Oct 2019, 02:23
Hello together!
Welcome to the forum.
I own an PIP 5048GK
We have a separate topic for the GE/GK/MG models. But since this is a protocol issue, and the protocols are more or less uniform across the models, I'm happy to let this post stay in this topic.
I have a cmd line interface with all CRC stuff already done, I can switch from battery to grid and change charging modes (LINE, Solar or nothing).
Good.
- But I can not change AC charging speeds, (or any charging speeds at all). I only get NAK or timeout. I guess the commands f.e. --MUCHGC<nnn><CRC><cr>-- I found are just wrong for my device!?)
The PIP-5048GK does have the MUCHGC command, despite it being a "value line" model, and hence can't be paralleled. It does treat the number at offsets 6-8 as a three-digit number. (In models with paralleling ability, it's really two fields, m and nn, where m is the machine number (0-8), and nn is the two digit maximum utility charge current. [ Edit: despite what it says in some protocol manuals. ]) But the three digit number has to be one of the values in this set: {002, 010, 020, 030, 040, 050, 060}. Perhaps you are using in-between values?
-- I need to adjust AC charging to the output of my grid tied solar inverter to get the batteries full in one day.
Huh, an interesting set-up.
- If the PIP switches to line mode after a 110% load event, it stays there forever until I completely turn it off and on again (and loose power to all devices in that time).
-- If it would be 10 minutes, it would be fine, but it never changes back.
Switching back to battery mode is contingent on the battery voltage exceeding setting 13. Be aware of the effect of setting 29 (low DC cutoff voltage), as mentioned in FAQ question 2.

Nietschy
Noobie

Post by Nietschy » Mon, 14 Oct 2019, 14:46

coulomb wrote:
Mon, 14 Oct 2019, 08:08
Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the greetings
coulomb wrote:
We have a separate topic for the GE/GK/MG models. But since this is a protocol issue, and the protocols are more or less uniform across the models, I'm happy to let this post stay in this topic.
I appreciate for you letting this stay here!
I know that there is a GK thread, but there is not much going on, and since you talk here about protocols, I thought I may put it here.
coulomb wrote:
Perhaps you are using in-between values?
Switching back to battery mode is contingent on the battery voltage exceeding setting 13. Be aware of the effect of setting 29 (low DC cutoff voltage), as mentioned in FAQ question 2.
I tried this with multiple variations of the values, but with no luck.
I run the solution from ned-kelly https://github.com/ned-kelly/docker-vol ... eassistant (thank you for your work!)

Code: Select all

root@orgor:~# docker exec -it voltronic-mqtt /opt/inverter-cli/bin/inverter_poller -d -1 -r MUCHGC020
Mon Oct 14 06:23:43 2019 INVERTER: Debug set
Mon Oct 14 06:23:43 2019 INVERTER: Current CRC: F3 F1
Mon Oct 14 06:23:43 2019 INVERTER: cmd: MUCHGC020
Mon Oct 14 06:23:43 2019 INVERTER: buf2: MUCHGC020
Mon Oct 14 06:23:45 2019 INVERTER: MUCHGC020 reply size (7 bytes)
Mon Oct 14 06:23:45 2019 INVERTER: MUCHGC020: 7 bytes read: (NAK
Mon Oct 14 06:23:45 2019 INVERTER: MUCHGC020 query finished
Reply:  NAK
but as it seems, I am getting no where with it. I start to think that there is some error in the program with commands that are longer than 8 chars...
If you also say, that these commands are correct, I need to beef up some cpp wisdom of mine.

Also thank you for your help with the commands, since I am stuck with original firmware, I will see what parameters I can use while keeping the Pylontech protocol running.
I am running the Pylontech batteries that come with a serial interface to monitor the BMS and react accordingly. I thought this combination was a good fit, but since the reaction voltages you describe, are still for lead acid batteries, I start to question the integration level from MPP solar here...
Sadly many parameters (2, 26, 27, 29) are locked to certain values if you select PYL as battery type.

So I started by changing parameter 12 to 49V to get to the 2V difference you mentioned. I hope this gets me somewhere.

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Mon, 14 Oct 2019, 17:51

Nietschy wrote:
Mon, 14 Oct 2019, 14:46
If the PIP switches to line mode after a 110% load event, it stays there forever until I completely turn it off and on again
I just noticed that setting 13 has the note: "when selecting SBU priority or Solar first in program 01". Are you in either of these output source priorities?
[ Edit: oops. That's for an MS model; GKs could well be different. ]

Nietschy
Noobie

Post by Nietschy » Mon, 14 Oct 2019, 22:48

coulomb wrote:
Mon, 14 Oct 2019, 17:51
I just noticed that setting 13 has the note: "when selecting SBU priority or Solar first in program 01". Are you in either of these output source priorities?
Yes I do the following:

In the morning when the sun comes up and the other 7.2kW inverter starts delivering:
- I change program 01 to USB
-- so I use my "free" solar energy for the house
- I change program 16 to SNU
-- so the batteries get charged by my "free" utility energy

In the evening when the sun goes down:
- I change program 01 to SUB
-- so I use the battery energy
- I change program 16 to OSO
-- so charging stops

The change is done automatically by homeassistant with the integration by ned-kelly and a few mods by me.

I do not understand what you try to tell me. So I hope you can clarify based on my configuration.

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Tue, 15 Oct 2019, 11:16

Nietschy wrote:
Mon, 14 Oct 2019, 22:48
coulomb wrote:
Mon, 14 Oct 2019, 17:51
Oops! I just realised that I was using an MS manual, and the GKs are different. I had it in my head that only MKs (Kings) are very different with their double conversion, but in fact all the models with the high voltage SCCs behave differently. Sorry for the confusion.
Yes I do the following:

In the morning when the sun comes up and the other 7.2kW inverter starts delivering:
Oh! I didn't pay proper attention to your other grid-tied inverter. I had assumed that most of your panels would be connected to the PIP-5048GK. In fact, do you have any solar panels on the PIP-5048GK at all?
- I change program 01 to USB
-- so I use my "free" solar energy for the house
- I change program 16 to SNU
-- so the batteries get charged by my "free" utility energy
OK, an interesting setup. So it makes sense that during the day, the inverter essentially connects AC-in to AC-out. It's not clear to me whether the GK will blend any solar panel power that you might have with the mix of grid (hopefully little) and grid-tie solar power.
In the evening when the sun goes down:
- I change program 01 to SUB
-- so I use the battery energy
? But SUb prioritises Utility over battery. While there is utility available, the battery won't be used. I believe that you need SbU here. My understanding is that this inverter can't blend battery and utility power; it's one or the other. That's presumably why you can't get it out of line mode at night.