PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
weber
Site Admin

Re: PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

Post by weber » Sat, 03 Nov 2018, 11:16

paulvk wrote:
Sat, 03 Nov 2018, 10:27
Can units in parallel be shut down say one of a pair.
Yes indeed. :) As it says in the manual: "The zero in these commands can be changed to any digit from 0 to 8, being the number of the machine to which the command is addressed".

The MNCHGC<m>497 command is equivalent to turning off the switch at the bottom of inverter <m>, and the MNCHGC<m>498 command is equivalent to turning it back on again, with two qualifications:
1. The physical switch must be on.
2. An inverter will never power off completely, after the serial command, as it will when the physical switch is off and there is no incoming AC or PV.
What happens with paralleled units if the load goes up will the standbys come back on?
No. That would need to be done by external software. Such software could easily be created using the Node-Red visual programming tool running on a Raspberry Pi or Beaglebone-Black and communicating with any one of the inverters. @Monkeytom suggests setting the threshold for telling the next inverter to connect to the loads, at about 60% load (as reported by a QPIGS or QPGS<m> command), then leaving it for half an hour after the most recent drop below the same power level, before putting that inverter back in standby mode.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).

erland82
Noobie

Post by erland82 » Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 00:25

Hello
I have been looking at the PIPs for my off grid cabin.

Remote monitoring is a must, it can be months between visits. I have a 4g router with wifi and 4 rj45 ports.

I wonder if the Operating/Storage Temp on the Pip is going to be a problem.

We often get -20c in the winter, maybe even colder at times.

I thought of building an isolated box with temp regulated fans and silicone conformal coat the PCBs.

This is my system atm.

[ Edited Coulomb: fixed image, removed <br/>]
Tesla Mmodel X100D 2017
Nissan Qashqai+2 4wd 2013
Mazda 323 GTX 4wd 1990
Peugeot 205 1,9 Gti 1988 (restoration not complete)

paulvk
Groupie

Post by paulvk » Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 05:56

Hello erland82
Remote monitoring is easy to do by using a RS232 to TCPIP HLK RM04 module
no programming knowledge required they are ready built just need a box and 5volts
I use them for my two systems that are 250Km apart so I can monitor both
from either location , settings can also be changed.
Would the temperature get that low where the units would be
they should be installed in fully protected area with good ventilation
they are not sealed against the environment
Batteries have problems at that low temperature.

Looking at your diagram the ML4860 has RS232 the HLK RM-04 has two ports for RS232
so you can monitor both with it.
If you get a HLK RM-04 now you can remotely monitor/control the ML4860 now
Also the HLK RM-04s can connect unit to unit creating RS232 > TCPIP -------- TCPIP > RS232 link

They are also have a wifi access point and router built in.

erland82
Noobie

Post by erland82 » Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 23:13

Hello Paul
Thanks for your reply.

My batteries are in an isolated concrete box dug a 1 meter down into the ground.
It has a stable temp, usually 15c-10c in the summer, never under -5c in the winter. (Best i can do)

I am going use my ML 4860 and a Reliable Electric 3000w inverter as a backup system.

Is there any conformal coating on the PIPs PCBs?
I am concerned about condensation if the temp is to low.

Can I start and stop the Pip inverting 230v remotely? And still charge the batteries?
If I can, i will hook up a small heater and preheat the main cabin before arrival winter time.
Tesla Mmodel X100D 2017
Mazda 323 GTX 4wd 1990

Rick54
Noobie

Post by Rick54 » Tue, 06 Nov 2018, 04:48

Good morning,

i just did the update with the 73d Firmware.
Everything is working well with the inverter but it seems that the remote display is still displaying the old menu (i.e. : no 38 option or old names displayed ...) but the inverter (in my cave...) is displaying the good menu and aussieview.

Did i do something wrong ? Do i need to reflash the inverter ?

I think as well that my WatchPower software is too old compare to the new software(Ver1.10.sp2). Is there a place to find an earlier one ?

Regards

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber » Tue, 06 Nov 2018, 05:19

Rick54 wrote:
Tue, 06 Nov 2018, 04:48
Good morning,

i just did the update with the 73d Firmware.
Hi Rick54. Thank you for testing the beta version.
Everything is working well with the inverter but it seems that the remote display is still displaying the old menu (i.e. : no 38 option or old names ...) but the inverter (in my cave...) is displaying the good menu and view.

Did i do something wrong ? Do i need to refresh the inverter ?
No. You did nothing wrong, and don't need to refresh the inverter. Unfortunately, this is totally expected. The remote display, like the WatchPower software, merely sends serial commands (such as QPIGS and QPIRI) to the inverter, to obtain the values it displays. It has its own firmware that determines how it displays this information, which we are unable to change.
I think as well that my WatchPower software is too old compare to the new software(Ver1.10.sp2). Is there a place to find an earlier one ?
See http://www.mppsolar.com/manual/Watchpow ... er%201.13/
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).

paulvk
Groupie

Post by paulvk » Tue, 06 Nov 2018, 16:07

Hello erland82
You could turn the inverter on/off with switch when you get there but the MPPT stops as well
Best would be to keep your 4860 MPPT working.
For heating before you get there why not use a 48V heater it can easily made
A length of zinc coated steel wire wound into a long spring like coil
With the HLK RM-04 and an Arduino a simple remote control system can be built using the RS232
Also will you be using the 230V version?

Rick54
Noobie

Post by Rick54 » Tue, 06 Nov 2018, 21:56

Hello Coulomb,

Thank you for your answer. So i will play with that old menu.
I tried the software from your link and it broke the link with the com port to the inverter (had to hard relaunch the remote display to be linked with the inverter)
I tried the new menu and it's very good. I noticed that there is 3 options now in the menu 4 "Power Saving" : Sds / SEn and "nor" : after the update my inverter was on nor and i changed it back to Sds(was the setting prior update). What is "nor" used for ? I didn't see it in the Manual or in the AussieView manual.
I will take you a picture if needed.

Regards

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber » Wed, 07 Nov 2018, 06:27

Rick54 wrote:
Tue, 06 Nov 2018, 21:56
I tried the new menu and it's very good. I noticed that there is 3 options now in the menu 4 "Power Saving" : Sds / SEn and "nor" : after the update my inverter was on nor and i changed it back to Sds(was the setting prior update). What is "nor" used for ? I didn't see it in the Manual or in the AussieView manual.
I will take you a picture if needed.
Thanks for pointing that out. I have just uploaded a new version of the AussieView manual to correct that oversight, with the following:

SAv [04] nor    Power saving mode  Normal (AC on, DC-DC on, 50 W no load)
         SdS                       Saving disabled (AC on, DC-DC 33% when low load, 46 W no load)
         SEn    (when PAr = SnG)   Saving enabled (AC off when low load, 2 W no load)

"nor" is present in the unpatched (i.e. manufacturer's) 73.00 firmware, but is not mentioned in the manufacturer's manual. The above information is based on painstaking investigation by Coulomb. Neither Coulomb nor I can see any point in having the "nor" option, except that maybe turning on a very heavy load might make the AC voltage sag less, and hence lights flicker less. We haven't tested this.

6mdx
Groupie

Post by 6mdx » Wed, 07 Nov 2018, 06:40

My 5048 pwm scc board has finaly turned up. No instruction or guidance.
Just aswell i am used to doing these electronic things.
Any way its installed and i will connect it up to test later.
Heres hoping they got it right.

On another note I noticed that the battery leads that are inside the case were corroded, this inverter was made 6/2017, installed 1/2018. Operating for 7 months, waiting for scc for 3 months..

This is installed in a lock up garage, so how long are they going to last?

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber » Wed, 07 Nov 2018, 07:12

erland82 wrote:
Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 23:13
Is there any conformal coating on the PIPs PCBs?
I am concerned about condensation if the temp is to low.
Yes, there is conformal coating on the PIP PCBs.
Can I start and stop the Pip inverting 230v remotely? And still charge the batteries?
If I can, i will hook up a small heater and preheat the main cabin before arrival winter time.
Yes, with Coulomb's and my latest patched firmware, you can stop the PIP inverting remotely, and it will still charge the batteries. See the section on "Dynamic Load Control" in this manual.
paulvk wrote:
Tue, 06 Nov 2018, 16:07
Hello erland82
You could turn the inverter on/off with switch when you get there but the MPPT stops as well
Paul, I have tested recent PIPs and I find they will still charge the battery from either solar or AC, even when the switch at the bottom of the inverter is turned off. This switch is purely a load switch. Sure, if there is no AC or solar available, it will shut down completely, but it will wake up again the next morning when the sun comes up, to charge the battery.

Monkeytom
Groupie

Post by Monkeytom » Wed, 07 Nov 2018, 13:28

paulvk wrote:
Tue, 06 Nov 2018, 16:07
Hello erland82
Paul are you sure about that? With My pair of PIP4048HS i switch the second inverter off every day and the solar side works seperate to the AC inverter side, Same with the Pip3024HS i have in the Caravan the solar wakes up with sun and shuts down at dusk with the AC switched Off.
2 x PIP4048HS
15S2Px3 45x90Ah TS and
45x100Ah CALB
With 6Kw Solar Offgrid
6x175W BP 1Kw Si Offgrid
28x60W Thin film Offgrid
18x185W 2Kw Si Offgrid
72x82W gridtied CMS2000 2kw north,2Kw East,2Kw west.

erland82
Noobie

Post by erland82 » Thu, 08 Nov 2018, 05:12

Tanks for answers guys!

Iv mailed with mppsolar and i am going to order the new PIP-MK SERIES 5048MK.
They will hit the stores in desember.
Hope it fits in my backpack, otherwise i have to borrow a snowmobile. Winter is coming!

I also have an HLK-RM04 in the mail, that will be a fun project.
Tesla Mmodel X100D 2017
Mazda 323 GTX 4wd 1990

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber » Thu, 08 Nov 2018, 08:13

erland82 wrote:
Thu, 08 Nov 2018, 05:12
Iv mailed with mppsolar and i am going to order the new PIP-MK SERIES 5048MK.
In case you were planning to rely on any of the features of our patched firmware, such as the ability to remotely disconnect and reconnect the loads, I note that this patched firmware is not available for the PIP-5048MK. But it is available for the PIP-5048MS (with 64 V option).

6mdx
Groupie

Post by 6mdx » Sat, 10 Nov 2018, 14:53

6mdx wrote:
Wed, 07 Nov 2018, 06:40
My 5048 pwm scc board has finaly turned up. No instruction or guidance.
Just aswell i am used to doing these electronic things.
Any way its installed and i will connect it up to test later.
Heres hoping they got it right.
Well no compllaint, easy install worked fine. One thing that I noticed was pwm on 2s 60 cell was putting out about 40 amps. The mppt inverter was only doing about 25 amps on the same 3kw panels. 2s is not enough, and, even worse when it was near 40 C here this week.
So next task is to reconfigure to 3s.

Rick54
Noobie

Post by Rick54 » Sat, 10 Nov 2018, 23:34

Hello ,

After one week of try of the last 73 version i found no issue.
Thank you very much for your work.

I'm located on the other side of the earth for you all (Europe). You are always talking about a lot of watts resulting from your panels and i m a bit jealous. I wish i could have more sun there.

As a matter of fact, what software do you use to manage your system and to adapt it depending of the sun / the amps request / temperature / ... ?

For my part i use Lucibus (https://www.lucibus.com/web/en/) I found this link from an old one at page 1 of this post.
This software can adapt the setting of the inverter in accordance with batterie level to avoid to stress too much the batteries and have them died after 2 years.
You can have SonOff systems working with it and set an load shedding if voltage drop below your desired value.
You can have an automatic switch to the grid if you are using for example 25 amps for more than 45seconds. (it is always cheaper to have paid for 2 minutes of grid instead of 6 batteries)
You can link to a bmv702.
Fottosetore (the guy that made it) add as well an Android or iPhone App to monitor the system and send you email if something is happening to your system.
You have web acces to your graph and sum up of the weekly or monthly production, discharge ... and have a weather correspondance in case of you have no energy production you can know if it is due to the weather or other issue
http://www.lucibus.com/lucicloud/tuttigrafici.php (you can try inverter 2 or 10 for example)(it is corresponding to one guy production)
I put screen shot of my system (set for winter ...) At least you can have a rough idea of what you can set (i know it is in French but it can be set to english as well)
The last thing, Fotosettore did a cube thing : https://www.lucibus.com/cubus to monitor in your house what your inverters are doing.

I search a long time on the net for many software and i only found this one with all those options.
If you have other suggestions for software i will take it.

Regards.

https://i48.servimg.com/u/f48/19/90/39/98/unname13.png
https://i48.servimg.com/u/f48/19/90/39/98/unname11.png
https://i48.servimg.com/u/f48/19/90/39/98/unname10.png
https://i48.servimg.com/u/f48/19/90/39/98/unname12.png

aranurea
Noobie

Post by aranurea » Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 05:47

HI everyone, I'm new here. I have a EASunPower Inverter which is listed as an 812LV-MS model. It is low voltage at 120/110 V and has only a USB port. What information here is relevant to my inverter? I want to control it using a raspberry pi, but can't figure out what info is relevant to me. What do I do to communicate with this inverter? Thank you.

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 13:52

aranurea wrote:
Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 05:47
What do I do to communicate with this inverter?
812LV-MS is a part number for a MPPSolar branded inverter manufactured by Voltronic Power. I'll assume that your inverter is a genuine but rebadged Voltronic Power model, and not a knock-off / clone.

WatchPower control software (it probably came with your inverter) presumably knows how to talk to your inverter over the USB port. My understanding is that it's not as simple as talking to it via a virtual serial port, as I would have expected. For whatever reason, the way to talk to it isn't documented, and those few that have figured it out don't seem to want to share how it's done.

WatchPower is a Java program, so it can be disassembled pretty well, if you have the patience. Presumably, buried in there must be the secret to how it's done. Then you'll need to adapt those techniques to a Raspberry Pi.

Once you have figured out how to talk to it, you just need to know the commands to send it, and the responses to expect. See the 5 kVA 230 V model protocol manuals for details. I expect that most of the main commands would be supported by the low voltage models.

Good luck. Please post details if you figure out the connection details. I wish that the news was better.

[ Edit: reworded protocol manual sentence. ]
[ Edit: MPPSolar -> MPPSolar branded ]
Learning how to patch and repair PIP-4048 inverter-chargers and Elcon chargers.

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber » Thu, 15 Nov 2018, 16:35

coulomb wrote:
Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 13:52
For whatever reason, the way to talk to it isn't documented, and those few that have figured it out don't seem to want to share how it's done.
I went searching and found one person who figured out how to communicate with Voltronic Power inverters on their USB port, from Linux, who did share how it's done. Kudos to user "Gnome" on the South African Power Forum. https://powerforum.co.za/topic/984-axpe ... ment-18790
Once you have figured out how to talk to it, you just need to know the commands to send it, and the responses to expect. See the 5 kVA 230 V model protocol manuals for details. I expect that most of the main commands would be supported by the low voltage models.
@aranurea, You'll find links to those protocol manuals here: viewtopic.php?t=4332

Andreixda
Noobie

Post by Andreixda » Sat, 17 Nov 2018, 03:15

Hi Guys, i need your help. I have 3 inverters 5KVA-48-PAR A with only one MPPT each (i think similar with Axpert MKS 5K) in three phase configuratin.A very long time ago i did an upgrade with your firmware Pb1 72.70b ( for lead acid) and until now worked perfect. Today I bought 3 new batteries to replace my 16 lead batteries. This batteries are Pylontech US2000 Plus (and is written on the box lithium ion battery).What should i do ? What firmware to use and what setting i should put in Watchpower because in the batt instructions is written charge voltage between 52.5-54V max current 25 per batt, because i saw on the net instructions just to level absorb and float level to 53.2V and that is all ( not to say that the book is almost useless . Please help me to do this setup.

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Sat, 17 Nov 2018, 07:29

Andreixda wrote:
Sat, 17 Nov 2018, 03:15
What firmware to use and what setting i should put in Watchpower because in the batt instructions is written charge voltage between 52.5-54V max current 25 per batt, because i saw on the net instructions just to level absorb and float level to 53.2V and that is all...
Use the settings in this Power Forum post as a guide; they seem to use a lot of Pylontechs there:
https://powerforum.co.za/topic/2249-axp ... eshooting/

Ideally, you would use 25 A for maximum charge current (setting 2) for your 3 inverters, assuming that each one has equal PV connected. But the nearest choices are 20 and 30 A. You could use 20A on 2 and 30 A on whichever inverter (if any) has the best solar. That totals 70 A, which is under the 3x25=75 A limit.
I would set float (setting 27) at 50.3 V. It's not a good idea to leave the battery at a high voltage all afternoon. It only makes a very slight difference to SOC to do this.
I would also consider reducing the absorb (CV) voltage (setting 26) to something closer to 52.5 V [ Edit: was 51.8 V ]. Again, there is little SOC difference to using 53.2 V, and it's a little kinder on the cells. But maybe they need a higher voltage for bypassing.

I prefer not to use much grid charging, so I'd use 50 V for the return to battery voltage (setting 13).

You need to use the lithium ferrous phosphate (LFP) variant of the latest patched firmware for PF0.8 machines. You will find a link to that in the Firmware section of the index page. At present that's either release version LF1_73.00c or beta version BF1_73.00d.

[ Edit: From the specifications, the minimum recommended charge voltage is 52.5 V. Presumably, this is needed for bypassing / equalising the cells. ]
[ Edit: Better description of the appropriate firmware, with link. ]
Learning how to patch and repair PIP-4048 inverter-chargers and Elcon chargers.

Andreixda
Noobie

Post by Andreixda » Sat, 17 Nov 2018, 12:39

Thank you ! in this morning (because is morning in Romania) i will start the setup and we will see how il works.

rezydent
Noobie

Post by rezydent » Sun, 18 Nov 2018, 20:09

weber wrote:
Wed, 10 Oct 2018, 16:38
Release Version of Patched Firmware 72.20c for PF1 models with the 64V option
Note: This firmware is only suitable for the 48 V models with 5kW/5kVA (PF1) and the 64 V maximum battery voltage option. It is not suitable for the older models with a PF0.8 rating (4 kW/5 kVA), nor is it suitable for the newer PF1 models if they don't have the optional 64 V hardware.
I have a question. If, in my PIP4048, I would replace transistors, withstand higher voltage, and load software that would allow up to 66V, everything would work properly? if I understand correctly, I could raise the charging voltage to 66V
Which transistors should I replace?

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 08:05

rezydent wrote:
Sun, 18 Nov 2018, 20:09
I have a question. If, in my PIP4048, I would replace transistors, withstand higher voltage, and load software that would allow up to 66V, everything would work properly? if I understand correctly, I could raise the charging voltage to 66V
Unfortunately no. For starters, you would need to upgrade DC bus capacitors as well as transistors, on both the battery bus and the 400 V inverter bus. And it is possible that, in the models that are designed to operate up to 64 V, the high-frequency transformer has a lower turns ratio (say 7.5:1 instead of 8:1). Also, there may be a different voltage-divider ratio used to sense the battery voltage. Also, the bootstrap loader and reflash software are designed to not allow 64 V firmware to be loaded into non-64 V machines.
Which transistors should I replace?
You can see this post:
viewtopic.php?title=pip4048ms-inverter& ... 332#p64358
But I note that it is simply aimed at improving the robustness of the 58.4 V models, not upgrading them to 64 V.

erland82
Noobie

Post by erland82 » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 08:24

After reading a lot, I've changed the plan .... What do you think?

Solar tracking will be off when i am not present.
The primary usage for the 230v ac is the incinerating toilet, refrigerator, oven fan and the oven exhaust fan.
I want to expand my system to be able to pre heat the cottage, when i can afford more batteries.
Last edited by erland82 on Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
Tesla Mmodel X100D 2017
Mazda 323 GTX 4wd 1990