RETROFIT SOUND GENERATOR FOR EV?

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
Randall679
Groupie

RETROFIT SOUND GENERATOR FOR EV?

Post by Randall679 »

Has anyone found a digital sound generator that can be retrofit to an EV? I’ve nearly been skittled by hybrids in EV mode ... and sadistic neighbor with a Tesla S. Most new EVs have them as they are required by law in some countries.
jonescg

Re: RETROFIT SOUND GENERATOR FOR EV?

Post by jonescg »

Or they could just pay attention... I look forward to the time when our roads are quiet enough that people are more attuned to vehicles around them.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
HeadsUp
Groupie

Post by HeadsUp »

I seriously want to incorporate one in mine for days when there is Pestrians walking around.

Waterproof speakers are easy to source and mount somewhere in the "engine bay"

My preference would be linked to throttle position and selectable options for sound such as ;

Ferrari Formula 1 engine
Lambo
The sound of the Jetsons car
Trotting horses

I am guessing a cheap way could be adapting a PS2 or similar for the sound generator ? ( I have never touched one in my life so thats a big guess )
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

AEVA National President, WA branch director.
HeadsUp
Groupie

Post by HeadsUp »

there is nothing wrong with their bell idea .

most of the time i would prefer driving in silence or with a stereo playing anyway , If concerned about battery drain from the stereo there is the option of something like a JBL Charge 3 which has its own built in battery and wont drain the vehicle battery.

But in city streets with pestrians' walking around i still like the idea of turning on a sound generator .
Johny

Post by Johny »

My family bought me an EV version of the SoundRacer mid 2015. I constructed the Jetsons sound files for it and even made turbo sound files. It runs of my controller speed OP but I still haven't installed it.
The Shelby V8 really needs a BIG speaker to sound OK.
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

OR, we could have someone walk in front of an ev holding a red flag.

Personally,my approach is to put the responsibility on the EV driver in the same way that driving any other type of vehicle is.

If you ride a motorcycle, you have to assume that all road users and pedestrians are not intelligently controlled and that you have to watch for the emerging action that will follow.

The shallowest example is the use of turn indicators. Turn signalling occurs as thought the device has a random fault and the operator had activated the signal but an open circuit initially interferes with the intention.

I have to admit that I thought the first message in the thread belongs to a troll. I'll agree that a noise generator is necessary if all expensive cars have one as well since they are often very quiet in their action (ignoring tyre noise, wind noise, as we are with evs).
HeadsUp
Groupie

Post by HeadsUp »

Johny wrote: Thu, 06 Sep 2018, 14:22 My family bought me an EV version of the SoundRacer mid 2015. I constructed the Jetsons sound files for it and even made turbo sound files. It runs of my controller speed OP but I still haven't installed it.
The Shelby V8 really needs a BIG speaker to sound OK.
ROFLOL . i didnt know they existed.

I envision a small compact version that i can activate with a momentary switch on the dashboard if i see a wobbly looking cyclist ahead of me.

Sorry to the purists but i like it purely out of respect for the safety of wobbly looking cyclists everywhere .

I have read that they dont work correctly with some EV's during regen phase so it needs further investigation.
brunohill

Post by brunohill »

They still won''t hear you with their music blasting in their earphones or see you when they are looking at their phone.
HeadsUp
Groupie

Post by HeadsUp »

brunohill wrote: Thu, 06 Sep 2018, 21:15 They still won''t hear you with their music blasting in their earphones or see you when they are looking at their phone.
38 pedestrian deaths nationally in 2017 .

If they decided they have lived on earth long enough thats their problem , but police often charge the vehicle driver with Neg driving causing death which is just wrong when the pestrians jump out without looking.
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

Ok I see where you're coming from :)

I'd change the topic to "Retrofit sound generator for all road vehicles" and then I'd be happy :)

I could never drive an EV. They're dangerous and kill people without warning LOOKOUT!!
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

If you are going slow enough to be silent, you are not going fast enough to be likely to kill someone, unless you keep going over them after hitting them, which I think could be considered negligent driving even if they are wearing headphones.
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

by Randall679 » 05 Sep 2018 15:50
Has anyone found a digital sound generator that can be retrofit to an EV? I’ve nearly been skittled by hybrids in EV mode ... and sadistic neighbor with a Tesla S. Most new EVs have them as they are required by law in some countries.

As usual, I can't let this one go.

Hey, I've got an ev and I'm worried about everybody's safety. Can anyone tell me where to get a digital sound generator so I can drive most safely?

Hey, I don't have an ev but I'm wondering where I can find a digital sound generator so that, I don't know, anyone with an ev can improve everybody's safety.

Hey, I don't like ev s because I think there's a chance that someone with their sound system in their ears won't be able to hear it. Digital Sound Generator should be loud enough to reach the endangered and louder still to overcome their personal sound level.

Hey, I know emergency services are aware that many drivers of ice cars can't hear their sirens due to windows being up and sound systems operating, but could we make ev s louder, for everybody's safety.

Hey, hybrids in ev mode have been stalking me and I almost died (we have to cover every type of ev here).

Have you seen those sadistic neighbours (American?) in their blunt-force Teslas ( No, but I wish I had one) lining me up every time I leave home?

Have you seen those older Range Rovers sitting at the lights? Yes, but what of it? Well, I saw it but thought nothing of it until it moved a way. A big puff of grey diesel exhaust followed by a light consistent grey diesel exhaust. Did you see ABC site a few days ago "Half a billion diesel particles in a sugar lump: Mining engineer warns... (the volume of). I couldn't find the article today, just the heading. Does anyone know where I can find diesel exhaust particle removal devices. These particles are hovering over and inside ev drivers and damaging their dna. No, I don't own a diesel, but I want to protect the health of others. Yes, this is a genuine request.
HeadsUp
Groupie

Post by HeadsUp »

many modern cars have a filter on the air intake , you know , that filter that many mechanics dont bother changing which makes the air stink when you turn on the fan...

If you want to be fancy about having no deisel or petrol engined fumes in your lungs , just upgrade that to a hybrid paper and carbon filter and thats one less thing to stress over.
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

Ok, I'll put this up front. What you wrote is really really silly :) :)

You say change the INTAKE FILTER in order to have NO PROBLEM with the visible and invisible shut that EXITS the exhaust....

By the way, what ev do you drive? Others will know.
HeadsUp
Groupie

Post by HeadsUp »

bladecar wrote: Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 12:53 Ok, I'll put this up front. What you wrote is really really silly :) :)

You say change the INTAKE FILTER in order to have NO PROBLEM with the visible and invisible shut that EXITS the exhaust....

By the way, what ev do you drive? Others will know.
I am talking about the intake filter on the F*****g air conditioner.

I thought only a retard would fail to comprehend thats what i meant.

how really really silly would you have to be to assume i was talking about the engine air filter , coz mate , EV's dont have a f*****g engine or a f*****g engine air filter do they.

whats your membership number in the dedshitt club ?
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

So no ev then?

I'm thinking that. You know the Star Wars films where the planet view is environmentally shot and there's all these tall buildings, probably with air-con (and very good filters).

That's how we can fix this world. Always have a special A/C intake filter and use recirc only as an improvement.

Imagine being fancy about having or not having no deisel or ptetrol engined fumes in your lungs. Put on that ole hybrid (as long as it's not dangerous) paper and carbon filter and thats one less thing to stress over. Stress all gone :)
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

Oh HeadsUp, I apologise for mixing you totally up with Randall679. You got some inappropriate attention from me because I mixed up what he started.

However, since I got you going, what I just wrote above is still the state of play.

Sorry to tar you with the doubt I formed from the initial message. I'm now guessing you do have an ev :) :)

Edit:
If Randall458 ever reads this again, I saw a big blue Tesla yesterday. It looked really big compared to other Teslas so I'm guessing it's one of those gull-wing cars.

I was sitting at the lights on my bike and I gave him a BIG THUMBS UP :) :) :) no, I don't know if he noticed .
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

OK, if the flames have died down now, I'd like to find out how others have added a sound generator to their ev for stop/start driving in towns ... or even just driving through a quite town for that matter.
I am now the proud owner of a PHEV I recently purchased for Jason in the Sydney suburbs. Not being experienced with vehicle that move in stealth mode and even after Jason warning me about the need for a 360* rotating head with eyes front and back to avoid squashing those who aren't aware of their surrounding .... I very nearly got one in a car park in Campbelltown.
Now I'm back in Mannum SA where there isn't near as many people, we still nearly have tourist season and I wouldn't want to clean up one who stepped straight off the footpath in front of me claiming the car was silent and therefore contributed to the collision.

So, what do I use? Small speakers in the grille playing what ever we are listening to inside the car? It would need its own volume control, it does get turned up rather load in the car at times 8-) Or should it actually be a vehicle type noise? I'd probably go for a Keith Black V8 in a Top Fuel rail idling at the Christmas tree waiting to launch, I could even add random order flashing blue and yellow lights under the front guards to simulate the flames from the exhaust pipes, that would be kinda hard to miss :twisted:

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

I like the flashing exhaust idea, but if the person in front has their head in their phone, they won't see it anyway.

I love that EVs are quiet and don't contribute to noise pollution, but until our population gets used to quiet cars, I think it's reasonable to make some sort of warning noise. As someone who is quite deaf, I'd like to point out that lower frequency sound has a greater range and as most people with hearing issues lose the higher frequencies first, you'll get through to us with lower frequency sound.

The vehicles I always hear are the ones with the big sub-woofers going thump-thump-thump up the street, so one option might be to just attach one of those to your stereo and have a shortcut to some Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath (or whatever equivalent works for your own music era) when you need to be heard.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Or just watch where you are going?
HeadsUp
Groupie

Post by HeadsUp »

mikedufty wrote: Tue, 18 Sep 2018, 08:48 Or just watch where you are going?
What rhills is showing in his post is Social Responsibility.

I do not wish to take a human life , even if they are at fault , so to me , its a small investment in good choices to have an audible device to warn people who look like they may be about to step onto a roadway without looking.

I wouldnt have it always turned on , but just have a button to push if needed.

Its a halfway step thats a bit softer than honking your horn. ( police sometimes hit us with infringement notices by claiming we honked in a non - emergency situation )
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Hi Rob, also being one of the hearing challenged folk, I know what you mean about hearing the low frequencies, or feeling it as well as hearing it might be more to the point. A sub woofer behind the grille, not too loud as to annoy and attract an unwanted fine, but loud enough to be noticed even by the feel method could be enough to alert those who seem to walk around oblivious to the world around them. If it is sourced from the same sound system you are listening to inside the vehicle then it wouldn't be annoying to the driver or occupants ... well as long as they had similar taste in music anyway.
The sound and light show of a Top Fuel Keith Black would be great in an underground car park though :lol:

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

HeadsUp wrote: Tue, 18 Sep 2018, 09:45 to me , its a small investment in good choices to have an audible device to warn people
It seems to me, that if oner is driving in such a fashion that they are likely to kill people unless you can depend on them hearing you coming and getting out of the way, the problem is with the driving, not the lack of noise. Even in a loud car you need to slow down if you can't keep adequate clearance to people that might step in front. The only issue I've ever had with the EV is with reversing, when it can be hard to look in all directions, and I do think the lack of engine noise means you lose one of the warning signals a car might be about to move.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

You do drive an electric vehicle don't you Michael? Today I had someone in quite little Mannum step straight in front of me. I was travelling at 40km/h in a 50km/h zone, they simply didn't hear me and chose to Jaywalk the last bit from the crossing rather than using the islands designed for pedestrian safety. He wasn't reading the paper or using his phone and I guess a silver Prius doesn't actually catch the eye so instead of stopping at the centre refuge island he continued on his way and actual at a diagonal towards me.
A noise would have alerted him I was there and had him look and stop rather than walking straight in front of me.
Yes, I stopped in time, the guy behind me barely stopped in time and fortunately there was no one behind him or there would have been a nose to tail collision. Scared the hell out of me because I still carry the injuries from a rear end collision 14 yrs ago, scared the hell out of bloke who I near cleaned up as well.
Why risk such things going badly when a simple noise generator would alert those on foot there was a vehicle approaching?

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn