Hyundai Sales Tactics

Hyundai and Kia Interest Group
whimpurinter

Re: Hyundai Sales Tactics

Post by whimpurinter »

You know, I do speak english.
Last edited by whimpurinter on Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

kasterboros,

I just figured out what makes as much sense as your most annoying posts.

Clive Palmer's big yellow bill boards.

Before the election, I kept saying to myself, "Surely they won't fall for that, surely they won't fall for that" and the public didn't.

Sure, he just wanted to sway the election, if nothing else, but the "We're not going to take it" What? What? and all the other garbage is why I react like this.
reecho

Post by reecho »

Yeah the first post is pretty inflammatory.

Cool story if you are a secret shopper on a mission but otherwise it's pointless.

But why stop at Hyundai?. Try Jaguar. See how you go.
Kasterborus
Groupie

Post by Kasterborus »

reecho wrote: Tue, 11 Jun 2019, 19:51 Yeah the first post is pretty inflammatory.

Cool story if you are a secret shopper on a mission but otherwise it's pointless.

But why stop at Hyundai?. Try Jaguar. See how you go.
Went to Jaguar after the first time I tried to look at a Kona electric, you can refer to thar post in the appropriate forum.
AngieD
Noobie

Post by AngieD »

I have not driven an EV yet (left that to hubby at the moment) but we have an IONIQ full electric on order but thought of a question in relation to the comment "The other plus is, I'm, assured by Hyundai, that unlike a Tesla, if I bend a Kona, I'm not waiting 6 months to have it repaired by approved technicians, any accident damage on a Kona or Ioniq can just go straight to any old panelbeater and be fixed with off the shelf parts from Hyundai" and seeing a sticker on the window of an EV Hybrid at the dealers advising first responders to be aware of the battery etc.

I would have thought that most panelbeaters won't understand the electrical nuances of an EV when it comes to fixing them. How do we know that they won't do more damage than good if trying to fix an electric car using their non-electric historical perspective to repairs?

Sorry if there is an obvious answer to this and I'm missing the point. I'm researching as fast as I can in preparation to actually owning one.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Like putting an electric car in the oven to dry the paint. Im sure the batteries would love that.
There are basic training courses for panel beaters to take so they can know how to safely work on EVs (how to isolate etc). Really anyone in an automotive trade should go on one before touching an EV and it's the employers duty of care to make sure it's safe to work on/people are trained.
And while full on battery electric cars are rare I'd guess that a lot of panel beaters have experience on hybrids like the camry and prius.
Kasterborus
Groupie

Post by Kasterborus »

True, but you don't have to bake a whole car for a single panel
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Vehicles that used hybrid fuel supplies like LPG or CNG as well as petrol or diesel must have the LPG/CNG tank removed before they go into the baking oven.
These days just about every repair must go into the baking oven because that is also the spray booth where the stray paint and vapours are either trapped in a water bath under the vehicle or through filter material.
I expect the whole industry will go through a change where much lower baking temperatures are used so the battery pack is not tortured, removing and reinstalling a battery pack would possibly push a damaged vehicle into the financial write off category and that would be the death of the panelbeater/spray painter trade once electric vehicles become the norm.
I think water based automotive paints will make a resurgence but how they establish the drying times to stop paint sag will be a hurdle they have to cross first because heat baking can't be used the way it was before.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
Kasterborus
Groupie

Post by Kasterborus »

T1 Terry wrote: Mon, 01 Jul 2019, 10:24 Vehicles that used hybrid fuel supplies like LPG or CNG as well as petrol or diesel must have the LPG/CNG tank removed before they go into the baking oven.
These days just about every repair must go into the baking oven because that is also the spray booth where the stray paint and vapours are either trapped in a water bath under the vehicle or through filter material.
I expect the whole industry will go through a change where much lower baking temperatures are used so the battery pack is not tortured, removing and reinstalling a battery pack would possibly push a damaged vehicle into the financial write off category and that would be the death of the panelbeater/spray painter trade once electric vehicles become the norm.
I think water based automotive paints will make a resurgence but how they establish the drying times to stop paint sag will be a hurdle they have to cross first because heat baking can't be used the way it was before.

T1 Terry
True, but still no need to bake whole car, it's just easier at the moment.

Take the panel off and bake it on a rack.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Not a lot of panel beating or spray painting experience in that comment. Sure, you can spray the panel and then fit it, but then you have to spray that panel and the panels adjacent to colour match/flow the different spray techniques and baking techniques that produce different colours from the same paint formula. If you just paint them and then bolt them on you end up with the old taxi look, every panel a different colour :lol:

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
Kasterborus
Groupie

Post by Kasterborus »

T1 Terry wrote: Mon, 01 Jul 2019, 11:10 Not a lot of panel beating or spray painting experience in that comment. Sure, you can spray the panel and then fit it, but then you have to spray that panel and the panels adjacent to colour match/flow the different spray techniques and baking techniques that produce different colours from the same paint formula. If you just paint them and then bolt them on you end up with the old taxi look, every panel a different colour :lol:

T1 Terry
Just going off what blokes say in the SPA group on Facebook, lot of them say if you can't do a panel off a car, you're not ready to be a painter yet. Lot of them say doing it on the car is the easy way.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

I guess time will tell. Maybe I just have a better eye for picking out different colours across a vehicle and that highlights where repairs have been carried out. A quality painter can even duplicate the ripple effect caused by the factory paint and bake method. They use a different paint to that used by the repairers, the factory paint never actually dries unless it is baked and this way continual equipment cleaning is avoided, the paint never goes off in the lines or the gun. Getting visual colour match between wet paint and the baked finish of the panel adjacent means it will be a mis-match when the paint is applied and baked. Our TAFE teacher showed us what the difference was just in spray techniques by giving all of the class a mini bonnet to prepare from bare metal and we all had the same paint mix batch to spray our finish coats. Some were hard to pick the difference, but most were quite noticeably different ... and none matched the teachers :lol: Then he showed us how to blend in between two panels that looked quite different yet the same paint batch. A very informative 12 mth course, good enough to do a complete respray from the base metal up and to do a minor repair, but certainly not enough to match the talents of our teacher, he was in a class of his own.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

mikedufty wrote: Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 11:12
brendon_m wrote: Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 08:34 No service listing on leaf, zoe or imievs though.
On the iMiEV...
-inspect traction battery capacity (not convinced they actually did this since I didn't get a report)...
Once I knew they could easily see it, I have asked for the actual battery capacity on my iMiEV at every service and consequently have tracked its gradual decline. Even though I now have 27.6AH where the original spec was 45Ah performance remains undiminished. Only the range is a bit less than when we first got the car, while remaining useful.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-2023, Hyundai Ioniq 5 2023-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy »

4Springs wrote: Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 19:35

The cars don't have much margin on them, and the servicing is almost non-existent. So you can see that a dealer would be better served by selling you a petrol car, or moving you on to another dealer.
With this in mind, we have an excellent relationship with our local dealer. They have a mindset that this is the way of the future, and they have to find a way to make it work for them. They are very happy to lend us (AEVA) vehicles for us to show, since they know that we love to talk about them.
What an excellent attitude, and being smart at the same time.

Why not use existing local user 'evangelist' to do the work? This already happened with Teslas. Let the show car being borrowed for show and tell is the easiest way to do this.