Links to individual posts not working

Admin Requests, General Enquiries and Forum Issues
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

It seems that links into individual posts within a thread (and maybe even links to threads) do not work any more. e.g. try this which should take you to a post on the MX-5 flywheel design.
viewtopic.php?t=980&p=25795#p25795
The server seems to ignore all the stuff between ? and # and map them all down to something silly that always takes you to the aeva forum home page.

Please fix soon.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

This is the version of the link above that seems to work now:

viewtopic.php?t=980&p=25795#p25795

So the changes seem to be two:

1) Change www.aeva... to forums.aeva...
2) Chop out the /forums

I suppose I could merge these two into one change:

replace www.aeva.asn.au/forums/ with forums.aeva.asn.au/

I can do a block change on my index page, but that won't fix other links sprinked throughout our build post and other forums. I doubt that many other authors would have the inclination to edit their posts, either.

So
1) Is it possible to arrange for the old links to still work? Maybe you can tell the software that www.aeva.asn.au/forums is an alias of (or shortcut or link to) forums.aeva.asn.au?

Failing that,
2) Is it possible to perform some sort of bulk edit over all posts so that all the links will be in the new format? This would obviously have to be some sort of totally automatic thing; hand editing would be impractical.

Thanks in advance for any solutions to this.

I note that even google searches aren't working, due to this change (or at least they weren't a couple of days ago).
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

coulomb wrote: 1) Is it possible to arrange for the old links to still work? Maybe you can tell the software that www.aeva.asn.au/forums is an alias of (or shortcut or link to) forums.aeva.asn.au?

But surely "forums.aeva.asn.au" is already just an alias for "aeva.asn.au/forums" or "www.aeva.asn.au/forums".
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).

antiscab

Post by antiscab »

ah yes,
this is because the new AEVA website went live, and replaced the old one.
The new website is on a different server,
for the moment all links that go to the aeva.asn.au/forums webpage get redirected to the present homepage.

I'm not sure how to fix it, so the links go to the right thread on the new page, though Andrew may be able to shed some light on the situation.

Matt
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

Andrew
Groupie

Post by Andrew »

Hi everyone,

When the new AEVA website went live I made some changes to the AEVA domain system, partly to do with load balancing.

Anyway, the simplest way is to replace "www" with "forums" in the link if you are referring to an old notification email which was sent before the domain was changed. Emails sent in the last week or so, since the upgrade took place, will have "forums.aeva....etc".

I can stand by this, because the notification emails I received for this thread have included the correct address.

Hope this helps...

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

Andrew wrote: Hi everyone,

When the new AEVA website went live I made some changes to the AEVA domain system, partly to do with load balancing.
And completely failed to understand the consequences, it would seem.
Anyway, the simplest way is to replace "www" with "forums" in the link if you are referring to an old notification email which was sent before the domain was changed. Emails sent in the last week or so, since the upgrade took place, will have "forums.aeva....etc".
You have got to be joking. Old notification emails are the least of our worries. I have heaps of posts that refer to other posts by link. It would take me days to edit every one. And then I'd have to find every post that linked to one of mine and contact the person to ask them pretty please to edit their links.

I'm sure others are in the same boat.
I can stand by this, because the notification emails I received for this thread have included the correct address.

Care to put money on it? Coulomb gave the correct translation a few posts back in this thread -- here (old style link, try your recipe on it) viewtopic.php?p=32404&t=2553#p32404

Surely it's a simple matter to have the www.aeva.asn.au server automatically redirect links of the form
http://www.aeva.asn.au/forums/*
to
http://forums.aeva.asn.au/*

That would really help.

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

Sorry Andrew,

I'm a complete bastard. After I calmed down I realised you're just a volunteer doing your best, like the rest of us. Please forgive me.

But surely this is a standard thing for a web server to have to do -- redirect old URLs.

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

This looks like a useful tutorial on redirection.http://www.trainsignaltraining.com/wind ... edirection

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Um, all the links in posts seem to have been magically transformed from www.aeva.asn.au/forums/ to forums.aeva.asn.au/, but they still don't work, because of the /forums part.

Also, the links to past posts are all "Direct Link To This Post" (a constant string, not a pretty icon with a link that can be used. So now, we can't point new posts to old ones.

I don't want to criticise; maybe the transformation isn't complete, or maybe there are limitations with the current software that make it impractical. It's just that in case you think that the job is done, I'd like to point out that it's not.

It seems to me that whatever magic was used to change www.blah to forums.blah could be used to change blah/forums/ to blah/, then it's a lot better.

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

coulomb wrote: Um, all the links in posts seem to have been magically transformed from www.aeva.asn.au/forums/ to forums.aeva.asn.au/,...

Oh. It seems that someone has kindly edited our index page, but not all posts, e.g. Geerant's index page here: viewtopic.php?t=2300.

I mean, if we're giving up on redirection, that's fine; I'm happy enough to edit my posts, and perhaps some others will be kind enough to do the same. It's just that redirection would seem to be an easy way to fix all posts without any editing.

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

coulomb wrote: Also, the links to past posts are all "Direct Link To This Post" (a constant string, not a pretty icon with a link that can be used. So now, we can't point new posts to old ones.

Oops again. I was fooled by the colour of the text; in fact, it is hypertext to the correct link to the post. So that part is fine; we've just lost the pretty icon, which is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

The Google cache has a mixture of old and new links. It seems that the Google spider spends most of its time on actively changed threads, which is reasonable; these have updated links in the cache. I assume that the spider will eventually (in a week or two) get around to updating all the links.

BTW, the edit option is missing from my posts on this topic; this seems to happen intermittently. Otherwise, I would have edited what is now the third last post.

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

coulomb wrote: Um, all the links in posts seem to have been magically transformed from www.aeva.asn.au/forums/ to forums.aeva.asn.au/, but they still don't work, because of the /forums part.
If this magical transformation had taken place, as you describe it above, there wouldn't be any "/forums" part, and the links would work.
I don't see that at all. All I see is that the links in our index post have been changed from absolute to relative by deleting the
"http://www.aeva.asn.au" part. If the mysterious editor of this post had instead deleted all of
"http://www.aeva.asn.au/forums"
it would have worked.

It seems that's why uploaded images still work. Because their links are relative (and correct).

But why not just do the redirection? Changing the links to relative (or any ether editing solution) fixes links internal to the aeva site, but it doesn't fix links from the outside world, or in emails, not just old notification emails from aeva (I don't even keep them), but emails I've sent to many people over the years and who may have incorporated these links into their own websites. All needlessly broken.
Also, the links to past posts are all "Direct Link To This Post" (a constant string, not a pretty icon with a link that can be used. So now, we can't point new posts to old ones.

I see the blue bullet as usual.

C'mon Matt and Andrew. You can do it. Just tell the www.aeva.asn.au server to permanently redirect
http://www.aeva.asn.au/forums/$1
to
$1

I'm sounding like a stuck record. How about a bit of feedback as to what is going on?

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

weber wrote:If this magical transformation had taken place, as you describe it above, there wouldn't be any "/forums" part, and the links would work.

Ah, I know what's going on. I have a silly habit of deleting the www.aeva.asn.au part of links, making them relative. Other posters, such as Geerant, are more sensible, and don't do this editing. So probably no-one has edited the index page; it's changed because the links happen to be relative and the address of the pages themselves has changed.

Sorry for the mis-information.

woody

Post by woody »

The twitter feeds seem to have been messed up by this too. I follow the NSW twitter but it seems to be passing on all the posts in all the forums...
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

coulomb wrote: Also, the links to past posts are all "Direct Link To This Post" (a constant string, not a pretty icon with a link that can be used.

The icons have gradually recovered, and the pages are back to their normal selves, icon wise.

Maybe it was some issue with Firefox caching frequently used objects like the icons. Weber says he always had the icons working, and he also uses Firefox. It could be that his copy of Firefox had a different set of objects in the cache.

Andrew
Groupie

Post by Andrew »

OK good new people! I believe I have fixed the link/address problem. The old redirect only forwarded to the forums default page, but now it forwards to the individual post, including filename and query string etc (at least that is what my intentions are).

I have confirmed that viewtopic.php?t=2553 forwards correctly to viewtopic.php?t=2553

Also, http://forums.aeva.asn.au is the same as forums . The "www" address will forward to /forums as it was originially.

Andrew
Groupie

Post by Andrew »

Twitter feeds should be forwarded successfully through the "www" address, otherwise replace "www" with "forums" and the rest of the link remains identical. The server has been broadcasting the "forums.aeva" link.

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

Andrew wrote: OK good news people! I believe I have fixed the link/address problem. The old redirect only forwarded to the forums default page, but now it forwards to the individual post, including filename and query string etc (at least that is what my intentions are).
Yes! Image Works for me! Image Good work Andrew! Image

woody

Post by woody »

Andrew wrote: Twitter feeds should be forwarded successfully through the "www" address, otherwise replace "www" with "forums" and the rest of the link remains identical. The server has been broadcasting the "forums.aeva" link.
The content/links in the tweets in the twitter feed are fine.

It the number of tweets - e.g. AEVA_Sydney used to be just the posts from the Aeva Branches/AEVA Sydney Branch forum, but now it's all the posts.

I.E. AEVA_Sydney on Twitter
should match
AEVA Sydney Branch Forum

cheers,
Woody
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

I just realised that images in notification emails are broken (and always have been) for exactly the reason that images online were not affected by the recent change of domain name. Namely because they are relative links rather than absolute.

Now that the redirection is working, is there any change of making image links absolute, so we get to see them in notification emails?