Sydney Lurkers

For New South Wales Members of the AEVA
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
Mark T
Groupie

Sydney Lurkers

Post by Mark T » Tue, 11 Mar 2008, 13:47

There seems to a lack of enthusiasm over here on the east coast.
Or maybe they're just shy!!
Last edited by Mark T on Tue, 11 Mar 2008, 03:23, edited 1 time in total.

mattW
Groupie

Sydney Lurkers

Post by mattW » Thu, 03 Apr 2008, 22:59

I'm from Sydney, I've can't afford to do a conversion atm because I'm still studying but I'm turning all my pent up EV energy into tonnes of research(most of it ends up here). I came to one AEVA meeting last year and the field day but I keep missing them this year... I'd be more than happy to lend a pair of hands if anyone needs help with their conversion.

jondoig
Noobie

Sydney Lurkers

Post by jondoig » Fri, 04 Apr 2008, 18:00

Hi

Just found you after surfing from the Tesla Roadster through to an intriguing comment here about DIY electric conversions for a few thousand bucks.

We have a 1991 Subaru (~13 l/100km Image ) that's due for replacement... is it remotely possible to replace it with an EV for under $15k? I'm thinking an 80km range would just mean we'd have to hire something else for longer trips.

Maybe I could attend a field day somewhere in SE Sydney?? We (Sutherland Climate Action Network) could help advertise it locally.

Note: I'm a million miles from being a DIY auto mechanic!

Jonathan

Mark T
Groupie

Sydney Lurkers

Post by Mark T » Fri, 04 Apr 2008, 18:49

Hi Matt and Jonathan
Great to hear from some new EV enthusiasts in Sydney.
Our next Field Day is in October but why not come up to a branch meeting they sometimes turn into mini displays.
If you're Action Network has a Field Day don't forget to include some EVs.

jondoig
Noobie

Sydney Lurkers

Post by jondoig » Fri, 04 Apr 2008, 19:10

Thanks Mark.

I just had a chat with Nathan at Convert UR Car and it sounds like an EV is beyond our budget, but as he's only over in Pagewood I'll keep him in mind next time we're involved in a sustainability fair or similar.

Cheers
Jonathan

Freetime
Noobie

Sydney Lurkers

Post by Freetime » Sun, 27 Apr 2008, 02:07

Hi, Just introducing myself. I am from the Central Coast 30 min north of Hornsby. I have joined the Sydney branch and look forward to meeting with other members.
jondoig, how much beyond your budget? My understanding is that 15K should get you something to meet basic needs as I've read reports of DIY jobs for less than 10K, or am I mistaken?
Cheers.
Bob

Mark T
Groupie

Sydney Lurkers

Post by Mark T » Sun, 27 Apr 2008, 14:54

Hi Bob

Welcome aboard. I'm currently doing my first conversion and the costs add up quickly.
For a basic DC set up like mine you'll spend $10k on all the hardware not taking into account the cost of the car. Then you have to make battery boxes, mounts and wiring etc etc etc.......
But like any hobby the money doesn't matter.
Just Do It.

Mark

mattW
Groupie

Sydney Lurkers

Post by mattW » Mon, 05 May 2008, 04:46

Well I've saved up enough to commit to my first EV. Its going to be a 72V lithium powered motorbike. Getting pretty excited about it too.
Questions to come.
Cheers

cs
Noobie

Sydney Lurkers

Post by cs » Tue, 06 May 2008, 03:07

Hi All,

Another Sydney noob here.

I, like I guess many others, became very interested in EV's after watching 'Who killed the electric car?'.

I'm very keen in going to one of the Sydney meets but it's a bit of hike from the inner west to Rouse Hill and I have other distractions (newborn) that demand a fair amount of my time.

I too have been in contact with Nathan from Convert Ur Car as he appears to be the only alternative for people in Syd that dont know much but would like their own EV.

Enjoying the forum,
Cheers

Mark T
Groupie

Sydney Lurkers

Post by Mark T » Tue, 06 May 2008, 14:05

Hi cs

Welcome to the forum.

Why not give Les Puklowski a call on 02 4587 7371 and discuss conversions. He's done a couple.

Congrats on the newborn, we're battling with twins Image

Mark

woody

Sydney Lurkers

Post by woody » Sat, 21 Jun 2008, 14:10

Hi All,

I'm another Sydney lurker. I've been interested for a few years, but only found out recently there was an Australian EV scene. Went to the Sydney June meeting and met Keiron and Malcolm and others (and joined up).

cheers,
Woody
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

a4x4kiwi

Sydney Lurkers

Post by a4x4kiwi » Sat, 21 Jun 2008, 23:43

Hi Woody,

Welcome to the group. There certainly were a lot of people at the last meeting.

What part of Sydney are you located?

Regards,
Mal.
Silicon is just sand with attitude.

Blog: http://malfunction.faed.name

Mark T
Groupie

Sydney Lurkers

Post by Mark T » Sun, 22 Jun 2008, 01:33

Gday Woody
Welcome to the forum.
Hope you enjoyed your first AEVA meeting.
Mark.

woody

Sydney Lurkers

Post by woody » Sun, 22 Jun 2008, 14:41

Hi Mal / Matt,

I'm in Mt Colah (2 suburbs up from Hornsby) but am currently working in North Sydney and Frenchs Forest and love visiting EVers at lunchtime and on the way home from work :-)

cheers,
Woody
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

a4x4kiwi

Sydney Lurkers

Post by a4x4kiwi » Sun, 22 Jun 2008, 18:44

Hi Woody,

I am at Collaroy Plateau. Give me a call when you feel like making a detour on the way home from work. 0409 601 747

Regards,
Mal.

Lord_Striker
Noobie
MSN: passport2@evilhouse.net

Sydney Lurkers

Post by Lord_Striker » Tue, 01 Jul 2008, 00:30

Hey Fellas,

I tried to sign up as 'Striker' the better part of a week ago, but never received the confirmation email (even after several re-sends).
Sick of waiting, here's my new account (registered to a different email address, obviously).

I'm very experienced at drooling over the Tesla Roadster, I've been doing it for a very long time now. You could call me an expert dribbler, I guess :P

My actual knowledge about EVs is everything I've read on these forumd over the last couple of days, and Kearon's website ( http://www.evcapri.com/ )

I'm the perfect candidate for an EV, as I drive up to 100k/day, mostly only 50-60, and it's all in peak hour.

Getting together and finding out more about EVs is something I'd love to do. Looking forward to the July meeting.

Any questions? Feel free to ask.
Got MSN? I'm keen on a bit of a chat most of the time.

--Striker.

cs
Noobie

Sydney Lurkers

Post by cs » Tue, 01 Jul 2008, 04:16

Hey all,

Just wondering, why is the Sydney meeting only Bi-monthly? With all the interest growing wouldn't it be beneficial to hold it more often?

Cheers,
CS

P.S.
As you can probably tell I'm keen to go to my first meeting and can't hold out till August for the next one. Image

tonyw
Noobie

Sydney Lurkers

Post by tonyw » Tue, 01 Jul 2008, 04:44

Hi guys, another lurker. In fact, in another life, another forum, I was known as "The Masked Lurker" for a while, but these days I'm just "Masky".

I'm an electronics design engineer (retired) and I love getting my hands dirty. I modified my Mazda van to 4WD many years ago and we've been around Oz a couple of times in it.

I'd really like to get involved in an EV conversion, but it would have to be high tech and modern (AC + Li-Ion). Looking at the appalling supply problems and prices out here, I'd like to design and make a utility AC controller that others could benefit from.
My son is also an electronics engo and has his own business making after-market ECUs for hotted-up rice burners, so we know that market fairly well.

What I don't know is the size of the AC market out here. looking at the number of inquiries, I would guess that you could count on one hand the number of AC conversions in a year, not enough to recoup the investment we would need to put into a design.
However, I have my dream - to take a "standard", off-the-shelf AC 3-phase motor, an intelligent, adaptable controller and as big a battery pack as I can fit in a car, and put it all together. You never know, we might just pull it off one day.

[edit] Forgot to say, I'm in Turramurra.

Last edited by tonyw on Mon, 30 Jun 2008, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
cheers

tony

acmotor

Sydney Lurkers

Post by acmotor » Tue, 01 Jul 2008, 05:18

Hi Tony,
is www.evalbum.com/1149 the sort of thing you are thinking of ? Motor wise that is.
When can I order your new model controller ????? Image

It needs to continuously monitor pull out torque and provide max torque dynamically just below that point. People don't realise just how much poke a 3 phase motor can have in the hands of a good controller !

Properly integrated battery charging would be good with cell high/low from a lithium pack as current control.
There are some design features I would like to see in a custom controller.
Last edited by acmotor on Mon, 30 Jun 2008, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !

a4x4kiwi

Sydney Lurkers

Post by a4x4kiwi » Tue, 01 Jul 2008, 07:17

Hi Tony, Welcome to the forums.

You might like to check out my blog also. (I took most of my inspiration from acmotor) Image

I think a reasonably priced COMPACT 3 phase drive would be excellent. The drives acmotor and I are using are quite large. I may re-package my drive one day to make it significantly smaller.

Regards,
Mal.

a4x4kiwi

Sydney Lurkers

Post by a4x4kiwi » Tue, 01 Jul 2008, 07:19

Hi CS,

Welcome to the group.

There was discussion in the last meeting about making it monthly and looking for a bigger, more central venue. Keep an eye on the Sydney forum for any announcements.

Regards,
Mal.

Mesuge
Groupie

Sydney Lurkers

Post by Mesuge » Tue, 01 Jul 2008, 12:57

"The rated continuous output current from the inverter is 200A (RMS). This allows up to approximately 96kW output when running from a 230 to 480VDC voltage in a maximum 30°C (85F) ambient temperature environment."

Hi Tony, there seems to be fully documented opensource 100kW AC inverter project(for traction application) on the web. They won the prize from the CircuitCellar/Microchip for 2007. Several people tried to contact the authors for more details, but so far no replication/verification has been published after their original release. In any case you can download both the abstract and documentation here:
http://www.circuitcellar.com/microchip2 ... T2291.html

Few more details from the press:
http://www.lookoutnewspaper.com/archive ... 03/2.shtml

http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:0H ... cd=4&gl=cz

This is the university dept.:
http://www.elex.camosun.bc.ca/home/index.htm

Some discussion has been ongoing on this topic at the following forums as well:
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums

I think that mere mortals might eventually crack that holy grail aka diy 50-100kW AC inverter, such a project would certainly help the conversion scene by a huge margin (the AC Tri-Zilla won't be out for years)!

But leave those <200kW bidirectional marvels to ACP's Alan Cocconi and the young Tesla guys, so keep it simple and affordable.. Thanks! Image
Last edited by Mesuge on Tue, 01 Jul 2008, 07:25, edited 1 time in total.
ImageCzech EV Club | blog, gallery, video | http://old.elektromobily.org

Lord_Striker
Noobie

Sydney Lurkers

Post by Lord_Striker » Tue, 01 Jul 2008, 14:24

Hey CS,
Looks like I meant the August meeting in my post also :)

Workshops are supposed to fill the lonely gap between the meetings,but there hasn't been one booked for July as yet.

Another idea could be the odd dinner at random food establishment, so we can all kick back, chew on whatever edibles are served, and talk about EVs.

--Striker.

Mark T
Groupie

Sydney Lurkers

Post by Mark T » Mon, 07 Jul 2008, 03:40

I think a meeting to fill the gap is a great idea. We just need a suitable place where possibly 50 EV enthusiasts could meet for an informal chat or a workshop where we could look at conversions.

Striker
Groupie

Sydney Lurkers

Post by Striker » Mon, 07 Jul 2008, 15:36

I read somewhere on the AEVA site that we were looking at filling in the gap-month with workshops at Les'?

Whatever it is, workshop or social, I'd love to come along.

If it was a more informal get-together, for say a bite to eat and a chat, do you think there would still be 50 people attending?

--Striker.