Extension cords

Parts & Suppliers for EVs
amcgowan
Noobie

Extension cords

Post by amcgowan »

I have an EVolution portable 10amp charger, which I usually plug directly into a household 10amp socket to charge my Nissan Leaf. Occasionally, when at a friends for example, I might need an extension cord. The EVolution charger instructions say not to use an extension cord, but if there is no other option that it must be of high quality, i.e. at least 2mm cores. Does anyone know if there is a manufacturer or supplier of 2mm-core extension cords with a 10-amp plug, as I would like to get one to keep in the boot of my car in case of the need of emergency charging. The nearest I can find to this at local hardware/builders supply stores is a 10 metre 10-amp 3x1.5mm core heavy duty outdoor extension cord. If i can't find a 2mm core 10-amp extension cord anywhere in Australia, I'm wondering whether this would be OK. Any product information would be welcome. Thanks.
Bryce
Groupie

Re: Extension cords

Post by Bryce »

Hi there-you might find it hard to get 2mm² as 2mm² is not a std size. 1.0 , 1.5 and 2.5 are though. A bit of history: 2.5 used to be the std for 15A cables, but about 8yrs ago some Chinese manufacturer decided you could do 1.5 if the cable was exposed to cool in the air. The rest is history... ☺
Your best option for EV spec extension leads now is to make your own. (I have a 100m roll of 2.5 heavy duty orange cable and fit industrial spec ends for all my EV leads. BTW: The industrial spec ends use screw connections to make firm connections. Much better!). PM me with your email address and I can send you an extended article from Renew on all this.
Cheers
Bryce

[ Edited Coulomb: superscripted the final '2' in "2mm2" as it was hard to read, and possibly confusing. ]
AEVA Vic branch vice-chair
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drive: Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

amcgowan wrote: Thu, 09 Jul 2020, 13:47 The nearest I can find to this at local hardware/builders supply stores is a 10 metre 10-amp 3x1.5mm core heavy duty outdoor extension cord.
For occasional use, like at friends' places, 1.5 mm² heavy duty would be fine. [ Edit: for 10 A EVSEs. ]
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

Maybe you could buy a 15 amp lead and replace BOTH ends with 10 amp fittings.
Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce »

Hi all - re use of extension cords and power points, I did an extensive write-up about the issue at TheDriven. See:
https://thedriven.io/2019/09/04/is-it-s ... wer-point/

Cheers
Bryce
AEVA Vic branch vice-chair
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drive: Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
KlinkPC
Noobie

Post by KlinkPC »

Do you think this would do the trick for a granny charger?

https://www.allprep.com.au/product/10m- ... lug-socket
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

KlinkPC wrote: Thu, 27 Aug 2020, 14:25 Do you think this would do the trick for a granny charger?

Yep, that'd do it - assuming the charger is a 16A unit
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

KlinkPC wrote: Thu, 27 Aug 2020, 14:25 Do you think this would do the trick for a granny charger?
2.5 mm² is possibly a little overkill. [ Edit: assuming a 10 A max EVSE. For a 15 or 16 A EVSE, it's a good idea. ]

Whether it is safe or not, depends on what you plug it into. The latest regulations require a separate circuit just for the EVSE outlet, and it needs 20 A wiring to the outlet (that part will be 2.5 mm²), as per Bryce's article linked above. It's unlikely that you have one of these available anyway. You will also need to address where the plug from the EVSE plugs into the extension cord socket; it may need an "egg" to keep out the rain. You should inspect the plugs and sockets regularly to see whether they are standing up to the daily high current use.

It really is better to get a socket for the exclusive use of the EVSE wired in, and make it one that takes the screw-on clear shroud (your EVSE plug should have a mating plug of course).

Edit 2: Of course, if this is for emergency charging, that's fine, though possibly a little overkill. That 2.5 mm² cord will be quite heavy.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
KlinkPC
Noobie

Post by KlinkPC »

I was just looking at an extension cord for occasional use. For example if I was at a caravan park (in a cabin) or at a friend's place.
On the subject of caravan parks, is it OK to plug a 10a EVSE into a 15a caravan plug?
reecho

Post by reecho »

KlinkPC wrote: Thu, 27 Aug 2020, 23:07 I was just looking at an extension cord for occasional use. For example if I was at a caravan park (in a cabin) or at a friend's place.
On the subject of caravan parks, is it OK to plug a 10a EVSE into a 15a caravan plug?
Yes perfectly fine...