Battery pack prices plummet

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott »

At these figures, an iMiev replacement pack could be $3600...https://electrek.co/2017/01/30/electric ... la-190kwh/
Last edited by bmscott on Tue, 07 Feb 2017, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

Wow, the article itself very interesting .But Peter Egon's comment is a real eyeopener! I haven't checked his figures ,just hope he is right.
bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott »

nuggetgalore wrote:But Peter Egon's comment is a real eyeopener! I haven't checked his figures ,just hope he is right.

Thanks for noting that, I usually overlook comments - but you're right, it's got a lot of interesting tidbits!
Comet
Noobie

Re: Battery pack prices plummet

Post by Comet »

I got a quote recently from Mitsubishi Springwood for a replacement battery pack
$1200 Labour (3days work)
$6578 inc gst for the battery pack

Apparently they don't keep a battery pack, you have to order one to be shipped from Japan, usually in an iMiev as it is meant
to be cheaper that using the special crate.

The one thing I forgot to ask is do I get any money for trading in the old batteries.
I-miev it in MY10 with extras!
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Hi Comet,

Very interesting, they haven't plummeted here in the West it would appear! I just picked up my Outlander PHEV today after its traction battery was replaced because water got into the old one and caused problems. The cost was covered by my insurance (under-vehicle accident damage caused the water ingress to the battery module), but the quote was for $13,000 parts and labour! Obviously you haggled harder than I did! The replacement pack came from Japan and took about 6 weeks to arrive.

I asked Mitsubishi if I could keep the old battery. Initially the Dealer's service manager said yes. Then she said she had been overruled by MMAL for "safety" reasons. I pointed out that the old battery pack belongs to me and it was up to me to ensure it is handled safely. They replied again saying they're obliged to ensure my safety. I replied pointing out that they were infringing my rights under Australian Consumer Law and that I was happy to sign any waiver of responsibility they might want to draw up for me. Eventually they sent me a letter detailing all the ways I could be electrocuted if I took the battery.

So, as well as picking up my PHEV today, I also supervised the loading of the old battery (in the metal shipping container the replacement came in) onto a tilt-tray truck for transfer to the evShop Perth where Daniel and his team will dismantle the battery and check and retain any undamaged cells and any other useful parts. I plan to use any salvaged cells in my domestic solar storage system.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

I recently got a price for a battery pack and the trade price (through my work) was about $4200+gst. I was hoping to dismantle the pack and use the cells in a conversion. It was a very good price for 16kwh of cells. Just had to wait a few months for a pack to be shipped in. I then tried to order the pack a week later and the response was "oh, I think I quoted you on the wrong thing. Its actually $12000."
Its a good thing I wasn't quoting it for a job on a customers car.
On the other hand I sort of expected it because it was just too good of a deal
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

brendon_m wrote: Tue, 16 Oct 2018, 19:17 "oh, I think I quoted you on the wrong thing. Its actually $12000."
this is why you get quotes in writing :-)
If you don't have time to do it right,
When will you have time to do it over

Help those who help themselves first
Richo

Post by Richo »

rhills wrote: Tue, 16 Oct 2018, 19:01 I pointed out that the old battery pack belongs to me.
I've been waiting for this to happen.
The only way this would not be the case is the conditions of accepting the new battery pack.
But true would never hold up in court.
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Richo wrote: Wed, 17 Oct 2018, 13:01The only way this would not be the case is the conditions of accepting the new battery pack.
Yes, and if such a condition involved relinquishing the spare part being replaced, I would expect fair value compensation.

During my "negotiations" over the battery, I pointed out more than once that if it was a diesel Outlander and they were replacing the donk, they'd have no hesitation in letting me take away the old donk. They had to concede that point each time I made it.

Cheers,
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
Comet
Noobie

Post by Comet »

So having looked at the replacement cost and the decreasing range I am currently experiencing, I am weighing up what to do. This is the current status of my battery pack having done nearly 70,000 this the 2010 model.
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-09-22-13-21-10.png
Screenshot_2018-09-22-13-21-10.png (85.16 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Looks fine from here, but the trick will be to fully charge it and check the voltages then, likewise when close to Turtle mode. That's where the big discrepancies are.
AEVA National President, returning WA branch chair.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

The price for parts and the number of hrs labour charged to an insurance claim don't relate to the normal cost for a person off the street. The fact it can take 3 mths or more to get paid or take a hit on the amount paid if you want to factor it through a finance mob means that cost has to be written into the bill, along with the hoops needed to jump through in the whole claim process before authorisation to commence work is given. After being severely stung doing insurance work we no longer entertain the thought of doing any more.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Same goes for my work, if you have an extended warranty or an insurance claim that's your problem, we avoid dealing with them because of all the hoops you have to jump through. Last one I did was a 45min job (replace a supplied antenna) and 2.5months to get paid with over an hour of office time chasing the paperwork.
Comet
Noobie

Post by Comet »

Thanks Jonescg, I will try that