PETROL STATION CHARGING?

Discussion about EV/Battery charging infrastructure, Electric highways etc.
Randall679
Groupie

PETROL STATION CHARGING?

Post by Randall679 »

If you can't Beat 'em, Join 'em ... Has AEVA approached a major petrol station chain like BP, Caltex or Shell (or all of them) to see if they would become charging stops?

I know it was hard to get them to accept E85 and biodiesel, but if they want to attract a growing segment of the motoring market ... full sparkies and Peehevs ... they have to come to the party.

Ten years ago, I helped a friend position a sustainability petrol station ... CONSERVO ... in Melbourne ... Biodiesels B20 and B100 and E10, before they were common ... as a proof of concept for the biofuel producers. "CONSERVO: DRIVING SUSTAINABILITY!" ... it was a roaring success. A lot of the mainstream dealers saw the writing on the wall ...

I think if the business case was put to a large motor energy franchise to provide a full range of EV an PHEV charging options, it would be a big Point Of Difference for them and maybe force the others to play catchup.
brendon_m

Re: PETROL STATION CHARGING?

Post by brendon_m »

I think trying to talk to a smaller chain /independent servos would get more traction, the big ones (BP, shell etc) would surely have people doing feasibility studies all the time at the corporate level and the individual store workers/franchise owners probably can't make the call.
SparkJoy
Noobie

Post by SparkJoy »

I think that would be a great idea the more charging spots the better to help the uptake of EV's.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

As long as its not right near the entrance. We have enough trouble being iced as it is
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
SparkJoy
Noobie

Post by SparkJoy »

Yeah concur I don't mind walking would rather walk a couple of extra mins if it means I get a free charge :)
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

The OTR chain in South Australia might be interested, worth a phone call maybe?

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
Randall679
Groupie

Post by Randall679 »

What about another nationwide chain? ... I notice a lot of roadhouses have Maccas and KFC, usually open 24/7 ... much as I don't want to support fast food, I hate climate change even more ... they might want to build their enviro-cred ... even run the chargers on solar.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

If a service station sees value in offering charging at their premises, they will do it. AEVA has encouraged any business to get behind charging infrastructure but ultimately it will be driven by good old supply and demand.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

What business case can be put to service station operators for installation of charging points ? Most of us are accustomed to free charging in shopping centres etc and (unreasonably IMO) probably expect free charging at service stations as well ergo no incentive to install charging points. Even with a billing regime, how much return on investment can be expected ? Last figures I saw suggest there is only 1000 odd EVs in Australia. That figure may or may not be accurate but I don't think its far out. If we are looking at an average of one potential customer using a $50,000 Veefil or whatever once or twice a month (optomistic), there doesn't appear to be a business case. The numbers look a bit more attractive if we talk about common or garden variety 32 amp three phase outlets, providing EV drivers are educated into carrying appropriate adaptors. There is at least a precedent here with three phase outlets in some remote areas. Given the lack of any real standard implemented in Australia, I suggest there is much in favour of this solution. Billing arrangements are another issue. Personally I'm not in favour of card access arrangements and in any case I'm not aware of any plug and play setup that can be used with a regular power outlet. I am working on a very simple coin timer arrangement which cuts banksters and other profiteers out of the equation whilst still allowing the site operator to recover costs. Does anyone have a better idea ?
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

At the Adelaide meeting last night we had a presentation from the 2 people involved in the recharging station roll out throughout the Adelaide shopping precinct. The system is based on either a smart phone app or a credit/debit card tap on and off, the costs for the user were something like $1 per hr so bugger all but did at least put in the commercial basis that all business models need to even look at the idea.
The real value of course is the captive shopper, more concentrated in a servo than a shopping centre so it is the added food sales that make the financial case for electric vehicle charging to be added to the services offered.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
brunohill

Post by brunohill »

At least with the 32A 3 phase option you do not need to have mobile phone coverage to charge your car.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

brunohill wrote: Thu, 20 Sep 2018, 19:45 At least with the 32A 3 phase option you do not need to have mobile phone coverage to charge your car.
I'd expect just about every road house will have repeater stations or booster or what ever they are by the time EV charging rolls out.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn