Hyundai Australia Kona EV info

User avatar
mikedufty
Senior Member
Posts: 535
Joined: Tue, 02 Dec 2008, 00:15
Real Name: Michael Dufty
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Hyundai Australia Kona EV info

Post by mikedufty » Wed, 08 Aug 2018, 09:14

Converts to around $67,000 in Australian Dollars.

Rusdy
Groupie
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon, 09 Jun 2014, 16:45
Real Name: Rusdy
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Hyundai Australia Kona EV info

Post by Rusdy » Wed, 08 Aug 2018, 09:21

Looks like model 3 still it (price won't be much different?). I saw Kona (explosive version) on the road, amazingly, similar size with leaf. How on earth they fit that much battery?

User avatar
jonescg
Senior Member
Posts: 2319
Joined: Thu, 21 Jan 2010, 23:05
Real Name: Chris Jones
Location: Perth, WA.

Re: Hyundai Australia Kona EV info

Post by jonescg » Wed, 08 Aug 2018, 09:25

I think the Kona can fit that much battery because the Leaf wasn't really trying...
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

User avatar
reecho
Senior Member
Posts: 606
Joined: Sun, 17 Apr 2011, 02:39
Real Name: Richard Baird
Location: Perth WA
Contact:

Re: Hyundai Australia Kona EV info

Post by reecho » Thu, 09 Aug 2018, 17:40

mikedufty wrote:
Wed, 08 Aug 2018, 09:14
Converts to around $67,000 in Australian Dollars.
It's not that simple.

NZ does not have a free trade agreement with SK. Add to that the market is much smaller that AU.

Jump onto the Hyundai NZ page and compare pricing to the locally delivered models. You will get a sense of the scale.

Example: in Au 2018 Hyundai Accent Sport $18990AUD. The same car in NZ is $31990NZD.

The Renault Zoe sold in NZ was early 70's as well. That car is $50k here.

We have it on good authority it will be $50k here when it arrives in Feb next year. I'm waiting patiently.. :-)

User avatar
mikedufty
Senior Member
Posts: 535
Joined: Tue, 02 Dec 2008, 00:15
Real Name: Michael Dufty
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Hyundai Australia Kona EV info

Post by mikedufty » Thu, 09 Aug 2018, 20:32

It is that simple, I didn't say the Kona would be $67,000 in Australia, I just posted what the NZ price is in Australian dollars, in case other people were interested. That is what it would cost in Australian dollars if you go to New Zealand and buy one. At the moment you can't buy one in Australia.

User avatar
reecho
Senior Member
Posts: 606
Joined: Sun, 17 Apr 2011, 02:39
Real Name: Richard Baird
Location: Perth WA
Contact:

Re: Hyundai Australia Kona EV info

Post by reecho » Fri, 10 Aug 2018, 21:34

mikedufty wrote:
Thu, 09 Aug 2018, 20:32
It is that simple, I didn't say the Kona would be $67,000 in Australia, I just posted what the NZ price is in Australian dollars, in case other people were interested. That is what it would cost in Australian dollars if you go to New Zealand and buy one. At the moment you can't buy one in Australia.
People on this forum will be interested in AU pricing.

Aevzer
Noobie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed, 15 Aug 2018, 10:50
Real Name: jon denzer

Re: Hyundai Australia Kona EV info

Post by Aevzer » Thu, 16 Aug 2018, 06:34

When will they be releasing the Kona in AU?

Bryce
Groupie
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun, 13 Jun 2010, 16:54
Real Name: Bryce Gaton
Location: Melbourne

Re: Hyundai Australia Kona EV info

Post by Bryce » Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 07:54

Likely release is Feb 2019. Hoping for a more definite announcement from Hyundai at the EV Expo & Conference in Brisbane. (They are bringing one to the Expo I believe: looking forward to seeing it!!)

Cheers
Bryce
AEVA Vic Branch Secretary
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drives: 2011 Leaf, 2001 Berlingo conversion
Past drive: 2011 Blade Getz
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter

darthpaulie
Noobie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri, 31 Aug 2018, 07:10
Real Name: Paul
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Hyundai Australia Kona EV info

Post by darthpaulie » Fri, 31 Aug 2018, 08:20

Will be great to see more EV's in Australia from the OEM's. The Kona looks pretty good... well only from the Bjorn Nyland Youtube vids I have watched.
Current daily driver converted Ford Focus and Model 3 Res. holder

alexeiw123
Groupie
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed, 25 Mar 2015, 18:14
Real Name: Lex
Location: NSW
Contact:

Re: Hyundai Australia Kona EV info

Post by alexeiw123 » Wed, 05 Sep 2018, 09:17

Bryce wrote:
Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 07:54
Likely release is Feb 2019. Hoping for a more definite announcement from Hyundai at the EV Expo & Conference in Brisbane. (They are bringing one to the Expo I believe: looking forward to seeing it!!)

Cheers
Bryce
Awesome, I should be able to attend that. Very keen to see the Kona too. But it's all about how much that extra space is worth in purchase price ($) when compared to the model 3. We will see...

User avatar
jonescg
Senior Member
Posts: 2319
Joined: Thu, 21 Jan 2010, 23:05
Real Name: Chris Jones
Location: Perth, WA.

Re: Hyundai Australia Kona EV info

Post by jonescg » Wed, 05 Sep 2018, 10:26

The basest of base Model 3 is likely to start at $60k in Australia thanks to the exchange rate, and the fact Tesla is releasing tricked-out performance versions well ahead of the cheaper options. The Kona is a Model 3 competitor in that it's an electric car with a long driving range, but that's about it. Model 3 is definitely there to fill the premium sedan market.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

alexeiw123
Groupie
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed, 25 Mar 2015, 18:14
Real Name: Lex
Location: NSW
Contact:

Re: Hyundai Australia Kona EV info

Post by alexeiw123 » Wed, 05 Sep 2018, 10:38

jonescg wrote:
Wed, 05 Sep 2018, 10:26
The basest of base Model 3 is likely to start at $60k in Australia thanks to the exchange rate, and the fact Tesla is releasing tricked-out performance versions well ahead of the cheaper options. The Kona is a Model 3 competitor in that it's an electric car with a long driving range, but that's about it. Model 3 is definitely there to fill the premium sedan market.
Being a competitor in the long range affordable EV segment isn't to be understated though, In the next 12 months we might get the new leaf, the model 3 and the Kona. I've been saving for the model 3 for a long time now and watching those potential prices go up, so the choice for me is the premium high performance expensive option (model 3), or the more sedate, smaller, $? option (kona). I will definitely be making a choice between the two. I know which one I want more but the difference in price will for sure be a factor.
Keeping in mind that the exchange rate was higher when the model 3 reservations opened, I would consider a lot of model 3 reservation holders will be considering the Kona.

User avatar
jonescg
Senior Member
Posts: 2319
Joined: Thu, 21 Jan 2010, 23:05
Real Name: Chris Jones
Location: Perth, WA.

Re: Hyundai Australia Kona EV info

Post by jonescg » Wed, 05 Sep 2018, 11:54

Yes and Hyundai's latest musings on price aren't boding well...
https://www.caradvice.com.au/682173/hyu ... c-pricing/
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

alexeiw123
Groupie
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed, 25 Mar 2015, 18:14
Real Name: Lex
Location: NSW
Contact:

Re: Hyundai Australia Kona EV info

Post by alexeiw123 » Wed, 05 Sep 2018, 12:03

jonescg wrote:
Wed, 05 Sep 2018, 11:54
Yes and Hyundai's latest musings on price aren't boding well...
https://www.caradvice.com.au/682173/hyu ... c-pricing/
Tell em they're dreaming.

No matter how they swing it, the prices will be compared to the petrol version of the same car.

User avatar
mikedufty
Senior Member
Posts: 535
Joined: Tue, 02 Dec 2008, 00:15
Real Name: Michael Dufty
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Hyundai Australia Kona EV info

Post by mikedufty » Wed, 05 Sep 2018, 23:41

I guess if they manage to get it here before the Model 3 they will want to capitalise on that by selling it at more than Model 3 prices.

PiMan
Groupie
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu, 19 May 2016, 18:12
Real Name: Simon
Location: Melbourne

Re: Hyundai Australia Kona EV info

Post by PiMan » Thu, 06 Sep 2018, 08:05

mikedufty wrote:
Wed, 05 Sep 2018, 23:41
I guess if they manage to get it here before the Model 3 they will want to capitalise on that by selling it at more than Model 3 prices.
More like equal it. With the current exchange rate, I''d be surprised if the entry level Model 3 came in at under $55 000, and I think $60 000 is more likely.
This makes sense, since the price in America of the two cars is also similar as far as I can tell.

User avatar
reecho
Senior Member
Posts: 606
Joined: Sun, 17 Apr 2011, 02:39
Real Name: Richard Baird
Location: Perth WA
Contact:

Re: Hyundai Australia Kona EV info

Post by reecho » Sat, 08 Sep 2018, 11:20

PiMan wrote:
Thu, 06 Sep 2018, 08:05
mikedufty wrote:
Wed, 05 Sep 2018, 23:41
I guess if they manage to get it here before the Model 3 they will want to capitalise on that by selling it at more than Model 3 prices.
More like equal it. With the current exchange rate, I''d be surprised if the entry level Model 3 came in at under $55 000, and I think $60 000 is more likely.
This makes sense, since the price in America of the two cars is also similar as far as I can tell.
Actually to buy a Model 3 here with the same range as the Kona it will be around $76,400AUD on the road in NSW...Being the base spec with long range battery and nothing else.

User avatar
mikedufty
Senior Member
Posts: 535
Joined: Tue, 02 Dec 2008, 00:15
Real Name: Michael Dufty
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Hyundai Australia Kona EV info

Post by mikedufty » Sat, 08 Sep 2018, 13:36

And obviously noone would want to be a short range Model 3 due to our "long commutes"

Post Reply