EV subsidies - When will Australia learn?

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
EVdownUnder
Groupie

EV subsidies - When will Australia learn?

Post by EVdownUnder »

Any politicians on this forum?
Dear PM, when are you going to stop subsidising the coal and mining industry and help our country join the rest of the world. Before we become the only country accepting dirty diesel and fuel hungry would be great. Here is an article to show you what the french president is doing...

https://thedriven.io/2020/05/27/france- ... -industry/
"The multi-billion dollar plan will include raising France’s electric vehicle subsidy from €6,000 ($A9,910) to €7,000 ($A11,560) for private vehicle owners from June 1 to December 31, 2020."

What do we get? $100 discount on our rego?
Ceramic blue Kona Highlander - Current stats:
As of 26 October 2020 (13.5 months of ownership)
40'000km at an average speed of 57km/h
126Wh/km from new
brendon_m

Re: EV subsidies - When will Australia learn?

Post by brendon_m »

We don't even get the rego discount in WA
Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy »

hypothetically speaking, if EV subsidy in the form of AUD5k per car, and end users gobbled it up enthusiastically, let say, 500k of 'em (half of annual car sales in land of Oz), that will be 2.5 BILLION AUD in that year alone... Hmmm...

I have to admit I'm not a supporter of end-user EV subside for Australian context, I don't think it's the best bang for your (tax payer's) buck.

I'd rather see the 'subsidy' in fossil fuel industry re-allocated to the renewable energy industry. Because the 'subsidy' (direct and indirect) presumably quite large, there will be enough fund (as renewable industry can operate without subsidy) to subsidise public transport using clean energy. Maybe, there'll be enough money leftover to create money-wasting-solar-paved bike path (if money wasting is the goal), with free e-bike for every citizen to boot :mrgreen: (some budget required to clean capital city's river from illegal dumping of eBike though).

Subsidising upstream battery industry, or EV transport industry (not sure how that looks like from my lack of knowledge) will definitely way better than subsidising gas industry, as they will be the future stranded assets.

Win-win situation, as there is no need of new budget allocation, said me, the expert in everything... :lol:
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

Rusdy,
Do you have any idea how much YOU are giving to the fossil fuel industry? About $1200 per year. If you have a partner and 2 kids, you are giving them $4800 per year.
And just so we are clear, the mining industry is actually COSTING money to Australia... They are bringing NOTHING to our country. Actually that's not fully accurate. They fund our right wing government to make sure nothing changes.
They employ a fraction of the people the art industry employs. And yes the arts industry do receive subsidies but they have to fight for it, and per capita it is miserable compare to what the scandalously overpaid fossil fuel bosses get. Despite the fact that when everyone is sent to confinement, they don't go an dig holes in the backyard, they watch TV, listen to music, read books...
So I'm afraid I strongly disagree with you. "...the best bang for our tax payer's buck..." We are currently very far from that.
Get a class of year 12 students to run the country and we would be in a much better place.
Ceramic blue Kona Highlander - Current stats:
As of 26 October 2020 (13.5 months of ownership)
40'000km at an average speed of 57km/h
126Wh/km from new
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

I don't think we need subsidies. Just no GST or Stamp duty on electric car sales would probably do the trick. The rego on my petrol ute is still cheaper than the discount rego on my LEAF. It can actually cost more to register and an electric car because of the battery weight.
Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy »

EVdownUnder wrote: Thu, 28 May 2020, 18:39 Rusdy,
Do you have any idea how much YOU are giving to the fossil fuel industry?
That's why I strongly recommend "I'd rather see the 'subsidy' in fossil fuel industry re-allocated to the renewable energy industry. "
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

I'd rather see the $$ invested in establishing a lithium processing plant and cell manufacture here in Australia first. Then a flow on subsidy for Australian EV manufacturers that use the Australian produced cells. They say they want to get people back to work and create jobs, wouldn't this move Australia out of the dark ages and into a future of manufacturing? Who cares if it is Hyundai, Toyota, Ford, BMW or an genuine Australian competitor, as long as they are made here in Australia using an Australian workforce and Australian produced products?
It might be time to make Australia great again, but for the average Australian rather than the top few percent ....

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy »

T1 Terry wrote: Sat, 30 May 2020, 11:58 ...
It might be time to make Australia great again, but for the average Australian rather than the top few percent ....

T1 Terry
Exactly!

In my opinion (most likely naive), subsidising EV for end users is equivalent to subsidising citizens' iPhone, instead of R&D to technology.

One success story I can think of is CSIRO WLAN patent. If government subsidising people's iPhone instead, this will only benefit the rich end users, and not those who really need affordable telecommunication device.

Same thing in subsidising EV purchase, in my opinion...
4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

The Tasmanian Government has taken the approach of subsidising the infrastructure. As a result, we are getting about 15 new DC fast chargers this year, up from 2 total in the state before that.
This is in a state of 500 k people. 17 DC fast chargers mean that the entire state is covered. If you're on a road then you'll never be further than about 150 km from a DC fast charger location! To do this took a subsidy of about $500 k, or about $1 per person in the state.
In my opinion this is a great way to subsidise EVs. It has put a fixed amount of money into the system now, without any expectation that it will continue into the future. It was a dollar-matching grant, so the companies put chargers in the spots where they thought they could make money from them.